Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The House Of Tiny Tearaways

SmileyPR

I was seeing an episode now and I just cried. It can be so tough, for the children and the parents. Not because the program is wrong, but because parents discover that their children's behaviour is greatly affected by their parents background and choices. It would be so great if parents could know of programs like this one. It helps me too, as a professional.

That is exactly how I felt, it has been on for a few years and some of the traumas have been heartrenching. You feel for the parents and the children but it also makes you realise that children are greatly affected by what goes on around them and even the child with the worst behaviour can be helped to modify it.

It has also given me a lot of tips which has helped in the nursery and along with the early years caf cards I have put a lot of it into practice with great results.

killowengirl

Difficult isn't it....on the one hand they are interesting programmes......but and it's a huge but......those poor children are being, in my humble opinion, quite dreadfully exploited.......I find it very hard to even begin to understand why the parents would want their family issues/problems to be shown on TV.......

Sunnyday

I agree Sunnyday.....also what an upheaval for the children who are already experiencing difficulties to be uprooted and live in a different environment, albeit sometimes a positive outcome it does seem strange to share your problems with the world in a social experiment...I don't really know how I feel about it all but I get quite frustrated if I watch it and end up turning it off.

Oh... but how is it possible for a child to act in such a realistic manner xD ! Ok, our role-play in the classroom, but to that point? Then I am very naive :o . I suppose that in some cases it is possible.

For example, today... there was a little boy who would constantly go to a candy machine and then say to his mum that he was being a sneaky boy (his own words). What surprised me was the fact that the mum was almost all the time behind the kitchen area and I was saying to myself, "But come out of there! Why are you there all the time?". He kept on doing it several times and I wondered how could it be that he kept on like that.

There was another case of a girl who would come to her parent's bed every night and made her mum leave her bed and take hers (the child's) so she would stay sleeping with her dad. It was heartbreaking to see the mum crying for the over 200 times they tried to put her back to bed (maybe here they exaggerated the number?) and how the girl bit her the 1st night they tried the change. You could see the marks in her arm :( . It came out that they never said "no" to her until then, they would always give into her or negotiate things.

I suppose there will be some details that could be staged, but others seemed so real. Maybe some parents might feel so desperate to fix their family problem that, when they see this program and how it seems it has helped other families, then they do whatever it takes to help themselves. It is the only explanation that comes to my head.

Edited by SmileyPR

... well you would hope not -wouldnt you????? :o

You would but, alas, I fear that is not the case.

There is a large body of people to whom their "15 minutes of fame" is paramount in their lives, no matter how it comes about.

This whole thing was Big Brother mascarading as something a little more weighty. It was a totally unnecessary experiment presented by a so-called "professional" who, quite frankly, wouldn't know what professional was if it jumped up and battered her around the head with a large brown trout. xD

• 2 weeks later...
There is a large body of people to whom their "15 minutes of fame" is paramount in their lives, no matter how it comes about.

This whole thing was Big Brother mascarading as something a little more weighty. It was a totally unnecessary experiment presented by a so-called "professional" who, quite frankly, wouldn't know what professional was if it jumped up and battered her around the head with a large brown trout. :o

Anyone would think you didn't like the woman, DDC!

Sadly I think you are right that people will go to ridiculous lengths to appear on television.

However I do have to say that I know some parents who have gained an insight into how being consistent and having firm boundaries can help their child's behaviour thanks to this programme. Not sure that the ends justify the means but it does seem to have done some good.