Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Explain Point Of Learning Journey/development Record?

Im trying to write an A4 piece about why we do these to go at the front of the book and basically saying if something hasn't been observed and marked yet and either you know your child is able to do it or you think "my child is that age and that hasn't been ticked in that area" don't panic as its based on what we observe in the setting.

I'm struggling to word it without sounding condescending to parents though, and also struggling to explain the EYFS in a short paragraph!

Any help much appreciated

Thats very comprehensive surfer - much more than Kent are giving us at the moment, our Unique Story consists of 4 A4 pages at the moment!

Nice to see that some counties go the full mile.

Kent's is under review at the moment, but I can hazard a guess it will be nothing like this.

Do you follow this religiously? Do all settings in Southampton area do this? or does Southampton say " this is a guideline, you don't have to do it this way, but as long as you are doing something similar that is o.k?" This seems to be what Kent say to us providers - clearly they would love us to do their Unique Story, but I don't think they will ever push it so far with the providers that they say we must all keep very similar formats

It's very interesting to see what other areas are offering their providers.

That explains it all really well surfer.

I stand by my earlier post though.......parents should be invited to contribute to their child's learning journey....that's how I work and it is really sucessful......bear in mind that good old phrase....

Parents are a child's first and most enduring educator.....

As you know, we use the Southampton one to base ours on - and it's uploaded on here somewhere .....

Yes, I think it's vital to get parental support so they complete the first 8 pages of the child's learning story :o and then add lots later as we go along

doesn't southampton have this...

My name is ............................................................

This is my Learning Journey.

It’s all about me.

It’s about things I do and things I say.

I can help make this book.

I can help put things in it like photos or special things I do that I think are good or interesting.

Sometimes adults will put things in

My Learning Journey.

They might write about the things I do or say.

Sometimes my family and friends might share

My Learning Journey and see all the great things I’ve been doing and learning about.

But best of all, this is My Learning Journey,

and it’s all about ME!

and this.....

During the time they are here, we gather photos, pictures etc of the things your child does in ‘My Special Book’. We collect written observations of significant things we see your child doing or things that they say, in ‘My Observation Notes’.

These things help us understand what your child can do and show us what they are interested in.

Both ‘My Special Book’ and ‘My Observation Notes’ help us plan on a day to day/week to

week basis for your child. We will also encourage you to contribute to these books and talk to us about your child regularly to help us with this. We will review all these observations and talk with you about your child’s learning and development. You will be able to see how your child is progressing and talk about how we are going to support them to continue with this progress.

As we will know all about the needs of the children in our group, this will help us plan for what we need to provide in our setting over the coming term to meet everyone’s needs.

:)

The Early Years Foundation Stage sets out requirements for working with children aged 0-5 to help them develop and learn.

At this setting we use ‘Learning Stories’ to help us support the care, learning and development of your child.

What are ‘Learning Stories’?

‘Learning Stories’ are a way of collecting observation notes and information about

every child. The information is then used to help us understand their needs and

provide for them.

What do I need to know about this?

Learning Stories is a joint process between early years’ settings and families.

Do you want me to be involved?

Yes! We really need you to be involved by talking to us about your child, telling us about things they like and are interested in and keeping us updated about anything related to your child’s needs.

We also need you to meet with us from time to time to celebrate your child’s progress and development.

and this

doesn't southampton have this...

My name is ............................................................

This is my Learning Journey.

:)

yes, that's the one

you may be able to adapt this...

Ongoing assessment is an integral part of the learning and development process. Practitioners are observing children and responding appropriately to help them make progress towards the early learning goals. Assessments are based on practitioners' observation of what children are doing in their day-to-day activities and judgements are based on observational evidence gathered from a wide range of learning and teaching contexts.

The EYFS is made up of six areas of Learning and Development. All areas of Learning and Development are connected to one another and are equally important. All areas of Learning and Development are underpinned by the principles of the EYFS.

The areas of learning are introduced in ways that are suitable for young children, It probably won't feel like learning - most children see it as just fun and play, but as they get to grips with speaking and listening, singing and dancing, stories and counting, they are gaining all the basic skills that will provide a secure foundation for later educational and social development.

The areas of Learning and Development are:

• Personal, Social and Emotional Development

• Communication, Language and Literacy

• Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy

• Knowledge and Understanding of the World

• Physical Development

• Creative Development.

Especially at this very young age, it is normal for children to develop at different speeds and to be further ahead in one area than another. These goals are designed to guide the planning of activities, not to put these very young children under pressure who are not tested at the end of the foundation stage.

ooo I've been using it for years, on our old reports to parents, adapted from info on the old foundation stage document but I can't remember sorry cait :)

• 2 years later...

This is Southampton EYDCP Learning Journey, downloaded from their site whilst it was still active. I'll have a search and see if I can find a live site

http://www.youngsouthampton.org/workforce/childcare/infoforchildminders/learning-stories.asp here you are

Southampton EYDCP Learning Story.pdf

Edited by Cait

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)