Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Can We Achieve Continuity?

Well after whinging on the welcome thread about this, I thought I would start a new topic where we could post ideas for achieving better continuity when committee members change.

I am planning to create a kind of 'timeline', with details of what should be happening at each point in a yearly calendar. The stuff that should in theory happen every year, e.g. appraisals, AGM, etc.

We're also meant to do a kind of 'handover' but as there has often been a gap before getting new committee members, this didn't happen when I took up the post. I certainly think I need to look ahead and take responsibility for 'priming' a new chair person before I leave.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Is this any help, it's what we put together last year

Gosh! That's very comprehensive - it would probably scare the life out of me to see the jobs I do put in a timeline like that! At least with a committee you have (hopefully) lots of people to share the burden!

Thanks for sharing, Possum!

Maz

Thanks, that is helpful. I see you spread out looking at your policies over the year - could I ask why you take this approach? I'm planning to do a mass 'policy update' at our next meeting, which is basically just going to be us signing the old ones with a new date I suspect (it hasn't been done since 2005 - eek!) Somehow I can't imagine all of us are going to read them in detail :o

Is this any help, it's what we put together last year

How efficient! and as Maz said that really made me think about all the jobs/tasks I complete pretty 'much on my own' as an owner/manager.

Sorry don't think I've welcomed you to the forum yet!

Looking forward to 'getting to know you'!

Hi SuzieC8, we spread our policies out over a longer time too. We find it much easier than tackling all the policies at one time. The staff read and discuss policy at staff meeting as do committee and policy is amended if necessary and signed off for another year. We find that we have a much better understanding of policies and procedures this way because all staff and committee members are more aware of the content. mrsW.x

oh forgot to say welcome and that I think your idea for helping continuity in committees is a great idea, mrsW.x

Thank you everyone. Actually in practice we reviewed and adopted the policies alphabetically like this for many years, but we adopted the PSLA's ones en bloc this year so next year I expect they'll be to review together again.

We still like a lot of our old policies which aren't covered by the PSLA, so we'll review those as we go along as usual and possibly integrate them into the PSLA ones, or at least make them the same format so they 'fit'.

As those of you who run preschools know, there's a lot more work than this - plus we have to fit in the day to day accounting and learning story updates too.

We found that splitting it up like this made it easier for the rest of the team to appreciate the Manager's role and what it entailed 'behind the scenes'.

It does make it easier, and for those of us, as Sunnyday says, who do things mostly on our own, it breaks the tasks down into manageable chunks.

If only I could do that with the summer holiday tasks for the new school year!

Welcome to the forum, be careful, it's addictive!

Thanks, that is helpful. I see you spread out looking at your policies over the year - could I ask why you take this approach? I'm planning to do a mass 'policy update' at our next meeting, which is basically just going to be us signing the old ones with a new date I suspect (it hasn't been done since 2005 - eek!) Somehow I can't imagine all of us are going to read them in detail :o

If they havent been done since 2005 you might find they need some aspects tweeking due to the EYFS, even if its just to include EYFS rather than foundation stage curriculum. Has anything else changed in that time?

We've just changed the wording on our parent info sheet to include a bit about it being ok if child is in nappies. It always has been but one family this year kept their child at home 7 months longer than necessary because they thought he'd need to be in pants. So easy for us to assume everyone knows.

Yes, we still get asked occasionally. In fact I had a child start recently at 3, and parent commented that he would have come sooner but he wasn't out of nappies! Not much we can do after the event though - and short of making a banner for the wall outside it's not easy to get the word around.

Do School nurseries have to comply with it too? I only ask because our local school says that they can't take children in nappies due to the staffing ratios.

Yes, we still get asked occasionally. In fact I had a child start recently at 3, and parent commented that he would have come sooner but he wasn't out of nappies! Not much we can do after the event though - and short of making a banner for the wall outside it's not easy to get the word around.

Do School nurseries have to comply with it too? I only ask because our local school says that they can't take children in nappies due to the staffing ratios.

Now I'm trying to think of suitable wording for the banner!!!

Surely school nurseries have to comply - hope someone comes along soon to let us know!

Just a quick edit to say - sorry SuzieCB - will stop filling your thread with my un-related ramblings!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Oh yes, they do! The advice from our LA was that due to disability discrimination legislation it has been unlawful to say that children must be out of nappies before they come to pre-school. This is not because they are disabled, but because to do this would be to discriminate against the child because of their individual needs. I haven't heard of anyone testing this law in court - but until someone brings a case of discrimination against a setting or a school and case law is established we won't know how watertight this interpretation of the legislation is.

I always ask prospective parents about whether their child wears nappies or pull ups, and during the show round I indicate how we cater for children's diverse toileting needs. I make a point of telling them about the legislation and that no setting can tell them their child should be in pants before starting pre-school - so even if they don't end up registering with me they are primed to challenge their provider if necessary!

Possum if you don't mind I am going to use your checklist to get myself more organised this year! :o

Maz

Hi

I tried to get our last committee to encourage prospective committee members to attend meetings prior to AGM but not many actually did. So, think it came as a huge shock to the new ones at the AGM when they actually got signed up for roles :o .

Before the AGM I gave out the guidance from PSLA about committee roles and we have a similar pack put together in the setting. Just have to be aware that this may actually put people off. Must admit it dosent help when old committee members say they would never ever do it again!

We have still got the same chair this year but she was right in saying that it took her 9 months to get her head around it all before she really started doing the job. She got very little support from old chair when she took over. In fact old chair is back on the committee as general help. Leads to some confrontations I can tell you.

Thing is there are about 15 committee members ( i know supposed to be 12 max) but we have a fund raising "team". Some of those that have left spend time with the new ones taking over their roles to help them and they can always be called upon too if necessary (all in local village). Other than that they sometimes ask staff.

Like the idea of a timeline though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)