Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

If This Isnt The Joke Of The Century

Rea

Last night I found myself unable to say NO and so this morning I'm CHAIR. :(

Funny isnt it? xD

My relationship with playgroup started 16 years ago as a mom getting some much needed relief from a toddler after having another baby.

I then became staff when my youngest was 3, because the playleader kept asking me to, I thought, 'well, why not? I get the school holidays off'.

I left 8 years later but went onto the committee as a sleeping member just to make up the numbers more than anything else and now I've slowly (but inexorably it seems) progressed to Chair.

This morning I keep shaking my head at myself. Just cant seem to say NO. :o

Good on you...if their wasn't people like you around the world would fall apart......don't feel bad...feel good...you are a YES person... :o

Edited by Guest

Oh Rea - I really identify with you - I can't say no either!

I think I may some undiagnosed condition that makes me say....."oh I could do that" - this happens even when I have planned in my own mind ......right DO NOT volunteer for anything!

I'm sure you will be a fantastic Chair - they are lucky to have such an experienced person for the role - good luck!

Sunnyday

I totaly agree with sunnyday, they are lucky to have you. xD

I too find it difficult to say NO, I'm working on trying to say Yes but...........however I haven't mastered this skill yet. :(

Peggy

p.s. At least you now have a dedicated forum section for a lot of your future posts. :(:o

Welcome Rea and congratulations if that's the right word.

I did similar to you, attended a short meeting and somehow ended up as chair. But I'm really enjoying it and what's most satisfying is that we did our leader's appraisal today and she felt really supported since the new committee members came in.

So that's what I suffer from: Rea's disease... that weird thing that happens when my brain is saying "no Marion, you have no spare time to do that with everything else you have on" whilst my mouth is simultaneously saying "yes of course I'd love to...".

Congratulations on your new appointment: never has a chair been more qualified to do the job. You'll be fab!

Maz

I was going to suggest that someone should write a training course for us all to teach us how to say no.

Then I realise that it might mean the end of the Early Years sector altogether so perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea after all. We need more yes people like you, Rea, not fewer!

well I want to echo the others in saying that the group is lucky to have you

and isn't it wonderful for the group to have a chair who actually understands the nitty gritty of the group so oftern the parents and other people on the commitee have no idea what running a group really entails

well Rea, best of luck with your new role

too many people say no to everything and it would make the world a dull place if we only said no

Guest MaryEMac

Well done Rea, you'll be great.

My problem at meetings is when someone asks for a volunteer and no-one answers, I just have to fill the silence. I can't help myself, then when I get home I wish that I had kept my mouth firmly closed.

Mary

My problem at meetings is when someone asks for a volunteer and no-one answers, I just have to fill the silence.

That's a technique the police use when interviewing people! (not that I'm speaking from experience I hasten to add!)

They use it to get people to give more information but I have to say I have used it as chair of a PTA and it is very effective.

Well Rea, at least we know there's one setting out there with a Chair that knows what they're talking about :o !

Nona

Well Rea, at least we know there's one setting out there with a Chair that knows what they're talking about xD !

Nona

here here Nina :(:( - they are very lucky to have you Rea :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)