Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anyone Good At Maths?

sunnyday

Ok then her's a bit of maths magic for you (Im sure we have done this before so no cheating please).

This is for everyone on a Sunday evening before bed!

Think of a 3 digit number, where the digits must be different. Write it down.

Now reverse the digits (eg 123 would become 321).

Now subtract the smaller number from the larger.

Write down your answer.

Now reverse the digits of your answer. (if your number had only 2 digits, then please add a 0 in front before you revers it eg 33 would become 033 and when reversed would be 330)

Now add these last two numbers.

What did you get?

So are you all thinking.......'that poor little boy'?!

Well I'm trying to figure the maths of it all, sunnyday - and how old he must be if you're only 30, but will be married 40 years in 2012. I'm fairly certain that on that basis he hasn't even been born yet. Which makes him some kind of genius if he's doing an 11+ already!

Maz

Well I'm trying to figure the maths of it all, sunnyday - and how old he must be if you're only 30, but will be married 40 years in 2012. I'm fairly certain that on that basis he hasn't even been born yet. Which makes him some kind of genius if he's doing an 11+ already!

Maz

See...you ARE good at maths!!! :o

Well......I'm only guessing here.......but as we both got 1089 at some point....that might be the right answer!

well I am guessing too! but I think 1089 is right

I have done it with 123, 456, 789 as my three digit numbers (please note originality of my choices!)

Irrespective of which set of numbers I use I get 198 each time when I do the first subtraction and therefore 891 each time when I reverse them to add

Just for fun I have now just done it using 746 and no I don't get 198 when I subtract 647 so that blows my theory out the window ...... but only partly because I still get 1089 as the answer :o

I sure am glad I was at work tonight till 10pm and then decided to clean downstairs and do the floors and go out the back and take some lovely photos of the night sky!!

The only maths I am capable of at this time of night is . . .

a man purchases 37 Litres of fuel at a price of 99.9 pence per litre.

He has a coupon entitling him to 5p off per litre.

How much did the man pay for his fuel once the discount had been taken off (Please found all figures in your working off to 2 decimal places.)

I have been doing it all day!! To be fair the price of the fuel before the discount has been worked out for me, but seeing as you girls like a challenge . . . . :o

he's a-12 isn't he?

He certainly is........well now I know you can 'do' maths....watch out for lots of pms through the holiday! xD

Although, that said - I have every faith in Pander's suggestion - Collins Maths Dictionary - will be meeting the postie halfway down the drive in anticipation of it's arrival.........goodness I really need to 'get out more'! :o