Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Sef - Only Satisfactory

Heard through the grapevine today that if you haven't completed your SEF, you can't get higher than a satisfactory when inspected.

Anyone heard this?

ppp

I don't think SEF's are compulsory as long as you can show another format or another way that you evaluate practice.

samfrostie :o

Edited by samfrostie

Hi

I had an inspection in early October - hadn't done the SEF and was told because of that couldn't get better than satisfactory, even though we still had the old Ofsted self evaluation stuff in place.

However, I was later at a meeting with Michael Hart of Ofsted and he said the SEF is not compulsory, but they do like to see that you are reflecting on practice in some way. In reality though I think inspectors might just take the easy route and say 'no SEF = satisfactory at best'

Hope that helps, would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences

It is good practice to do some form of self evaluation and essential to achieve good quality childcare. The SEF is not statutory, but if you don't use this then you should have some other way to evaluate your provision. I am sure that if you have something in place and can demonstrate it's effectiveness, then this would be acceptable. However, having nothing in place would show a weakness in the setting and almost certainly wouldn't be graded outstanding.

We were told by Early Years Advisor that couln't get outstanding if no SEF, but got the impression they were just guessing. I suppose we need those who have recently had inspections to dispell the "myths"

Maybe these cheeky EYA's only say these things to get us moving!

I think Beau is right. You don't HAVE to do the Ofsted SEF, but if you do not, you have to really be able to show that you use soemthing else instead and that is is really effective.

Gruffalo2 :o

I would hazard a guess that Carol and Gruffalo2 are bang on!!

I would advise anyone who hasn't started their SEF, though, that it is a good idea to do so!! (unless they have a cracking alternative!!) Ours is complete bar a paragraph, but then we do have an excellent raft of development plans and evaluations of previous ones (and, no, I'm not being partisan, we have been told they are excellent!)

Sue

We had our ofsted in January, we had not done our sef but did have our SEJAR in place through the local EECU. We got 5 outstandings and 9 goods. Still haven't done my SEF, will be doing it over the summer holidays!!!

we have had several local childminders inspected recently .Each was asked if they d completed their sef when they got they phone call to say the big O was coming

There are 2 who did nt do their sef and both got overall good!!!!!!!!!!

have ofsted in and only got satisfactory, she comment that got this in the area of mangment becuase no SEF. wish i had done it now would have got good then in this area.

Guest MaryEMac

I have not yet finished our SEF but we do a Quality Framework document which was developed by the county which should be okay. I hope it is, because the school are being Ofsteded next week and even tho we are only based on their site and not run by them I have a sneaky suspicion that their eyes will turn towards us. will let you know what they say if they come.

Mary

we have had several local childminders inspected recently .Each was asked if they d completed their sef when they got they phone call to say the big O was coming

There are 2 who did nt do their sef and both got overall good!!!!!!!!!!

I am a chidminder and had my inspection 06-03-09 ihad completed some of the sef the inspector asked questions about the rest, which i answered the best way I could, I got outstanding

Congratulations on your 'outstanding' zillertal!

I am keeping my fingers and everything else firmly crossed in the hope that we don't get any unexpected 'visitors' this term - we really shouldn't - our Ofsted is not due for ages.........

Will tackle the SEF in the summer holiday - honest :o

Sunnyday