Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Question For My Fellow 'old-timers'

sunnyday

Guest MaryEMac

I had a CRB check to work at the school as midday supervisor but haven't had one for playgroup. I was police checked when social services were still inspecting. At our last ofsted I told the inspector this and she just took the number of my CRB check. (Playgroup is on the school site)

Mary

I'm still working on my "old" social services check, carried out when I first registered in 1998!

When I was Inspected in November 2007 the Inspector asked to see a copy of my CRB disclosure. When I explained the situation she looked horrified and said she'd have to phone her Boss immediately and ask what to do! :(

She rushed out of the house to use her mopile to make a call to her Manager. Panic stricken I phoned my Network co-ordinator who had never heard of anyone still working on an "old" check!

A very relieved Inspector came back to announce all was well! She'd never come across the situation before and told me I'd nearly gone from Outstanding to Inadequate in a heartbeat :o

Apparently there are (according to Ofsted!) a few hundred people in England in this position. There are no plans to get new CRB's done for them because of the cost involved. It's sort of assumed that new CRB's will be done when we move to new settings.

So, we are in fact part of a small exclusive club xD

Nona

Phew!

Thank you soooo much nona.....

Ofsted have never, ever had a problem with our police checks (mine and my deputy) but I started to read the Inspector's guidance thingy that I uploaded the other day........and it says 'the inspector will record staff CRB numbers' - this sent me into a 'flat spin' - I wouldn't knowingly 'do anything wrong'.........

I know I should really email or ring Ofsted about this issue - but I try very hard not to draw attention to myself! :o

I know I should really email or ring Ofsted about this issue - but I try very hard not to draw attention to myself! :o

I did do this, and they said that as the nominated person I get checked automatically every year - well, that's what they said ....

I am an old timer too lol I was first registered in 1992 although I had been registered in a different area since 1984 ... BUT ..and I stress the BUT...I was fine as regards Ofsted because I was an old timer childminder..whereas when I applied to do my Early Years Foundation Degree they required a CRB with full discloser which takes up to 8 weeks to complete. This lost me my place in Broadstairs which was convenient as I lived opposite the University so I had to reapply and I now have to travel to Chatham which is an hours drive from where I live. SO I would say that maybe a CRB check might be in order should any of you think about furthering your careers.,,,Just a thought anyway.

I'm still working on my "old" social services check, carried out when I first registered in 1998!

When I was Inspected in November 2007 the Inspector asked to see a copy of my CRB disclosure. When I explained the situation she looked horrified and said she'd have to phone her Boss immediately and ask what to do! :(

She rushed out of the house to use her mopile to make a call to her Manager. Panic stricken I phoned my Network co-ordinator who had never heard of anyone still working on an "old" check!

A very relieved Inspector came back to announce all was well! She'd never come across the situation before and told me I'd nearly gone from Outstanding to Inadequate in a heartbeat :o

Apparently there are (according to Ofsted!) a few hundred people in England in this position. There are no plans to get new CRB's done for them because of the cost involved. It's sort of assumed that new CRB's will be done when we move to new settings.

So, we are in fact part of a small exclusive club xD

Nona

Do you mean checked by them - but without our knowledge?

As far as I was aware there is no mechanism to do this - especially not without our notice since we have to give permission to get these checks carried out. I'm sure Big Brother isn't really watching over us Panders!

But maybe we have an expert lurking in our midst who can tell me otherwise!

Maz

Suunyday - my Iinspector recommended that I phone the Ofsted helpline, explain the situation and ask for the forms for a CRB disclosure. I did and was told they'd send the forms out. 3 weeks later, no forms! I rang again, note on their system to say "no need" to be CRB'd. :o

At least it is on their records that I tried xD Be brave - give them a call. Your conscience will be clear and Ofsted will know you've kept on top of their requirements.

Nona

Hi there

This is something our quality development officer picked up on and she made me feel really inadequate as she stressed that it's my responsibility. One of the staff who's CRB is over 3 years is on leave at the moment, but we have one who was checked just 3 years ago. I haven't found anything that states this is a requirement to be checked every 3 years. I also rang the pre-school learning alliance who said it's recommended, but not a requirement.

Everybody will have to have these re-done anyway next year with the new regulations. I don't fancy paying out for CRB's that now that have to be re-newed next year. We're due an inspection at any time now, so it's something that has been really bothering me. This person who's CRB is just 3 years will also be leaving in December.

What would you all do?

Deb

Hi Deb, I just posted a very similar question in another thread (ofsted safeguarding). I was told yesterday that our LEA recommends it but it isn't statutory. It seems pointless to spend the money with the ISA thing due to come in (although I'm dubious about when that will happen!)

I was Just wondering (in view of very recent court case) if such very old police checks are really worth anything now. Sorry and I do not wish to upset anyone but we now need to be so vigilant and aware of how bad the world can be. As a check is really only valid on the day it is done should it not be good practice for them to be repeated every three years. Just because we do not have torepeat them for Ofsted is not necessarily the right reason and we should work to the highest possible safety standards for the sake of the children.

I too was one of the ones woring under old checks... regulalry asked if it needed to be done.. no was the reply , and as Manager it was Ofsted who approved my position so if they were happy why should the setting have the expense of doing checks... It would not serve any purpose other than paper trail...

In fact they did send the the paperwork for CRB and suitable persons, once I had resigned and was no longer in the post but acting as staff until they could fill the post.... so i had a crb as manager after I had left the post! (says it all doesnt it)

and my successor.... well took 9 months for her stuff to come back with several reminders to Ofsted... Luckily she had been working at the setting, but if not they could have really been in trouble.. and once they twigged, all done in 2 weeks! so they can do it if they want to..

Inge

My point is (I think) that despite what Ofsted does or does not say the ultimate responsibilty for providing a safe setting is with the setting. So doing CRB's every three years as routine seems a sensible option. Mostly now they come through very quickly and easily. I agree the cost is a problem.

x

I was Just wondering (in view of very recent court case) if such very old police checks are really worth anything now. Sorry and I do not wish to upset anyone but we now need to be so vigilant and aware of how bad the world can be. As a check is really only valid on the day it is done should it not be good practice for them to be repeated every three years. Just because we do not have torepeat them for Ofsted is not necessarily the right reason and we should work to the highest possible safety standards for the sake of the children.

I understand your point completely........but.......

The dreadful woman that I think you are referring to in this post apparently had all of her 'checks/paperwork' in place......it seems to me that the more important issue here is good working practices within the setting.......I cannot understand how this was allowed to happen and would 'stake my life' on the fact that it could not happen in a well regulated and well managed setting. Further to that - no amount of checks of whichever type will uncover a deviant unless they have been convicted, that said I can understand that the more often a check is carried out the more chance there is of that happening.........

I think what I am trying to say - amongst my ramblings is that a 'check' is not foolproof

I am a countersignatory for a local sports club and all our coaches, managers and those who are in close contact with the children including the club photographer have to have their CRB's renewed every 3 years.

I have several CRB's for different organisations even though the one to become a countersignatory is very thorough. My husband works for an LEA school with a police check and has been informed there is no need to have a CRB for this job unless he changes his job which takes him into a different LEA. He does have a CRB for working as a volunteer with the sports club.