Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Air Topic

Hi all,

I've only recently discovered this site and already it's become such a valuable planning tool - Thank you! I've taken over our Reception Class this year and have spent most of the year developing the Long term and Medium term planning as it was seemingly non existent before now (previous teacher got married part way through last year and planning diminished!)

So, I've got two topics this half term: Under the Sea for the first four weeks, followed by three weeks of Air topic work. Under the Sea I've found lots of lovely ideas and have been able to get planning done. Air I'm finding a little more challenging, so any ideas would be very welcome please!!

Thank you in advance!

Jess :o

Could they make hot air balloons using a real balloon which they cover in paper mache and leave to dry and decorate in fancy ways. Then using a net, make a basket and suspend it underneath.

I'm definitely thinking of changing it! It is on the long term planning, and I've been using this year to see what works and what doesn't, so that next year we can improve on what's worked and disregard anything that wasn't so successful! I think this topic might be on the cut-list!

I'd thought about the hot air balloons, just wary that it's the end of term and whether or not we'd have enough time to get them finished? Am I being over cautious?

If you stick with the air theme, how about making meringues - these need lots of air whipped into them - or those hot air bag things you can buy, the children could release them off the playing field at the end of term - haven't been able to risk assess that one!! or playing that old party game flying fish, fish shaped pieces of newspaper on the floor and the children fan their fish with a rolled up newspaper and see who can get their fish the furthest. Making bubbles of different sizes, you can buy lots of wands, our children are always fascinated that regardless of the shape wand, it comes out round, but I think you can buy wands now that may make squares. You could do bubble painting, or blow football, or blow painting lots of fun things to do with air.

Meringues - what a fab idea! Justhave to check that it wouldn't go against our healthy eating policy... It probably will but we can find a loop hole!!

Also, I was in Hammleys recently and they've got some crazy bubblegum-style plastic that you can create huge bubbles with using a bubble wand. Any ideas what thay might be and has anyone used it?? I'd be interedted in finding a more affordable version!!

For creativity in music you could do blowing across the top of bottles, adding different coloured liquid and differing amounts of liquid. How about causing a vaccum - would need one of those gadgets people use to suck all the air out of plastic bags to decrease the amount of storage space clothing takes up - they look a bit like a hairdryer. Or get the children to think about what needs air to make it move or how air can stop things from moving.

Sorry getting carried away - I like nothing more than a new topic to think about. Cait did Yorkshire Puddings in a microwave for a growing project I think - again lots of air!! Suppose Yorkshire Puddings wouldn't be allowed - but know body says the children have to eat them.

Haven't seen this plastic bubble stuff I'm afraid.

Yorkshire puds would be good I think - we have them once a week on the lunch menu so we must be ok to have them in class! My TA is a whizz in the kitchen so I'll let her decide what we do - but I definitely want to do some sort of cooking activity now you've mentioned it!!!

There is quite a lot once people start talking about it isn't there? I love the meringue and Yorkshire pudding ideas. I think this can be a really interesting theme and there is a lot of potential to develop this with the children once you get going.

Weather, wind, clouds, rain etc.

Creatures, wings and feathers, birds and exploring feathers, blowing them, (air is invisible but

you can feel it), insects, bats

Transport, hot-air balloons, planes, rockets, history of air transport

Seed dispersal, explore dandelions.

Flight, making paper aeroplanes, inflating balloons, and making those balloon rockets that

move along a length of sting. Sending corks into the air from bottles with bicarbonate

of soda and vinegar.

Space - no air for space-men on the moon etc. Experiment with a nightlight/candle on a

saucer of water, light and then cover with a jar. Watch the water rise up inside the

jar as the air is burnt up. Link with divers under the sea.

Water pumps.

Wind instruments.

Suddenly I find myself liking the topic and am thinking that it can stay where it is! Thanks for all your ideas!

One of the most successful/popular activities I have ever done is making hot air balloons. We using wool soaked in flour/water paste which the children wrapped round an inflated balloon. It dried overnight and next day we popped the balloon and were left with a lovely 'balloon' which the children then attached a basket to.

Children used different coloured wool and they looked fantastic hanging around the preschool (the balloons that is not the children!!)

It's a bit difficult to describe but I attach the basic instructions and you can see from the pictures what I am prattling on about!! Ignore the bird in the top picture and reference in the instructions to 'cage'! It was originally instructions for a bird in a cage but we just made the 'cage'!!

hot_air_balloon_instructions.doc

Edited by Geraldine

Geraldine - that looks great - have printed instructions and will definitely give this a go - thank you!

Sunnyday

Prepare to get messy!!!!! :o

I had a sneaky trial run at home as I wanted to make sure the 'waiting to dry' time wasn't too long.

I didn't cut lengths of wool just had a ball of wool and 'threaded' it through the paste and wound it round the balloon.

Have fun!

Parachute games are good if you have a parachute.

Also making their own parachutes using a variety of different materials - plastic carrier bags, food bags, tissue paper, newspaper etc. Cut out a square (or let the children decide on the shape), fasten cotton, string or wool to the corners - if you fasten on a play person it gets a little weight. Then go outside and let them go - best if you have a split level playground and can drop them from one level to the next. Use for PSRN - whose parachute stays in the air longest/falls quickest - do any of them get carried along by the wind, whose travels furthest.

I've made paper helicopters before - can't remember exactly how to do it, but it is quite simple, strip of paper folded, ends up with a rectangle shape in the middle and two 'blades' - think they're called autogyro's (might find instructions on the internet somewhere?)

I love the other ideas too - sounds like it could be quite good fun.

Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)