Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Farm Visit

we have been having students from a school near to us. they run a farm on their school grounds. they have offered to let us visit the farm and provide a mini bus for us to get there.

I was really excited this was our first trip. it was a free morning out with transport and drinks and biscuits provided. then what happens ecoli outbreak at several farms.

What do I do?

rang school for their advice still waiting response.

parents have not questioned visit.

in a dilemma part of me wants to give the children a great opportunity and part of me is thinking should i cancel

help!!!!!!!!

My husband is an ex pig farmer and he says that ecoli is present on all farms, how accurate that statement is I do not know. Part of me thinks that provided you carry out good hygiene practice ie washing hands before leaving the farm and upon return to the setting, verbal instruction not to put fingers in mouths or eat anything until the set time etc, you should be fine. On the other hand, it does seem strange that there are so many outbreaks all at once.

Sorry if this is not much help.

Oh dear..what terrible timing.sounds to me like you have a difficult risk assessment to make. If I were you, I would take advice from (and record their advice in written format)

Local Health Protection Agency

Your insurance company

Your Early Years Team

The school- including having sight of their risk assessment

You need to think very carefully about contamination exposure, hygiene etc

All that said, I am a fervent believer in the value of children being allowed to visit farms, handle and feed animals etc. However, I am so glad we had our farm visit last term, and haven't another scheduled in the LT plan until 2011!!!

I think I would ask the parents what they want to do, in light of recent news. Then, if they DO want to go ahead with it, as long as you carry out good hygiene practice, hopefully all should be well.You could take a supply of the squirt stuff for cleaning hands without water, and loads of wet wipes. Difficult one really, but if the parents are still up for it, and you conduct a good risk assessment, hopefully all should be well.

Are there loads of outbeaks that there wouldnt normally be or are we just hearing about them and so it seems there is an unusal outbreak?

I'd go ahead with the trip if all the parents are happy to.

A microbiologist on the news said the most effective way of combating ecoli is by washing hands. So long as everyone sticks rigidly to that the chances are almost non existant.

Seems a shame to have to cancel

I would work from the angle that they will be learning how to keep themselves safe on a farm the same as they learn about any other sort of safety.

As long as your insurance etc is in place I would go ahead.

It is such a valuable learning experience that it would be a shame to cancel for the sake of a bit of scare-mongering. Our next generation won't even know what animals and dirt look like if we are not careful!

Just make sure your risk assessment is really comprehensive and you have lots of wipes and hand gel.

The kids will have a ball!

thanks made me feel better i agree that it is a great learning experience. just my luck that it is our first trip out and this happens. only one parent is concerned. so may keep him off. Have explained we have extra help and handwashing will be our top priority.

do you remember the days you went to farms and parks had a picnic in the middle of the field and came home again. did not wash hands all day.

we are still here.

what is happening to our children?

when ofsted visited they suggested baby wipes by the door so children could clean hands when they came in. this would be impossible some children are in and out like a yo yo.

when ofsted visited they suggested baby wipes by the door so children could clean hands when they came in. this would be impossible some children are in and out like a yo yo.

Nooooooo - I sometimes wonder how I survived my childhood - or indeed how my children survived theirs! :oxD:(

when ofsted visited they suggested baby wipes by the door so children could clean hands when they came in. This would be impossible some children are in and out like a yo yo.

So what have you got in your outdoor area which is so hazardous? A working sewage farm maybe? Perhaps a pile of rotting meat? Or is it the antique tapestry works and pile of ancient first editions books they use once they are inside? Honestly I despair!

I don't suppose it was the kind of moment to ask them to justify themselves really.

The HSE advise about farm visits for the under five's still stands - we have several local farms near us with either petting areas or full on feeding the lambs etc. stuff and this year after several years absence thought we would arrange a visit.

The link below is for one of our local farms - i'm not advertising the farm per se but they have a really fab. teachers tab which gives the hse advice and a good guide to give to parents and a risk assessment.

All these bits helped us and our parents make an "informed decision".

You might find them useful too.

Link to Farmer Palmers Farm Visit Info for Teachers and Early Years

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)