Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Travel Sickness

My 11 year old son sometimes suffers from travel sickness but usually only on long journeys. For some reason, on day trips out so far this holiday he has been suffering more regularly and more severly.

It has never been a serious problem before but now I feel that he needs something to ease the situation as it is quite distressing for him.

Just wondering what other people use/have used and how effective it is. I have heard about acupunture bands and wondered if these are any good or if the medicines over the counter at chemists would be a better option.

Thanks

Sally

I think you'll get better results with a medication. Ask your pharmacist for advice?

I tried the pressure bands on the Irish ferry when I was pregnant with my youngest, and they did work. However I'd agree with Marion - speak to your pharmacist to see which drug would suit him best. Better take something tried and tested than try something that might not work for him and only distress him more!

Maz

Definitely speak to pharmacist. Years gone by when ferries didn't have stabilisers on them to keep them steady, I used to take 2 capsules with ginger in them, I found them very effective. Failing that it was a bit of a head psyching out thing, I would sit where i could see the sky - not the horizon though or I would concentrate on something going on on the boat, so we would sit near a busy part of the ship so that I could watch people at work and concentrate on that rather than the movement of the ship.

Just another thought - is he reading in the back of the car? This always made me feel queezy.

My uncle who was a coach driver of long standing, used to sit children on a newspaper if they said they were travel sick - he said it was the carbon in the ink (sadly missing these days I suspect) the children were very rarely sick on his coaches.

You do see those funny little strips on the back of cars which make contact with the roads - they are supposed to prevent sickness too - I do feel that some of it is in the mind - if you are constantly told you have travel sickness and everyone talks about it before you set out etc.etc. it can bring it on almost.

Edited by Panders

what works for one may not work for another

I am always willing to try alternatives and if they do no harm like the band always give it a go.. nothing to lose is there..

then I try medication, see pharmacist for advice

I find all medication sends me to sleep so problem is solved!

also the sitting in front of cars works for me too.. cannot cope with back seats.. and some roads are known to make me queasy , those with fluid smooth bends!

give anything a try and see if it works..

Inge

my mum is a terrible traveller and she swears by "sea legs" but I think they ahve changed name now

I.d agree there is some mind over matter if your feeling nervous about the journey (my husbands driving does make me feel a little nausious)

but I think its also to do with middle ear, balance and knowing your moving, the best place to sit is where you have a clear view forwards not looking out of a side window where things whizz past your eyes and not reading a book where your eyes cannt see your moving

useless information - years ago when they where test driving the pendolino trains there was a high rate of travel sickness in the passengers because the ride was so smooth the passengers couldnt tell they were travelling. and it confussed their brain

I dont know how the accupuncture pressure bands work, but Ive heard a few people swear by them and they seem to work for travel sickness and morning sickness and Id be inclined to try the bands first rather than medication

I dont know how the accupuncture pressure bands work, but Ive heard a few people swear by them and they seem to work for travel sickness and morning sickness and Id be inclined to try the bands first rather than medication

My thoughts as I dont like giving medication if it can be avoided. I've read that motion sickeness can be helped by focussing on something in the distance, sitting in the front of the car when travelling or closing your eyes (obviously doesnt apply if you are the driver). :o

Thanks for the advice everyone. I knew you'd be able to sort me out.

I often travel on the ferry to the isle of man which can be quite rough at times. I use the sea bands mentioned above, which are really good and also the herbal remedy 'travella' which works wonders too.

Even after using both of the remedies i still can't sit in the back seat of a car and i definately couldn't read.

My 12 year old suffers badly from travel sickness and finds sitting in the back of the car very difficult. She is much worse if she looks at things inside the car - concentrating in the scenery really helps. However if she takes Sea Legs she can read for the whole journey from Worcestershire to Cornwall without a hint of nausea. I was amazed.

However if she takes Sea Legs she can read for the whole journey from Worcestershire to Cornwall without a hint of nausea. I was amazed.

Sounds just the job. We usually travel from worcestershire to devon - stopping lots of times on the way!

My 2 girls were both dreadful travellers and I have tried all of the above with varying success over the years. Ultimately we found plain 'nibbles' were the best solution - breadsticks and particularly Ritz crackers and ginger biscuits too (ginger is supposed to be great). I know they are older now but they now swear by a bottle of coke and say that water made them feel worse. I think nibbling little bits helps rather than nothing worked best, and our lifesaver (then and now) is a supply of margarine tubs with kitchen paper in the bottom for when everything else fails. Once used, just lob in the nearest bin and drive away!!

I often travel on the ferry to the isle of man which can be quite rough at times. I use the sea bands mentioned above, which are really good and also the herbal remedy 'travella' which works wonders too.

Even after using both of the remedies i still can't sit in the back seat of a car and i definately couldn't read.

Lucy if you cope with that journey you are doing well. I also do it frequently and it can be very very rough. The Irish sea can be dreadful. Think of all those sea shanties and the ships that went down, like Ellen Vannin. :o I don't have a problem with rough seas, in fact I love it when it is rough, but my hubby uses sea bands and they seem to work

Oh yes ginger is worth trying for any sickness, peppermint too. I suffered from travel sickness as a child then it went away in my teens and came back in my early twenties. I have the wrist bands which do help but best of all is eating when you start to feel slightly queasy - crisps, plain biscuits, ginger biscuits/ginger cake. Also, sitting in the front and looking ahead. I can't read on any moving vehicle, even reading road signs! However, I am never travel sick when I am driving.

Awful feeling, especially on a boat :o

Good luck finding what works best for your son mustangsally

ppp