Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swine Flu

Hiya Jojom....oh dear sorry to hear you have the dreaded Swine Flu...is it child or staff?

Anyway...I took advice of my EYAT and contacted the big O...the young man I spoke to said it's not a notifiable disease.......

The only trouble with that is - as we all know- you can get completely different answers from different people there....

Hmm....that wasn't much help really - was it?

Sunnyday

Its staff, one has it and one presenting with symptoms, have sent out letters to parents hope they are ok about it.

You have my full sympathy.......all but 2 of my parents were fine.....one just too worried and kept hers out for a while....and then I had a stroppy father...seemed to think we should be closed immediately!!!

Edited by sunnyday

We had our first confirmed case today. Sent letters home to all parents. It will be interesting to see how many are at school tomorrow!

Have had letters from schools that two of my children attend, (from two different LEAs) one a special school (no cases) the other a Secondary School (a suspected case), both letters say school will be staying open and we just have to be vigilant and they have a 'general' letter describing the symptoms.

I am on my last day of Tamiflu and feeling much better but 5 out of 8 of our children's centre staff now have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is spreading so fast I cant keep up with it!!! Every day that I have been off, I have had a text to tell me someone else has got it!!! :o

I am on my last day of Tamiflu and feeling much better but 5 out of 8 of our children's centre staff now have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you're feeling better Jenni B - hope you make a quick and full recovery!

Maz

I know this may have been discussed and I have tried searching but I could not find the answer!

I am a childminder and my husband found out today that someone who sits on his desk at work has almost definately got it.

Husband had cold symptoms last week - cold, sore throat, headache, earache, dizziness so we're wondering if he had it mildly or if he had the start of it. I said to him i wouldn't think he'd be well enough to get out of bed if he had it but he said you can get mild strains!

Anyway, my question is do I need to tell the parents of the children I look after that there's a possibility he's come into contact with it or do i wait until either he or me gets it?

Also as a childminder, presumably if he does get it I wont be able to work either?

Thanks Jen

I think it will be up to you and the parents but perhaps you should check with Ofsted or your early years team. The advice is that early years settings stay open but if there is an ill person in the house it might be different.

I would normally still work if my husband was ill but I would allow the parents to decide - they know their own circumstances best.

If you do get any official guidance we would all love to hear about it - especially us childminders.

We have 4 cases of swine flu in school now (Special School) 3 children and 1 member of staff. We're not closing but some parents have, after getting a letter, decided to keep their children off (some of the more vulnerable ones). One in my class is off till the end of term (next Friday) and I think about 4 others are staying away. Pregnant staff have been signed off as they are more at risk too.

I think it will be up to you and the parents but perhaps you should check with Ofsted or your early years team. The advice is that early years settings stay open but if there is an ill person in the house it might be different.

I would normally still work if my husband was ill but I would allow the parents to decide - they know their own circumstances best.

If you do get any official guidance we would all love to hear about it - especially us childminders.

Thanks for your advice Alison, I too always work when my husband is sick but I wondered if this was different because of the quarrantine period etc!

I think I will not contact anyone until I know for definate that my hubby's work mate has it and whether hubby has or not! He's suffers from a lot of colds anyway so of course, being a man has probably decided it's swine flu!

But will contact ofsted etc once we've had definate confirmation and will of course share any findings with the forum!

Thanks again, Jen

Our workplace student has just told me that her mum says she isn't allowed to attend our end of term celebration service because she is going on holiday in a few weeks time. Are other groups cancelling their celebrations because of fear of catching swine flu?

Today she has been constantly washing her hands every time she touches any object. As far as I know we don't have any family with swine flu and we always follow normal health procedures as all groups do.

i have heard a rumour from one of my parents today that a child who has been absent from preschool for the past week has been off with swine flu.

the parent has not phoned in to say why he has been absent, or for how long he will be off, so we do not know if it is swine flu or not, however there are a number of children who have been off since last week with symtoms not yet leading to anything confirmed.

should i send out letters to say there is suspected swine flu, or should i wait to hear it from childs mum?? i dont really know what to do, and at the end of the day one of my staff was complaining of feeling ill- banging headache and sore throat- what if this is the start of it in my setting!

should i send out letters to say there is suspected swine flu, or should i wait to hear it from childs mum??

Can you ring the parent and enquire what is wrong? Once you know for sure, then you can decide what to do.

Maz

I certainly wouldn't send out letters without being sure, so would ring to find out first.

The advice from doctors is to carry on as normal. Certainly no need to cancel anything, particularly if there is no one with the flu in any case. The only good reason I can think of to cancel is if there isn't enough adults available to run the celebrations! :o

Parents have been fine about it and no one has kept their child away.

Tyrell is on antivirals now because my niece has it, he has a really bad throat but no temp thank goodness, hope Samantha dont get it.