Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diversity Audit

Hi all,

I have been asked to conduct a diversity audit at my setting focussing on the resources we already have, and those we might need to purchase. The problem is that I'm not fully aufait with all the areas we might need to consider during this audit - it seems the more I think about it the more areas I come up with and am worried that I'll miss something. Does anyone know of any good websites or publications which may offer templates of such an audit? I'd be really grateful if anyone can help.

Many thanks,

Danielle

I have a booklet I picked up at some training a while ago (can't remember exactly where though). It first goes through all the different groups who may be discriminated against .

Then it has more of a questionnaire than an audit, that simply asks:

- How do you currently promote equal opportunities?

- How do you feel you could improve your practice?

- What help and support would we need?

- What additional resources do we need?

Could you do this as a whole staff discussion? At least you would be able to show you were all trying your best to have the right attidudes and supporting diversity has a great deal to do with a 'can do' attitude.

Gruffalo2 :o

If this audit is focussing on multicutural resources rather than inclusion in general, you could have look at the ECERS-R which provides guidance on what quality multi-cultural resourcing looks like.

It doesn't give you a list of things you need, but it may help!

Click here for ECERS in the US or here for ECERS in the UK.

Maz

Thanks for that - I hadn't thought of the index for inclusion - it's definitely given me some food for thought!

Got my copy on Amazon.

We were told our resources were not diverse enough-we needed for example more photos of old people and Grandparent dolls etc

Got my copy on Amazon.

Here's a link showing the books for ITERS-R (infant and toddler) and ECERS-R (3+) and also the ECERS-E which is the UK curriculum version of the scales.

It is recommended that you start with ECERS-R first and then move onto the ECERS-E on the basis that a quality environment underpins a quality curriculum.

Happy reading!

Maz

Got my copy on Amazon.

We were told our resources were not diverse enough-we needed for example more photos of old people and Grandparent dolls etc

And why doesn't Practical Preschool and Nursery World know this too! We groan every time we open a poster!

Got my copy on Amazon.

Hmmm.........as a grandparent.......I wonder what 'grandparent dolls' look like - probably just like the stereotypical illustrations of grandparents found in most children's books!!!

A grandparent here - who will never let her hair go grey,or wear it in a bun, or wear crimplene trousers - and that's just for starters!!!

Sunnyday

Hmmm.........as a grandparent.......I wonder what 'grandparent dolls' look like - probably just like the stereotypical illustrations of grandparents found in most children's books!!!

A grandparent here - who will never let her hair go grey,or wear it in a bun, or wear crimplene trousers - and that's just for starters!!!

Sunnyday

I was thinking along the same lines - although I must add I am not a grandmother (not from want of trying- just very unco-operative family!!!)

At our setting we have some 'very' mature staff, a very elderly 90yr+ regular volunter, do we still need grandparent dolls? or maybe in our case we should have a few barbie dolls instead!!!

Well in order to achieve a good ECERS rating for diversity the materials/resources need to portray "races, cultures, ages, abilities and gender in non-stereotyping roles" so that would let out the blue rinse brigade I think! The standard small world resources might show your crimplene-clad granny and a grandpa with pipe and slippers, but you could counter that with books and posters showing grannies sky diving or whatever! :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)