Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeling Overwhelmed

I am a chairperson of a sessional preschool, not paid just a volunteer and I am feeling overwhelmed by the idea of ofsted visiting.

Our last inspection was 3 years ago in a few weeks, we have had 2 chairs and 2 managers since then and 2 notifiable incidents and yet they still haven't been!! Why????

Our current manager leaves in 2 weeks leaving us managerless for the last 3 weeks of term.

I am not a happy bunny.

I feel like this is a full time job before I even start on the grant applications, planning permission applications and other stuff to do with trying to get out of the church hall!

Oh well I think that is moan over - thank you :o

Oh dear - what an unhappy post. I couldn't 'read and run' without saying that you have my sympathy. I hope things resolve themselves for you for September - will you still be chair next year?

Ofsted will come when they are ready..not usually for change of chair or committee, if they did that they would be at every committee run group every year... not practical or cost effective.

I always though of them as checking we were doing Ok and giving ideas on how to improve.. to me it was always a positive thing as from there I knew how to proceed and improve.. they don't deliberately try to find things wrong... but highlight how it could be better..

Ok now I will be shot down by others but i did find it positive experience.. and did not dread it

Just ensure deputy is in place running setting for last few weeks of term wiht suitably qualified person who could take over if she was off for any reason.

It really is not worth stressing over...

and yes, chair can be a full time job, if you do it correctly...

good luck

Inge

I know you have your problems at the moment but it is so nice to see a chair showing so much interest..... i think it fantastic and i wish their was more people like you.... good luck......

Have been chair when we were fundraising and installing our own building, I can empathise, it can be a tough, full time job especially if you beleive in doing something to the best of your ability. Hopefully it will be a role that you can look back on with a real sense of achievement too. In my current role as administrator, the responsibility can seem overwhelming. The important thing is to realize you cannot do everything at once. Try to prioritize, write a plan of action. Insist that you get some help too, from other committee members or parents and staff. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

as inge said ofsted will come when they are ready . also i would like to thank you for being such a committed committee member (sorry) - we would love to have someone like you on our committee - ours doesnt want to know really and we struggle at meetings to get anything decided as most of them just want to chat to each other - and that makes it hard for us.

ofsted will be understanding of your circumstances - if they turn up at all - just make sure the deputy is in role and support her - she will probably to nervous too . x

Hi, I'm a chair too and yes, it can definitely feel overwhelming at times.

Do come and join us in our forum for committee members (have a look at the forum index) and let off steam or ask for advice as often as you like!

In terms of Ofsted, what you need to remember is that it isn't what they say or think that matters, but what your setting does on a daily basis with the children. An inspection can only ever be a 'snapshot' of a moment in time. What really counts is the difference you are making for your children and also that your setting is trying to improve (which is what the SEF should be about). So long as the children are safe and happy, that is the main thing.

I just wanted to ecco what everyone else has said.

OFSTED will turn up when the are ready. I was told this time last year (I once was a preschool manager) that OFSTED will be looking at the 'lower end' of the inspection reports before re-inspecting settings with a good or outstanding provision.

Beth

If you're worrying, have a chat with the playleader/manager. See if she's happy with how things are going. Are there any issues, concerns in any area? Does she have plans, does anyone need training, do you need equipment?

If so write a list of things that might be on Ofsteds agenda and write what your plans are to address them.

You might need more outdoor items, or have staff who need training updates or a whole host of things that can sometimes get put to the back of the queue. Get anything and everything written down along with a plan for dealing with each one. That way you show you're on the ball.

Ofsted must surely understand by now that some groups run with committee members who dont necessarily have any background in this area and so might feel swamped. Are there other members you could delegate to? If not, find someone!

I became Chair last night, first on my list is to find who to delegate to!!

Please dont worry though. I've had Ofsteds before and they arent that scarey.

Thanks guys :)

Our last Ofsted was 'only' satisfactory which is why I am so surprised that we haven't been inspected again yet.

Smoke alarms and electrical testing were done today so that is one less thing to worry about!

I have been through the EYFS with a fine tooth comb and checked our welcome pack, registration forms etc do what they should, the policies are all up to date and I think I can sleep tonight!

If we are lucky they will come tomorrow - open afternoon for new starters and prospective parents (or next Weds when we are out on our ponderosa trip)!

K xx