Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tie Dying

mps09

Hi,

Has anyone does this with little ones?

It has been years since I've done this, am I right in thinking you just twist up parts of the fabric then tie some string tightly around it. Then cold dye?

Any advise greatfully received! as always..

Cheers,

Edited by mps09

We were talking about this today! We did it a few years back - great fun! We bought a pack of rubber bands to do it and they just tied them round. They put lego bricks in and pennies and things and tied them really tightly. We had a big bucket of dye and did it in there - I'll see if I can find the photo we were looking at.. BRB

post-13453-1253911893_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1253911909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cait

i too have done this, and we bought a load of cheap mens handkerchiefs to do it so they all had their own to take home,

or you could tear up an old sheet to give them all their own piece , worked really well.

think we mounted ours onto card so they made a wall picture.

Inge

yes, we did it once with men's hankies - this lot were a bed sheet. What I'd advise though, is to put the fabric through the wash first, if it's new as it's got an almost waterproof nature which stops the dye sinking in properly.

I have done it with two dyes and that's quite cool too tie up and dye in the usual way with a pale-ish colour and then leave to dry. Leave some tied and tie some fresh ones - untying some of the first ones, and dye again in a darker colour.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)