Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books Dealing With Death

Hi all,

I have a little boy at my nursery who is very interested in what happens when people die. Does anyone know of any good children's books which deal with death sensitively and in an age appropriate way (he's three) without discussing religion in a way which only presents one religious point of view??? Ie I don't want a book which only says people go to heaven when different religions have different beliefs about death and the hereafter.

Thanks for your help!!!

Danielle

Books_To_support_Children_and_Families_with_Bereavement.doc

Hopefully one of these will help.....

I am not sure where I got this list (possibly from here?) but we found it helpful when a child had a bereavement in her family, her parents hadn't told her because they didn't want to upset her! we read a couple of titles as a class in storytime, discussed and then her parents told her. I also gave them the books we had used to re read, they were just going to say her Gran had moved!

Goodbye Mog is also really good.

My little girl, who starts school in September is really interested in this subject too. She hasn't really known anyone die, thankfully, but is really intrigued by it. On Fathers' Day she drew a card for her dad with some of the daddies she knew on it - her dad and my dad and then 2 crosses 'one for daddy's daddy and one for nana's daddy'. She's said to her little brother, 'Everyone's going to die, Dylan, even you, but don't worry, mummy says it's going to be like the best party ever and there'll be unicorns'....!? To which his response was 'Everyone's going to die?.... unicorns?... let's watch beebies!' (Sigh of relief from me!) Also, when I asked her what things she was looking forward to about school, and we'd gone through various things, I said, 'It'll be great to learn to read as well, won't it?' (Thinking, you'll be able to read all your books you love so much etc) and she said, 'Yes, i'll be able to read those stones that say about people dying on them' (ie tombstones)!! A little macabre, but quite amusing!

Goodbye Mog is also really good.

My little girl, who starts school in September is really interested in this subject too. She hasn't really known anyone die, thankfully, but is really intrigued by it. On Fathers' Day she drew a card for her dad with some of the daddies she knew on it - her dad and my dad and then 2 crosses 'one for daddy's daddy and one for nana's daddy'. She's said to her little brother, 'Everyone's going to die, Dylan, even you, but don't worry, mummy says it's going to be like the best party ever and there'll be unicorns'....!? To which his response was 'Everyone's going to die?.... unicorns?... let's watch beebies!' (Sigh of relief from me!) Also, when I asked her what things she was looking forward to about school, and we'd gone through various things, I said, 'It'll be great to learn to read as well, won't it?' (Thinking, you'll be able to read all your books you love so much etc) and she said, 'Yes, i'll be able to read those stones that say about people dying on them' (ie tombstones)!! A little macabre, but quite amusing!

Oh - I love it! She sounds like an extremely bright little girl .... just trying to make sense of the world!

Unicorns.....oh I do hope so! :oxD:(

I found badgers parting gift and me and my grandpa very helpful

Badgers parting gift is one of the books I've ordered from the festival shop sale at a good price. I've not read it myself but it is often mentioned on the forum when Grieving books come up for discussion.Not sure if its still available

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)