Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Hi, I am going to start my foundation degree in a couple of weeks, 1 day a week at uni and i think i may need some support, is there anyone who's doing the same this year ?

thanks

karley

Hi

I am due to start my foundation degree next week. Its early years childcare and education and is one afternoon and evening per week.

Getting a bit nervous about it now, but excited at same time!!

Edited by loubee

Welcome to the Forum karley!

Congratulations on embarking on your Foundation Degree - lots of us on here have done it and lived to tell the tale. There's lots of support and advice available on here, so make yourself at home!

Maz

Welcome to the forum Karley! :o

Good for you starting the Foundation Degree and the best of luck with it. Lots of people here have either done it, are doing it (me) or about to embark on it like yourself, so there will be lots of support and help should you need it.

Good Luck! xD

A warm welcome from me...I have done the FD - I was so anxious when I started but it was so worth it, the time will fly...I have finished with A BA (hons) in July and am already missing study......once you start it becomes infectious....I am so sad that I go to bed reading Early years education books still......enjoy the learning and ask for help and support here ...I did.. :oxD:(

welcome to the forum... i have done my degree start BA Hons next week... Good Luck

word of warning, this forum can become addictive and when you are suppose to be doing your degree work you magically find yourself on the forum.... you have been warned!!!!!!

Hi, I am going to start my foundation degree in a couple of weeks, 1 day a week at uni and i think i may need some support, is there anyone who's doing the same this year ?

thanks

karley

Hi, Im starting mine in a couple of weeks.....like you 1 day per week.

We can support each other.....be FD buddies :o

• 2 weeks later...

thanks

karley

Hi I've started the foundation degree in early years this week , so I'll probably be talking to you again shouting 'Help' especially after the induction . Everyone seemed to know so much more and were more than willing to speak up , whilst I felt that I sat there like a spare part.

Don't worry Karley your not alone !

I start my Fd in Early Years at the end of the month and I'm already scared !

Went on my induction on Monday and have been given homework to do, haven't even enrolled yet ! I just hope I can cope with it, I have to do my literacy and numeracy level two along side at a different college and then eventually my GCSE Maths and English , so I'm already wondering if I'm going to struggle to keep on top of things.

I'm going to try my best to succeed, as I'm an older student and not really going to be able to leave it to do later. Yeah I know your never to old etc, but I feel my brain cells are beginning to die, so I feel I better get on with it ! lol !

So perhaps we can all support each.

Motherclangerx

Oh and Upsy Alison Daisy - please refrain from using 'dirty words' on the forum (housework indeed - whatever next!) :o

Sunnyday

Terribly sorry Sunnyday. I will try not to utter such profanities in the future. I won't be thinking about it again until next summer holidays anyway!

Best of luck to you both - time will really fly by - I have managed to get 2 years under my belt.

As for housework - well that and several other mundane type tasks seem to go by the wayside when you are finishing off assignments!!!!!

Echo Simcity though - this is a brilliant place but v. distracting - right this minute i'm meant to be doing a lit. review (3000 words) and a team working essay (2500) words - I really must get a grip and stop dipping in here for a while :o

hello everyone...i am all new to this and not sure if this will work. :-)

I have started my FD with the Open Uni in January and now moving onto the E115 Personal Professional Development. Any one doing the same??

Andrea

Hi just had my first day at Uni for the F/D rather daunting, im already thinking oh heck when am i going to get the work started never mind finished, along with the ironing and cooking !!!!

Don't worry. You'll find a way.

I have found that doing the reading in very small chunks around other jobs actually helps me to absorb the information. Just a few minutes here and there really works for me.

Oh and I just gave up on ironing. The pile seems to stop getting bigger after a while. I must confess that my husband is currently trying to make it smaller while I catch up on some assignments - just having a little break, honest!

I'll be in trouble now - you've made me talk about housework again!

swore i wouldnt go back but did! :o

Mainly because she knew we'd be knocking on her door to drag her out by the hair!

Welcome kezo and Andrea - hope these are the first of many posts!

Maz

Hi there, I'm also starting my foundation degree and am also seriously doubting whether I have the time to do it with two young children and not wanting to sacrifice the already little time I seem to spend with them with full-time work. I'm sure it will all fit into place though?!!

I'm trying to do the 'homework' - plan how we are going to successfully complete the course. I would find this quite an easy task should I have any idea what the assignments are/ how many words etc. etc. We know when they are due in and the module title and that's about it!! Can anybody advise me on how many hours I should try to aim for, for each module including reasearch, essay plans and writing the essays.

Thanks

We were told to allow 15 hours a week for study all year round. I was really worried about this but I don't need it most of the time.

At the beginning of each module I just need to do a bit of reading each week and run back over the notes I made in the last tutorial. This only takes a couple of hours at the most.

At the end of the module, when I know what I need to read about and I am actually writing the essays I find I am working every spare moment and often working late into the night. That is only for the last two or three weeks so I find it manageable. You might be a bit more organised and clear thinking than me and able to spread the workload more evenly.

Some of my friends do nothing at all until the last two weeks and then work night and day to get it done. They get decent marks too which I wouldn't if I did that!

You will have a much better idea after your first module is finished.

My advice is to write an essay plan really early on and get feedback on it. This will give you a really good idea of how much work you still have to do. Each of our modules is one term and I usually try to start planning my essays around half term. I couldn't possibly write it at this stage but it helps me to plan ahead.

If, like me, you find what you are reading really interesting you won't struggle too much to find the time to do it.

Good luck!

:(

hello and welcome Kezo - dont worry i cried after my 1st day at Uni - swore i wouldnt go back but did! xD you will be fine once you get into it. i loved doing my FD. :o

Hi

just finished my first homework, got up at 7, then cleaned the bathroom after a shower (to wake me up) then the washing out, made the beds and i wonder why im so knackered. I am going to have to managed my time better, as i have my own preschool and still have the obs to read and the planning to start. This is without the swimming and the meals to get ready (i feel like bloody wonder woman at the mo)

Hi there, I'm also starting my foundation degree and am also seriously doubting whether I have the time to do it with two young children and not wanting to sacrifice the already little time I seem to spend with them with full-time work. I'm sure it will all fit into place though?!!

I'm trying to do the 'homework' - plan how we are going to successfully complete the course. I would find this quite an easy task should I have any idea what the assignments are/ how many words etc. etc. We know when they are due in and the module title and that's about it!! Can anybody advise me on how many hours I should try to aim for, for each module including reasearch, essay plans and writing the essays.

Thanks

Hi i know how you feel, i don't know if ive got the time. This is only after the first day, Im going to think positive and try and organise the kids and the hubbie a lot better than at the moment. Oh better go that the washer just clicked and finished best get it all hung out to dry. Hope to speak to you soon. Take Care. X

Thanks for the advise it's really helpful. I'm a very 'leave it till the last minute' kind of person but know I need to be a bit more organised because all of our assignments have to be in one week after the last session of the module. For some bizarre reason half terms and christmas, easter land after the first or second session out of 5/6.

We have six modules over the year altogether - ahhh! plus keeping on top of our professional development portfolios.

15 hours seems managable though - 4/5 evenings when the kids are in bed. think it may be the house and the partner on the receiving end of my sacrifices :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)