Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation Sheets

Hi all, this is my first posting with attachment so here goes nothing! My friend passed me an A4 sheet that she uses for obervations during group times. I loved it, have adapted it slightly and wondered what you all thought. She has been using it for a few years now and finds it works brilliantly. I am new to reception and so loved it as a kind of 'gimme' assessment/obs tool. Hope some of you find it useful, I know i will be using it loads during the forthcoming term.

Sarah

x

small_obs_sheets_for_clipboard.doc

thank you for sharing that, I like the idea of it, and will definitly consider introducing it at some point after I start in September. I am keen on the idea of shared observations, these could then be cut out and distrubuted amongst the keyworkers couldn't they.

Thanks and welcome

Clare x

Yes, my friend has clipboards scattered around the room with loads of these sheets on so that they can be picked up easily during child initiated etc by any key worker in the room.

S

x

These are great, thanks very much. Can I ask whether you set yourself a specific number of observations to do each week or day? I think this is an area of weakness for our setting and something we could develop further.

Hi all, this is my first posting with attachment so here goes nothing! My friend passed me an A4 sheet that she uses for obervations during group times. I loved it, have adapted it slightly and wondered what you all thought. She has been using it for a few years now and finds it works brilliantly. I am new to reception and so loved it as a kind of 'gimme' assessment/obs tool. Hope some of you find it useful, I know i will be using it loads during the forthcoming term.

Sarah

x

I love this site so much, you can find everything you ever need here. Thank you so much for posting this. I've been looking for it since I visited a nursery that had them! Think it must be my lucky day. Thanks again and keep up the good work everyone. Fab!! :o

hi i just thought i would share the observation sheets that i use. this includes the levels of involvement.

haivng used this for a year i am about to change it to include levels of well being and also schemas that the children are using.

I also have them on clipboards around my classroom so they are easily available

hope somebody finds this helpful!

observation_sheet.doc

Hi everyone,

I have spent ages this holiday trawling through lots of different observation sheets for use with learning journeys. I've downloaded lots and used bits of all of them to create one that will work in my setting... thought I'd share as lots of others have shared theirs with mine! (thank you!)

hope they are useful to someone

love sparkles x

obs_sheet.doc

small_obs_sheet.doc

hi! can anyone tell me why I have an angry face by my name?! Not sure how or why its there!! Im in a good mood really even tho im back to work tomorrow!!

cheers!!

Where? I can't see one - there's a little person in a red jumper - that means you are online.

Hi everyone,

I have spent ages this holiday trawling through lots of different observation sheets for use with learning journeys. I've downloaded lots and used bits of all of them to create one that will work in my setting... thought I'd share as lots of others have shared theirs with mine! (thank you!)

hope they are useful to someone

love sparkles x

I have being doing something similar for our Children's Centre but your small obs sheet hits the spot, thank you for sharing your hard work

Paula

can i just ask, on the obs you have a well being box, how do you rate well being?

Hello again, thanks for the downloads, update obs sheets was on my to do list!!

In answer to your question simcity, the EYFS has a big focus on well being and involvement and many early years advisors are saying how do we know the children are making progress if we are not monitoring these things. So there is a big push to make sure we are taking note of these when we do observations. Some LA's are also recommending the use of the Leuven Scale which is a way to assess the children in these areas, 3 times a year is recommended, then you are really looking at all the childs needs and it could explain the reasons behind slow progress etc.

I don't have a copy of this assessment at the moment, as I am still very new to all this myself, but am trying to find one.

If anyone has one could you please post it on the forum. Thanks. If I get hold of it I will post it myself.

Hope that sort of helps!!!

xxx

can i just ask, on the obs you have a well being box, how do you rate well being?

Hi Simcity ....you weren't asking me.......but I imagine they are using the Leuven scales.......perhaps you haven't been offered this training yet....if you get the opportunity it is really good and well worth doing!

ooops - sorry hadn't read Janebeth's reply!!!

Edited by sunnyday

hi! can anyone tell me why I have an angry face by my name?! Not sure how or why its there!! Im in a good mood really even tho im back to work tomorrow!!

cheers!!

Parish

Hi, yes I can see the grumpy face. Not sure how you got it there . I've tried to add one but not sure I've been successful.

Our LA is having a big push on levels of well being and involvement, and put on lots of training last year that kept being related back to the levels. they are taken from Laevers (did have the reference but cant find it at the mo) they really help you to focus in your observations. will keep looking and post them if i find them!

Hi,

We are using the simple 1 - 5 scale for well being and the 1 - 5 scale for involvement. They come from research by laevers, and bertram / pascal. I'll try and include a web link to where i found them - will someone let me know if they work???!! - I've never tried it before!

we also group screen the children once a term - it's just a simple class list and they are coloured red (for levels 1 - 2), amber (for level 3) or green (for levels 4 - 5). this allows you to easily track the children's progress and plan appropriate interventions.

http://www.kindengezin.be/Images/Zikohandl...cm149-50761.pdf - this document is great, really readable and helpful

http://www.european-agency.org/assessment/.../11/Laevers.pdf

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/northerncountry/.../link_84047.pdf

Hope that helps,

love sparkles x

Hi,

We are using the simple 1 - 5 scale for well being and the 1 - 5 scale for involvement. They come from research by laevers, and bertram / pascal. I'll try and include a web link to where i found them - will someone let me know if they work???!! - I've never tried it before!

Hope that helps,

love sparkles x

Yes Sparkles - they work beautifully!!!

Hi,

we also group screen the children once a term - it's just a simple class list and they are coloured red (for levels 1 - 2), amber (for level 3) or green (for levels 4 - 5). this allows you to easily track the children's progress and plan appropriate interventions.

http://www.kindengezin.be/Images/Zikohandl...cm149-50761.pdf - this document is great, really readable and helpful

http://www.european-agency.org/assessment/.../11/Laevers.pdf

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/northerncountry/.../link_84047.pdf

All downloaded fine, thank you. Already had the first document which is very good and the last document had the proforma that I was looking for.

Many thanks,

Jane xxx

Hope that helps,

love sparkles x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)