Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Very Sad.

I just can't believe how I am being treated at my school just because I am leaving. After having most of my construction resources taken away 2 weeks ago, (I have reception children!), I have tried to keep going and rise above it. I was not in school friday and still have monday to go but staff have told me my room is a mess. I know the new reception teacher wnats to get organised but professional courtesy seems to have totally by passed the FSL and the rest of them. All my stock of paper has been remeoved, the resources that I had to 'borrow' for the last 2 weeks have been taken and goodness knows what else! My LSA has hasd to sneak stuff out for us to use on Monday. What is wrong with them? All I ever hear is we do what is best for our children...well der! How is this best for them if they have nothing to do? There were quite alot off due to the swine flu scare so maybe as Monday is the last day there won't be many in. I'm so upset it has spoilt my weekend and I feel so sad at this bitter ending when I am leaving because I just have not had any support in my NQT year. I feel so sorry for the children. I know I will have top bite my tongue because I just don't want to be as unprofessional as they are. How do I get through Monday? :o

Oh, Kathy, what a hard way to end the year and job!

Have you got time to make a collection of empty boxes (the bigger the better)? Push the furniture out of the way (unless that's been removed as well! :o ) then just let the children play - felt tips, staples, string sellotape etc help! I've frequently done that as a change over the years and the children seem to have a wonderful time.

Hope you manage to make a lovely day for the children on Monday and enjoy the summer afterwards.

Sue xD

We've had box days in the past and the children love it. Gather as many boxes as you can of all sizes from small like Terry's choc orange ot huge ones, like the ones you use when moving house and as many in between as you can get. Then a collection of all kinds of other resources as Sue R said; then sit back and watch the fun begin! Fantastic!!!

GEt through Monday by sticking with your class if you can. See if you can get some very large pieces of paper and put out all sorts of drawing tools. Play some circle games or party games. Play some dance music and have fun. Read their favourite stories. If it isn't raining go outside with chalks and small games equipment.

I'm sorry you feel so sad at the end of your time in school. The end of Summer term is always difficult I have found, as people are tired and all busy tying up loose ends of their own. It is the time of year when tensions can come to a head, but everyone understands it is end of term blues, and in September all goes back to normal.

I'm sorry your NQT year has been difficult, so look to the future now. Have a wonderful Summer.

So sorry you are having a terrrible end to the year. Just grit your teeth and enjoy your last day with the children on Monday. Hope all goes well for you and you are so nearly there now. Take Ems x

Kathy - how sad.

Some great ideas already - enjoy your last day with your children - they are all that matters really.

How can professional people be so mean and petty - it's beyond me - anyway s** them and enjoy your last day!

Sunnyday

Buy a large bottle of bubble solution from tesco's and take them out for a play. If you can get pipe cleaners let each child make a blower loop.

Agree lots of lovely ideas and I'm sure you know how to have fun with the chilren too. :o

As to the emotional drain of 'working notice' as has already been said, the 'school' as a whole is under end of term stress / blues, plus the added 'fears' I am sure are from the Swine Flu scare and maybe also the school feel at heart that they have 'let you down' as well in terms of support in your NQT year (for whatever reasons). The new teacher I would think is anxious to be prepared for September as well. None of this excuses unprofessional behaviour but as most things, life is never black and white or simple there are always complications to deal with. Hold your head high on Monday in the knowledge that you will get through the day in a professional manner with the children at the heart of your plans.

Have a good holiday and best of luck for the future.

Peggy

thank you everyone for such sound advice. Monday went very slowly and I had 10 children away too so couldn't say goodbye to them all. I read them stories, played and chatted to them all though which I haven't really benn able to do all year. I also got lots of lovely cards and messages from parents and children which made it worth while too. I was a little taken aback by receiving flowers and gift from the staff in assembly and I was able to thank the children in the school for being so great to work with which made a good ending. My classroom however, was an utter mess and the cards the children made for the TAs had been thrown away which was so sad. At the end of the day lots of the support staff came to say goodbye and wish me good luck. I had an immense feeling of relief when I drove away and I can now look forward to new beginnings in a happier place. I can't wait!!!!!