Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Committee Chairperson's blues...

As if our leader going 3 weeks before the end of term, not doing everything she said she had, and then having to advertise twice for a replacement wasn't enough!!

The new leader, who had accepted the job both verbally and in writing, had been sent a contract, EY2 and job description and who I had done an employee pack and policies and procedures for, emailed me today. She has changed her mind xD

I am not paid for this! :o

Please, please don't let the next person on the list change her mind!

Sounds as if you are a bit 'ticked' there methammum. With good reason - I've been following your other thread. Have you contacted the others you interviewed?

Did she give a reason?

Do you think I doomed myself by writting such a long post on being happy we finally had someone xD

Her reasons were to do with family things she knew about previously and not actually anything that had come up, which is why I am annoyed really.

The next person on the list has agreed verbally :o

I feel so much for you. I really hope the person who has accepted verbally turns out to be a great Pre-School Leader. She will definitely be lucky to have a Chairperson like you. mrsW.x

I firmly believe these things happen for a reason - and if she was having second thoughts, I think it is better for her to tell you now rather than wait until she has been doing the job for a few weeks!

I really hope your 'second choice' will prove to be a great asset to you - sometimes these 'second chance' jobs prove to be the most successful, possibly because they are such a bonus!

Good luck!

Maz

How infuriating for you. But if she's that flaky then you're probably better off without her.

Hope the next person works out for you.

They don't pay us enough to do this job! :o

We hear so much about the problems of committees - it is good to hear the other side and the frustrations of doing 'voluntary' work. Good luck with your second choice. As Maz says it may just work out brilliantly.

gosh that was a bit of a rant wasn't it *blush*

I have to agree that things happen for a reason and I do believe that this is the best thing for the pre-school.

Oh how I feel for you!! in exactly the same boat

2 years we have been trying to find a 'proper' leader not one in name and we are currently advertising again as the week before we broke up someone else has left. Every time someone leaves we try to get a leader to no avail so we have to get an assistant.

I am really feeling like I want to move on myself now as I'm fed up of it all - so far we have been advertising for 3 weeks and have had 2 people enquire neither of which have had any experience of being in charge or working in a committee run setting.

At least you had a 2nd choice we've never been in that position!

Good luck keep us posted

Edited by thumperrabbit

Sorry I read this post before the one you answered for me on the Vacancies section - thank you for your reply on that

we too have lost our last two leaders for genuine reasons 1 moved out of the area and the other left to work in a school so both have gone to bigger and better things.

Judging by a lot of the enquiries I've had as soon as people know the group is committee run they aren't interested - really sad as we haven't really had a committee that's caused any problems for over 10 years, getting a committee sometimes is a problem but that's another rant!!

Judging by a lot of the enquiries I've had as soon as people know the group is committee run they aren't interested - really sad as we haven't really had a committee that's caused any problems for over 10 years, getting a committee sometimes is a problem but that's another rant!!

Well I must say its great to hear someone talk positively about their committee!

Its so sad to hear that people are finding it hard to attract leaders - such an important job with a lot of responsibility. It is difficult to find good level 3 practitioners here too - or maybe they just don't want to come and work for me!

Maz

Can't believe that Maz - to me you would be a fantastic person to work for!

Cue hollow laughter... :o

Seriously though - where are all these people we have spent time and money training up to level 3? Sounds like there's a research project there!

Maz

I know where most of the Level 3 people in our area are trying to go and that is into school either in the nursery classes or as a Teaching Assistant.

When I did my level 3 approx 3 years ago out of 20 in the class 12 were TA's - 6 were day nursery, 1 was a childminder and there was only myself from a playgroup setting.

I know where most of the Level 3 people in our area are trying to go and that is into school either in the nursery classes or as a Teaching Assistant.

I have to say that's my view too thumperrabbit. Wonder how the two jobs compare?

Maz

I don't think anyone is to blaim for wanting a career, pension, proper sick pay and a guaranteed job. The pre-school is such an important resource and it seems like it getting harder and harder to sustain it.

I wonder how much of the money being spent increasing the free flexible entitlement could have been used to decrease the disparity between pvi, private and LA? That is another thread though lol!

I have to say that's my view too thumperrabbit. Wonder how the two jobs compare?

Maz

I will let you know in a couple of months, as a colleague has managed to get into the school nursery close to us she starts in September. She has been at playgroup for well over 7 years now and so will have a lot of comparisons to make!

The first 2 positives have already been mentioned pay, pension and sick pay (not that she ever is!)- but for us all our children leave when they are 3 to go to school nursery which obviously leaves playgroup with mainly 2 year olds and for her she likes being with the older age group, lots of things have evolved in the last 3-4 years in childcare/education and the job isn't quite the same as when she started.

It will be interesting to see what she says thumperrabbit.

(My spelling in my previous post was dreadful - blame)!

She is on holiday and I go away at the weekend so we will have to wait until the end of the month to get together and go through everything. I am terrified she will change her mind before then!

How about you? Nobody yet?

4 application forms sent out so far, however none of them have actually returned them although closing is not until 20th August.

None of the 4 have worked in a playgroup though and none have been in charge, not necessarily a bad thing but we would prefer someone who had, maybe when they recieved the job description they felt it wasn't for them.

Fingers crossed we get a few more applicants

Edited by thumperrabbit

Don't know if my thoughts are worth anything :rolleyes: but many years ago I applied for a job as 'nursery officer' in a local authority day nursery. It was 2 years after completing my NNEB. I felt the interview went well but a couple of days later I got the 'thanks but no thanks' letter and was gutted :unsure:

Out of the blue about 10 days after receiving the letter I had a phone call to say the person who had accepted the job had now changed her mind and I was 'second choice' and therefore the job was mine if I wanted it.

My initial reaction was yippeee the job I so wanted is mine after all :( but then I suddenly thought I didn't know if I wanted to be 'second best'! So I thanked them for the offer and told them I would think about it :o

They were clearly a bit surprised and had expected me to snap the offer up! I did ring back and accept but with the proviso that I needed to go in and have a chat first. I explained that I felt 'second best' and wanted to be offered the job on my own merits and not just because someone else had changed their mind.

At the 'chat' they openly admitted they had put me as second choice because of where I trained and they thought I was 'posh' xD:( ... me... posh :( :wacko: xD

Within a couple of weeks I had a really nice genuine apology for their judgmental attitude, they were delighted to have me as part of the team and it was only then I felt I was there for the right reasons.

Sorry if this is garbled

Oh Geraldine - I can completely understand your reactions. Whoever wants to feel they were second best? Why should they have thought you would be 'grateful' ? They obviously had not thought it all through. I'm glad you pursued them and found out the reasons behind their decision - amazing the assumptions we make from the pieces of information we have.

• 1 month later...

Bumping up for thumperrabbit - did you get anyone? What has your old colleague said about being in school?

I love, love, love, our new leader - I prefered her at the interviews but the other lady just did better. I may have ranted at the time but I am so happy now!!

Bumping up for thumperrabbit - did you get anyone? What has your old colleague said about being in school?

I love, love, love, our new leader - I prefered her at the interviews but the other lady just did better. I may have ranted at the time but I am so happy now!!

Hi I did wonder where you were (just read your post on your Ofsted)

Well funny you should ask, interviews are on Thursday we did have 4 applicants and tonight I've had an email from 1 saying they've now got a job, so we are down to 3.

None of them have worked at a playgroup and none have had any leadership jobs either - so who knows!

I'm just so glad I'm not actually involved with the actual interviews anymore.

My greatly missed old colleague is loving her new job - so far she has said that the settling in of the children is just the same as playgroup lots of tears, she has said that the pace which everything happens in the school nursery is so much quicker, however they don't have to consider the 2 year olds like we have to.

It has been made clear to her that the taking home of children's learning journies is a no, no, time will be found and paid for - a huge plus point.

Setting up takes just 10mins in a morning as tables chairs are already out and once the children have gone home a quick chat to evaluate the day and 15 mins later they are leaving - an even greater plus!

And no floors to sweep or toilets to clean - oh yeah she's loving it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)