Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hows My Long Term Plan Looking? Opinions Please!

Be brutal, be Honest, if it's naff please tell me!! It's taken 4 days but I'd rather get it to OFsted standard as they are due anytime soon...

Loads of downloads and Just one reply... :o

thankyou cait for replying and converting it, guess I'll just go with it and see how it goes

Hmm, yes, loads of downloads - we can only hope that this means that they are reading it REALLY well and will get back to you when they've had time to digest it all!

I generally argue that the EYFS document is my long term plan, and although they look surprised, no-one has contradicted me yet!

I'm glad to hear somebody say this as we have been told not to do a long term plan since the EYFS was put in to place.

samfrostie :o

Edited by samfrostie

I think it looks quite comprehensive.

My only comment would be that the EYFS has Problem Solving Reasoning and Numeracy and not Mathematical development, its just something that bothers me. I am looking for help honest!!! xD:o

Other than that upon my quick glance looks good. :(

Hi, had a look at your long term plan and looks very similar to mine. Had ofsted recently and they seemed more interested in how i showed individual childrens next steps planning on my short term plan and built on child led interests. They liked the continuoes provision planning on display, oh and also looked at focus activity planning . much more than long term planning. Hope that helps..

Wow ...... a lot of hard work has gone into that!!!

Don't know if I dare tell you this........our EYAT insists that there is no need for a long term plan - quote 'your environment, backed up with continous planning sheets is your long term plan'

I think we all have had to find our own way with planning since the dawn of the EYFS.........mine is practically non-existant......and I'm not really convinced that is a good idea.........

Anyway.......looks good to me - well done! :o

You have been busy! It does look easy to see how you intend to cover all areas, and ensure everyone is working to the same end. I used a lot of the resources on this site to put together a Long Term Plan last year, and it linked to the principles into practice, showing which areas of our provision ensured the principles were put into practice! I felt good, knowing, as you have, that I "had it covered" but I don't think that any of the rest of the staff have actually looked at it!?

Perhaps you have planning meetings to prepare for each area? We don't do this any more, as staff "go with the flow" of their own key children - discussion with other staff is ongoing to make sure everyone is involved. However, I don't actually know on a day-to-day basis whether or not each child is getting an all round balanced curriculum. I now have to devise a monitoring plan to make sure I do know, whereas you have made sure it's covered before you start!

I'm rambling, thinking/writing aloud, but hope my comments make sense. Think everyone has their own way of doing things, and changing if it doesn't work - but at least it looks like you know what you're talking about!

Good luck with Ofsted.

Hi Jodse80, I looked at your planning as I am starting to sort our sheets out ready for september. It looks really good but I have to say along with others that we too have been advised not to do long term planning. We plan weekly looking at the childrens interests, we didnt have themes last year either (advised not to) but staff didnt like this at all so we are having themes again next year but are going to give the children alot more choice in the theme selection and build it up from there.

Not much help really but wanted to reply as I had looked at your planning

HI

Just wanted to say I think your long term plan looks fantastic.

Have to agree with previous comments though, as we have a continuous provision to cover our long term plan and then focus on the medium and weekly plans more than anything.

Ofsted were more interested in seeing how our weekly plan linked to the observations and next steps planning we put in the learning journeys so they could see the "circle of planning"!!

We now add children's initials to activites on the weekly plan, under either the keyperson activity groups or an area of the room, so they can trace them back to the observations made.

i.e. if a next step planning comment for a child is to explore capacity after playing with the water, then their initials would be beside the water tray section. Or if a child had been observed spontaneously using number language in play then we might plan a keyperson activity to play a game using number recognition.

It also means that alongside our topic for the term we also try to follow the children's interests and plan activities based on their spontaneous play. Would be nice to get rid of topics altogether but we still need the security of having them!

Its still a work in progress and we are going to be trying using a spider diagram for staff to add on spontaneous activities reflectively to show where the children's interests have been that week. This will hopefully help in future planning.

I've rambled enough for now, hope that helps and even makes sense!

Good luck for September

:o

you have put a lot of work into this it looks very detailed. I also agree with some of other posts about EYFS as long term plan but obviously depends on your setting.

Also agree with abruton, anything I have heard about recent Ofsted is that they have been interested in next steps and how observations link to planning. Am starting a new nursery position and know that this is an area that we will be looking at. I like idea of using initials on planning :o

Hi, I would agree with what others have said, in that the EYFS is our LTP and can be used reflect and evaluate on the provision and record next steps for provision, provision and next steps for the children is already covered in STP and through observation, we then need to ensure we as practitioners are providing and supporting next steps for our setting as a whole. So our long term plan is more of an audit of provision and next steps in a continuous evaluation, reflection and actions to take. Hope this makes sense.......

I have attached the audit we were given on the Observation, assessment and planning course.......

EYFS_audit1_2.doc

Edited by Guest

Same from me too...... that looks realy intresting lalaloulou.

We use the EYFS as our LTP along with festivals events etc. Sometime I worry that our planning now looks too simple! but using a document like lala's would back up what we do.

Thanks to you all for your responses. i approached my manager with all my planning and she was impressed. Told her about a lot of you saying the EYFS is your long term plan and should we go that route instead. She saw the point (as do I) but said to go with what Ive done for now as there is a medium and weekly plan too that has all taken me ages to do that takes into account next steps planning and child initiated play. Im not feeling particularly confident about my planning now but guess see what Ofsted say!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)