Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Painting

we want to set up in September a painting station where children can mix there own paints and access the paints as and when and on a child intiated basis

our children range from 2.5 to 4.5

we have very young ones starting in sept with some of our 3 / 3.5 oldies

it will be a learning curve for staff and for children but we feel this would be a good route to follow

we also operate in a church hall

so my question is do any of have access like this ? If so how do you do it any tips?

I have delegated this out to a member of my staff but i think she would like a few suggestions!

thanking you

I would not let the children have free access to the full tub of powder paint but would decant it into smaller, manageable tubs for them, so that they can handle them, if they spill them you still have more paint and some children forget which way to add the water and may add it to the tub instead of putting it into something smaller like the paint pallettes.

For squeezy paints you could say '2 squeezes/ 4 squeezes' etc so that they can get a rhyme in their head for counting.

Ours have free access to bit's boxes, pritt sticks, scissors, paint brushes, rollers etc

You could have a washing up bowl for them to put their brushes etc into or for them to wash their own resourses.

Supervision at first so that they can learn how to do it independently later.

We have to explain to visitors to nursery that the children painting this way get more out of the doing and the experimenting than they do from the finished picture - sometimes that's the hardest thing for the adults, and the mess!

But hey ho independent learners have to start somewhere!

We're going with this approach too - have had a few teething problems though.

As already mentioned - there is a definite urge for the children to cover their hands constantly - resulting in a lovely murky shade of handprint being found in all sorts of places around the nursery.

Mind you - one success was the soap pump dispensers filled with squeezy paint - allows children freedom but limits waste more than a squeezy bottle does - we were going through rather a lot before this!

Have fun!

Mind you - one success was the soap pump dispensers filled with squeezy paint - allows children freedom but limits waste more than a squeezy bottle does - we were going through rather a lot before this!

I never thought of soap dispensers! I have been using the little sqeezy bottles you get from the Bodyshop with shower gel in.

Thanks for that pickle

We've always had paint mixing as basic provision. There is a progression through the year and we always start each activity with an adult led session on the large main table before transfering it.

Basic provision-non-spill water pots, pencils, selections of brush in various thicknesses, a selcetion of paper in differing shades and sizes is close by for all the craft basic provision.A pot of name cards. Whatever form of paint mixing is out there is always white and black available as well.Each child is expected to make their mark, put their painting to dry and empty, clean and refill water pot, get an apron and put away. Most are really good. The station is next to a sink with soap and paper towels.We have lables with paint mixing sums and I usually display some laminated postcards for whatevers current interest/seasonal (ikea ones)

Solid block colours-all colours, progresses to 2 blocks for specfic colours

Palettes with small amounts of ready mix (not used the soap dispensers usually adult does it but its a good tip i will try)

Small mixing pots (the inch high ones in a set of six) with dry powder paint with teaspoons and empty palettes

We expect mess from the littles as they explore when they start but our problem has been at the end of reception year with children being what I can only say as silly painting their hands and trying to touch others clothing (if they do a painting its usually great!!)

I've trawled through my photo's and can't find one of paint mixing area sorry!!

Have fun!

Oh...going to steal this idea - sounds great!

I second the soap pump dispensers, I set the paint area up and running in our pre-school room a bout 8 months ago and its still working really well now, I used the dispensers and also the scoops out of baby milk powder for the powder paint were good. I've moved into the 18months-2.5yrs room now so unfortunately, free access to paint mixing just is not an option, the closest they get to free accsess to painting is .several lidded pots of paint on their free-choice creative trolley, if a child goes and select sone- a member of staff is there like a shot! lol

Bless their little cotton socks

x

thank you guys

we have a wonderful craft trolley so they are used to helping themselves to bits and bobs glue scissors mark making etc

we are in a hall so no tap nearby but that has always been an issue painting on hands our s do often as well i was more interested in the help yourself paint table with mixing

would decant paint into smaller tubs

baby milk spoons excellent idea have tried the soap dispensers for water did not work well did not think about putting paint in tho .. good one

how is your equipment diplayed ? we are a pack away and cannot get another trolly in our cupboard so it will need to go into a box of some sort, any other suggestions

cheers me dears

Great idea to do that, messy but fun!

I had an idea for a similar 'paint with your parents' activity, where we could set up a paint station but get parents to come and join in with the children when they drop them off. I think it's something parents often avoid at home because of worries over mess. At least we have a tap close by though!

unforyunately we dont have a tap nearby and i have scrubbed many a hand print form the beatuful church stone work !!!!!!!!!!!! just dont tell my church committee!

We also use the soap dispensers - but be warned - sometimes the paint dries a bit in the nozzle end and then comes out with a rather dramatic whoosh that goes everywhere! We solved this by having a pipe cleaner bent in half with the bendy bit forming a loop. Poke the wire end up the nozzle, leaving the loop to put your finger in to pull it out. Works well and solved the problem

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)