Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Not Shingles Apparantly, But Muscle Spasm Affecting A Nerve

UPDATE

Well doctor thinks it is a muscle spasm affecting my nerve, hence the pain and burning and pins and needles sensation.... if it persists to go back in a week as it may be shingles but right now she is not sure.... uesful hey!, so day off for me today to sit and be in pain.... back to work tommorow, even if in pain at least i will be busy LOL

Dawn

HI all,

Recently i have been run down and stressed, well this morning, early hours, i woke with the most horrendous pain across my shoulders which felt like i was being stabbed with red hot needles (pins and needless feeling that felt like it burnt). i initially thought i had slept funny but this pain was horrendous, i was sick with it. i took some pain killers and moved around... i don't feel stiff but still now the burning and pins and needles sensation is there, i feel shattered and my arms are a bit numb and tingly.

we have chickenpox in nursery, i had chickenpox as a child but am aware you can still get shingles... i have no rash as of yet, but the burning pins and needles sensation is not good... pain killers take the edge of it but the pain is still there.....

pharmacist seemed uninterested and adviced more painkillers.....

any ideas what this may be.... i have no other signs or symptoms apart from slight temperature and tiredness..

Dawn

Edited by Guest

Hi Dawn,

Sorry to hear that you are under the weather. I had shingles last year and certainly I had a stinging sensation which over the next few hours became a rash rather like blisters. Very red and uncomfortable. Go to your doctors ASAP .because the anti-virals availble really helped and I think by getting it treated quickly you can stop the nerve endings being a problem later. I had Axiclovir tablets and cream. After a week the rash was still apparent but much less annoying.

Yes we had chicken pox in the nursery too and I had it when I was four.

Best wishes to you. E

Get to your gp asap as if it is shingles antiviral therapy might help lessen the effects. Once of my friends had shingles at Easter and is still suffering quite badly with pain in her eye. She has had ti go to the gp and the eye hospital several times.

Good luck and please act quickly as it is totally debilitating, especially if you are older as my friend is.

This MAY be gallstones!

I had my Gallbladder removed last year after suffering terrible bouts of excruciating pain across my chest and shoulders. The only way i can describe it is like indigestion but much more painful.

I found that this would happen after i had eaten a high fat meal, i was generally sick with the pain too. I think this is definatley worth considering, pm me on here or facebook if you want to know more, i don't want to put all the gory details on here!!

Hi Dawn - poor you ....I haven't had shingles - but Mr Sunnyday has....sounds like it could well be to me........can't understand why the pharmacist was so unhelpful :o

Go to your GP....it's a nasty illness......don't just leave it.......have you got a rash or small 'lumps'?

All good wishes

Sunnyday

Thanks for advise everyone,

i do not have a rash just the terrible burning type pins and needles effect.

can't get in doctors until tommorow afternoon, but will see what they say then..... till then its painkillers and rest.

Dawn

I had shingles about 20 years ago and i still remember the pain. I just couldn't bear to even let my clothes touch the spots. I had it on my side. If its shingles you will get a line of very painful blisters. The doctor told me that I could be prone to it in the future but it hasn't returned yet.. My children caught chicken pox a week later so i had painful shingles and 2 stroppy grounded teenagers to deal with, not very pleasant.

I had shingles about 20 years ago and i still remember the pain

Your experiences sound the same as mine. I had it on my upper arm infact I thought it was ringworm at first as the first blisters made a circle.I too after 20+ years have not had it again. I had it quite mild I think but I had chickenpox as a child so bad I was isolated in hospital so probably had super dose of immunity to fight it

Edited by Guest

Does sound like shingles, hubby had it earlier this year.

Does your doc offer practice nurse instead? If you saw her she could get you in sooner? The virul meds are vgood at lessening the effects if taken soon enough.

Also you will feel quite run down for some months afterwards so be prepared, this is your body telling you to be peaceful!!