Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Weve Had The Call!

We received the phone call we had been waiting for all year yesterday, they are coming thursday and friday. I work in a foundation unit in a primary school,even though were all dreading it, we also feel a bit relieved its actually here so we can relax for the last few weeks of term.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks Gill x

Good luck! Hope it all goes well for you. At last now it'll be over and done with and you can enjoy the summer holidays!

By the way, can anyone explain to me what's going on with the no-notice OFSTED inspections for schools? I know they're happening now, but Gill's had a phone call. Are they just trialling it in some inspections? Is it set to come into practice properly at some point? I'm utterly confused!

Good point emmajess. Our local school had ten days notice because it went over a half term. they had all the staff in for most of the week preparing! How does that make for a fair inspection?

I don't think anyone should have notice ever!

Good luck! Hope it all goes well for you. At last now it'll be over and done with and you can enjoy the summer holidays!

By the way, can anyone explain to me what's going on with the no-notice OFSTED inspections for schools? I know they're happening now, but Gill's had a phone call. Are they just trialling it in some inspections? Is it set to come into practice properly at some point? I'm utterly confused!

The no notice inspections are not happening til sept. We have just had our inspection n if u get a guy like we had u will b find he knew exactly wot should be happening in the foundation stage and spend time looking at all the different areas eg child initated learning and adult directed then made his judgement from there. Rather than poppping in 4 10 mins then making assumptions. We ended up with good with outstanding features so im sur u guys we b fab n dont forget to celebrate !!!!!!

Hello there

Just wanted to comment on the point about no notice inspections. As a setting running on a school site but as a separate entity, we 'heard' about the forthcoming Ofsted inspection as the School received notice.

A small part of me wondered whether we would be inspected at the same time as we were only just 'due' an inspection and as already stated are a completely different setting, just geographically next door.

I've recently contacted Ofsted with a query to be told that the inspector 'was not an Ofsted Inspector' and the email had appeared to allocated to the wrong team !

Are they outsourcing the Inspections ???????

Ofsted are currently trialling no notice inspections in Calderdale. 7 schools are part of the pilot, but only 5 will be visited on a no notice basis - however none will know if they will be one of the 5!

I was speaking to an inspector pal (!) and she said that these no notice insps were ok but harder work for EVERYONE, if the SEF wasn't bang up to date.

They have to have as much written evidence to support judgements and if it isn't in the online SEF, then the school has to hare around to find it on the days!

Don't forget, from Sept 09 the SEF also changes - where schools will be given specific criteria to meet on the SEF. If you don't meet these then you are immediately a certain grade! Joy!

I think the no notice inspections might also be for schools that are in special measures or have a notice to improve. That kind of makes sense I guess, but I think a bit of notice would be polite. It's not as though a couple of days makes all that much difference.

Good luck with it.

I think the no notice inspections might also be for schools that are in special measures or have a notice to improve. That kind of makes sense I guess, but I think a bit of notice would be polite.

The problem is that even with two days' notice there is an awful lot you can do to improve your outcome, and therefore what the inspector sees on the day might not be at all representative of what really happens for the rest of the year.

The only way you can get an accurate picture of a setting is by turning up and seeing what goes on when you get there. If Mrs Ofsted is reading this, don't come tomorrow because we're off to Legoland!

Maz

Our no notice inspector arrived this morning and will be back tomorrow. I'm not sure how I think it's going but I shouldn't be here, I've got things to check and update!

Al