Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Replacement Birth Certificate

As with most Counties, we have to have a copy of a child's birth certificate alongside the parent's declaration form in order for the child to qualify for their free entitlement.

I have a child who is in receipt of entitlement - I was assured that his birth certificate was away with his passport application and it would be brought in ASAP when it returned. Well, we're now well into the term and it's still not forthcoming. If I knew his father's name I could apply for a copy myself from the Registrar, but as I don't know this I'm stuck. We never see Mum, just Auntie, Gran or Granda and they give me the same story every time. His father's name isn't on any paperwork I have - so, does anyone know how I can get a copy without this information? It's my understanding that Father's details aren't always on a birth certificate anyway.

The 'Office' know that I'm waiting for it - it's all above board but I'm getting a bit anxious now!

I suspect you've tried writing to mum and telling her that she will lose the funded place if she doesn't support it with the Certificate? A gentle little squeeze on her might do the trick!!

Never had this happen before, so a bit of a loss as to what I might do. Not sure I would apply for a copy myself though -I think I'd be inclined to leave that up to Management and Info to pursue - afterall its them that really want this piece of evidence.

I had this issue once....

LEA are the ones who required it fro us to get the funding, but it was up to us to get it from the parent...

not sure if it would be legal to get a copy without being the parent or person asking for it, anyone could get it and use it for themselves.

we did the letter to parent, by hand, and post and eventually had to do the one where if they did not supply it by xxxx the child could no longer stay with reasons including the time it had already been asked for etc. ... turned up next session

We did manage to get some lea way for children who had moved suddenly and paperwork not available... but ti took me some discussions to get it...

Inge

I think birth, death and marriage certificates are all a matter of public record and as such if you have the salient details (including where the birth was registered) you can probably obtain them. However I'd personally say it is ethically dubious to do so and I would certainly not do it myself.

I think if I were in this position I would write to the parent stating that seeing the birth certificate is a condition of receiving the Nursery Education Grant funding and that if the certificate is not produced by a certain date, then the parents will be invoiced for the terms fees in full. If the parent is anything like me they may just be incredibly disorganised when it comes to paperwork. The idea of having to pay the fees in full will probably do the trick.

It is worth checking with the local authority to see what they suggest to do in these situations - and although I haven't had this situation before, it is making me wonder whether I should amend my registration form to say something to this effect.

Maz

I understood that if you can't get a copy of the birth certificate then in the mean time you can ask for other means of proof.

This can be in the format of passports, NHS medical card or something that shows the child's date of birth.

In this case the passport would be good, because you have already been told the child has one!

At least then you have something to show the auditors if they arrive :o

I understood that if you can't get a copy of the birth certificate then in the mean time you can ask for other means of proof.

This can be in the format of passports, NHS medical card or something that shows the child's date of birth.

In this case the passport would be good, because you have already been told the child has one!

At least then you have something to show the auditors if they arrive :o

er, no - we've been told the birth certificate is 'Away with the passport application'. How long do they take?

they do not usually take as long as they used to and im sure you should have it by now.

Just a warning we only take a copy of cert when the children join the setting so we have it when funding is due and i am not chasing parents for it

New child this term father said he had lost cert in move, 3 weeks later still looking for it, i said no birth cert no funding

he then told me that he had lied about his daughters age to get her in , which is why he did not want to prduce the cerifcate. Never happened to me before, i can legally take her as i am registered for over 2's but i think now i will insist on birth cert as a condition of admission

i think now i will insist on birth cert as a condition of admission

I think this would be a good plan actually: leaving any suspicious motives aside, it would at least save time later!

Maz

it certainly does save hassle later especially when trying to complete funding form deadlines

we also think this child may well be else where as well, although not a crime he has signed forms to say she is not?? life is never easy is it??

All our parens fill out admission forms to go on our waiting lists prior to amission and as well as a couple of other bits, we have a box on these forms to check that we have seen the BC. Our LA doesn't require us to keep a copy of them but does require us to see proof of age when claiming funding, saves us remembering who has or hasn't had theirs checked.

Edited by lynned55

that is the same we dont have to keep but have to say we have seen

i only fill forms once a place has been offered not as a condition of going on the waiting list as if they didn join us or get a place then that is lots more shredding to do

Obviously your admission criteria is different, so do you not accept children unless they have been baptised?

What about children that are not baptised?

Is that not complying with inclusion?