Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hello And Help!

:o Hi everyone i was wondering if you could give me some advice?!

I have just taken over as nursery manager and it is not the ideal situation! The previous manager has moved to another setting within the same company, and the deputy has left before i started which means that Myself and the new deputy manager (who is great!), have started at around about the same time, which i can appreciate is hard on the team.

However it has been a month now and they are not accepting myself or the deputy, they have been disrespectful and rude and i have been trying to get through to them with a friendly and positive approach, however today i had to speak to each of them individually in the office, as i have discovered that they have been telling parents that they dont like their new maangement team!!!

We have involved them in all changes that we have made, but they are not enthusiastic and just give the impression they cant be bothered. In an ideal world i would have made the changes more slowly, however the nursery was not anywhere near the required standard of quality and we are due ofste din the next term!!!!!

I feel like im banging my head against a brick wall, but i really want to make this a quality nursery and succesful business, any advice would be great!

Thanks"

HI just wanted to add my utmost sympathy (read some of my recent posts and you will soon see why!)

I don't really know what advice to offer my head is a bit mushy at the moment....will come back if I think of anything, but I really do feel for you....it is so difficult and sometimes it is so difficult to find resolution once these type of situations go on for a while....good luck... :oxD:(:(:( :wacko: xD

hello and welcome to the forum - that is really sad and all i can say is keep going, keep involving them and hopefully they will come round, have you told the managment about your conerns?

chin up and keep going - at least you have the deputy to talk too :o

nothing too useful to suggest at the moment but you have my sympathy - what a horrible situation! how long have they all been there? are they 'old school'? do the changes that you are asking for mean them doing extra work for no pay etc? maybe really prioritise and focus on the areas where the EYFS requirements are not being met. anything else, make sure you put it in your SEF - I'm sure OFSTED will mainly want to see that you know what needs changing rather than everything being completely brilliant - I hope so anyway! also, you dont want the other staff complaining to OFSTED about how you expect too much, dont involve them etc - try and get them on board at all costs! do you do supervisions/appraisals? any backup from an area manager etc? how did the last manager get on with them?

welcome to the forum by the way.

:o Hi everyone i was wondering if you could give me some advice?!

today i had to speak to each of them individually in the office, as i have discovered that they have been telling parents that they dont like their new maangement team!!!

hopefully the seeds you have sown today will bear fruit then. I'm assuming from this that you and the deputy are the 'management team'.

Possibly a way forward is a social evening for parents and staff where you and the deputy have the chance to share your 'vision' of the nursery - you want the best for the children etc.

Hi and a very warm welcome from me too! :o

What a horrible situation for you........

Really good advice already - so nothing to add.......

Hopefully your 'chat' today will have done the trick........are they a 'young' team or 'older' and stuck in their ways? Oh and before anyone shoots me ....I'm an 'oldie' but, I hope always eager to 'move on'!!! xD

Surely they are concerned about your Ofsted?????

A warm welcome to the forum from me too! :o

Sorry you are having some teething problems in your new job. I know we are over a year into EYFS but have your staff had any positive training to boost their sagging morale. What about a social evening for staff to get to know each other better. It's hard to know what will work....is there any staff member who is instigating this bad feeling or is it coming from everyone?

Hope you get it sorted soon for your sake.....do let us know what happens won't you.

Hello

I wondered too if there was someone who was more responsible and stirring up bad feeling? In my experience this can sometimes happen because that person/people feel insecure and inadequate about their role or abilities and make themselves feel better by putting others down. Are there opportunities for you to praise the good aspects of the work the staff do? Also think the idea of getting together with parents to explain what plans you have and show the nursery has strong leadership would be a good move.

It's a really tricky situation and I hope you resolve it. Stick with it and best of luck

Beehive

Hi everyone thanks for all the support! Well it has been a tough week, but i do feel as if we are getting there eventually, and as has been said i believe it is down to one particular member of staff who seems to be causing the trouble.

The team are all very young and mostly inexpreienced and very chummy with each other, i.e. go out at weekends, constantly facebooking each other etc.

I have started an action plan to get them all involved in the changes in the nursery and after having a good chat with them they seem much more focused and positive!

Thanks everyone and keep the advice coming!

xx