Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mobile Phone Directory

Inge

A public mobile phone directory for the UK will launch later this month, loaded with millions of private numbers bought from marketing departments.

From June 18, callers to 118800 will be asked for a first name, a surname and a town*. If a match is found, they will be connected to that person's mobile for £1.

you need to opt out if you do not want to be included in this..

look here for further info and details of how to opt out...

Bad enough the calls to home phone without mobile as well...

Inge

Wow, didn't know about that so thanks for the heads up! :o I really don't want calls on my mobile. There is something wrong with it and it dies if I get too many calls. I bought a new battery but it's no better, so think I will have to get a new mobile instead. xD

From what I heard last night, the directory people will send a text to the person who's number has been requested with details of who wants their number. Then its up to them to make contact. Your number is never given out.

I'll opting out on principle though, I havent given permission for my number to be sold to a directory company.

I had no idea about this so thank you Inge.

I will be making sure my daughter texts E to them tonight so that she is ex-directory. I don't like the idea that someone could get her number from a website. I would do it myself now but I can't work her phone!

Has there been anything in the news about this that I may have missed? I'm a bit concerned as if there has been nothing on the news then how do we know that this in itself is not a scam? My daughter is an Asst Manager with CPW and hasn't mentioned any of this. I'll ask her tonight when I get home and let you all know :)

This was hightlighted on BBC news this morning..

BBC morning news

and also on here

working lunch article

data watch relase mobile phone directory

I did check for scam before posting.. not one to pass on info I don't feel relevant... It may be that it will not affect everyone, but then I dont know who has my phone number on a database which is out of my control, I can at least stop this

Inge

Hi Inge - many, many thanks for that.

Had picked up on the news story last night but had completely miised the 'how to opt out' bit - intended to research today - but you have done it for me!

I am very 'selective' about who has my mobile number xD

We are driven mad with cold calls on our home phone, have no wish to be answering my mobile to 'all and sundry' :o

Thanks again

Sunnyday

Hi Inge - many, many thanks for that.

Had picked up on the news story last night but had completely miised the 'how to opt out' bit - intended to research today - but you have done it for me!

I am very 'selective' about who has my mobile number xD

We are driven mad with cold calls on our home phone, have no wish to be answering my mobile to 'all and sundry' :o

Thanks again

Sunnyday

for home phone we use telephone preference service. , and have ex directory number in addition our number has been blocked form being detected when we dial out.. it just says unrecognised number when anyone tries 1471 or has number recognition.. we have almost removed all un wanted calls this way.. only ones we get are from people we use and we have dumped credit cards if they made unsolicited calls telling them why..

really dont like unwanted calls... :(

Inge

You can opt out on home phone too.

Or borrow my children, they lost our home phone :o

or me , I lost the pre-school one... lcuky we had a spare in the drawer... they found it later in the fridge... don't ask!

Inge

or me , I lost the pre-school one... lcuky we had a spare in the drawer... they found it later in the fridge... don't ask!

Inge

I did that with my car keys. Hubby laughed his socks off!

I feel better about it now -thanks Inge!

I just put the phone down on unsolicited calls now. I used to be polite but I got so sick of them I changed tactics and it seems to be working. We don't get so many these days.

I have registered with the telephone preference service as well so I'm sure that's helping too.

for home phone we use telephone preference service. , and have ex directory number in addition our number has been blocked form being detected when we dial out.. it just says unrecognised number when anyone tries 1471 or has number recognition.. we have almost removed all un wanted calls this way.. only ones we get are from people we use and we have dumped credit cards if they made unsolicited calls telling them why..

really dont like unwanted calls... :o

Inge

Inge - I am 'in your debt' - have done this now ........ have been meaning to do it for ages - thank you so much!

Sunnyday

unsolicited phone calls are one of my pet hates...

we did discover that rather than hang up on them,to put the phone down and walk away, leaving it connected can mean that they cannot dial out again even if they hang up.. found this out by accident when a friend did not hang up properly after calling her, I had to ring her mobile and tell her to hang up the main phone as all I got when I tried to dial was her connection.. it needed both to finish the call or me to use the phone again...dont say it always worked but know it has done for me ...

also made me feel better that they were paying to talk to no one..

same trick as if you want to speak to a person not keep putting option 1, or 2 etc push the hash key when they ask for an option, usually get a person after a couple of times entering this.. or star if hash doesnt work... seems it confuses the automated response ... :o

Inge

Had heard on Radio 4 news at 5pm that apparently the company involved are putting the phone down/disconnecting calls when people are ringing up to ask to be excluded from the directory as well as there being a 4 week wait between request being put in and acted upon.

I'm afraid I put the phone down on unknown number calls these days - was beseiged by them when I lived in a rented house asking for ex-tennants!

I see that Inge is posting as I write and no doubt she's telling you how to opt out, blondie!

I heard an interesting discussion about this last night on the radio - first to speak was a 'privacy advocate' who advises companies about issues around freedom of information and privacy. He had been engaged by this company to look at how their system would work and was involved from the inception of the project. However he quickly realised that a lot of the data is generated by people like us who use the internet a lot and who might not rememeber to tick the box marked 'please don't contact me by telephone' in the small print at the bottom of the screen when buy things online. He judged that this would therefore mean that in order not to have our numbers placed in the database, we'd have to opt out, as Inge has previously highlighted. Once he realised there was no way round this aspect, he withdrew his involvement and is now very much against the company.

The next person to speak was the marketing lady for the directory company who seemed unaware of the irony of her protestations that our data is secure with them because they don't sell it on, when they had clearly purchased our data from someone else in the first place, since none of us has given her company permission to add our numbers directly. xD She kept saying that it was unfeasible for them to ask us all individually if we would like to join their database since this would not 'build a big enough directory database to offer consumers' when what she really meant was that it would be too expensive and therefore there would be little or no profit in it. Fortunately the interviewer was skilled enough to ask the right questions so that we could make our own informed judgements!

Am going to opt out now. :o

Maz

how did you know Maz...

I am quite good at picking up these subtle hints Inge - and you seem quite passionate about this one! :o

I've opted out, and even if it takes four weeks to work I doubt there will be a sudden rush to use this service anyway - if someone wants my mobile number the chances are they'll have it anyway. At £1 a shot it won't be used for marketing purposes so I can't really see that there's a business here at all.

Maz