Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Type Of Building

Core

Hi,

This is a question for pre schools and nursery settings.

Do any of you work in a building using the ground floor and first floor, and was/is it a house?

The question has been asked about whether a fire escape is required for using the first floor - just curious, really.

Core

we have a nursery in a converted house and use the upstairs but do not have a separate fire escape we just have a fire evacuation procedure and risk assessments in place and this has been passed by O and the fire officer

Hi,

It was just a question that came up as we were talking about the different buildings used for pre schools and nurseries.

No one had any answers, so I thought I would ask the knowledgeable people on the forum.

I will pass on your comments.

Many thanks.

Core

I have just asked my partner who is an architect! If the building was given permission as an EY setting long ago when fire regs. were more relaxed, then the fire officer can't force the owners to put in an external fire escape now. If, however, someone was to apply for permission now (or even alter the building) then the fire officer can insist on escapes, and anything else he has a notion to.

Gruffalo2 :o

We are in a semi detached victoria house. We use both floors with only one stairwell.

Makes you think though doesn't it?

Hi - we operate from the first floor of a community building - built 14 years ago - has fire escape - not external though.

Not sure that makes sense ...... so - we have main stairwell and then in addition to this another set of internal stairs as an alternative escape route.

Sunnyday