Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Day In Special School Tommorrow!

Hi all!!

Got accepted as relief staff for my local special school and they rang me today and asked me to cover as a classroom assistant tommorrow!!

Obviously I am very excited and also a little bit nervous. As this is my first paid 'job' in my new career I cannot wait to get there, but am considering having a chat with the teacher beforehand and explaining that although I know about the theories and have completed assignments on my course to confirm this, the only practicial experience I have of special needs is with my aunt who has down syndrome.

I am going in with the senior class who, I have been told, are quite independent!!

Any last minute advice from anyone??

Should I mention to the teacher that this is my first job and that I will follow his lead?

I did meet some of the students last Friday and stood and had a chat with one of the boys in this class for about 10 minutes! The atmosphere in this school is amazing and thats before you even get to meet the students!!

Will report back tomorrow and let you know how it went!

Wish me luck

Siobhain

Hope your having a great day. :o

When I closed my preschool my daughter (who worked with me) got a job at a special school, she loves it and she also particularly enjoys the 'lovely atmosphere' that her school has.

Peggy

Good for you mummyspud. I bet you are loving it. My experience of special youngsters is that it is hard, rewarding and happy work because of the wonderful atmosphere.

I totally agree! I love working in a special school, it is the best place I've ever worked!

Hi all!

Not long back from the school. I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

The children were wonderful and I was working alongside the headmaster. I did mention that this was my first time doing this kind of work and he was very helpful and advised me as to what I should be doing. I was with the senior class (aged 17-19) and they are preparing them for leaving school and going on to college, so a lot of the things we discussed today centered around this.

As I had already been told, the children are very independent and it was more guidance and support they required with some supervision and help when necessary.

I did ask the headmaster how I had got on after the children left for home. He said that I had got on as well as anyone else he had seen on their first day. (I took that as a good thing as I have never been in this position before, whereas other people may have previous experience in this line of work) He also said that I related to the children well and was pleased that I had enjoyed it.

Have also filled in application form for a temporary position coming up in September. Here's hoping!!

Have also filled in application form for a temporary position coming up in September. Here's hoping!!

Fantastic, spud! Glad you had a good day - I really hope this comes off for you. Need a reference? :o

Maz