Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hi Can You Give Me Your Point Of View Please

:o HI ALL, WOULD YOU MIND GIVING ME YOUR POINT OF VIEW PLEASE. I HAVE A MEMBER OF STAFF GIVEN TIME OFF TO GO TO COLLEGE. IF THEY DON'T GO TO COLLEGE WOULD YOU EXPECT THEM IN TO WORK, OR WOULD YOU FIND IT ACCEPTABLE TO DO HOME STUDY IN PAYED TIME????

Depends how often it happened and how many hours she is supposed to work as part of her qualification. Has she got the sort of home life where home study is best during the day when its quiet? Or do you think shes using it as an excuse not to go into work? Have you spoken to her or the college?

If it's only occasional then I would say have a home study day (being at uni Myself I know I need as many of these as I can get!!) If you mean over the summer holidays - so 6-9 weeks I would ask her to work.

Not sure what qualification she is studying for.

Right talking from the view point of doing a Foundation Degree.

I would on the reading weeks and over christmas/end of semister 1. I would stay at home and study. I know alot of people on my course did just that.

Over the summer holidays I would go back to work on the college day. Again alot of people did just that too.

Beth1

would depend on it she was on rota for the day or not...

if not would not expect her in but then she would probably not be paid either...

if on rota she should be in....

Inge

I had agreed study leave with my employer as I had to leave at 2.30 to get to class on time, however if there was no class to go to I stayed at work. I felt it wasn't fair otherwise. It would have been great to have extra study time but I didn't feel it was appropriate.

Hi all thanks for the response, its a level 2 and no study leave was agreed. I only found out because another member of staff let it slip and i wondered if i was being to harsh . Im starting my foundation degree in september and have to do this in my own time aquiring own funding for days off (as a manager its part of the job) but I have to pay for cover when they are out of the building.

Any tips on broatching the subject?????

KAT

Any tips on broatching the subject?????

I think I would just be honest with her - ask to see her in private, explain that you understand she wasn't at college and that in future you would appriate she discussed study leave with you first. She may not have been aware that she should agree study leave first and just assumed that you have cover so she wouldn't be needed. HTH

Since I have already booked other staff to cover, if this happens I let staff have the study time but they have to do it in the Centre (so I can be sure they are really working) - but we are a Children's Centre and have space, computer etc.

Gruffalo2

:o

If I paid a staff member to go on a training course on her day off, and the course was cancelled, or she didn't go 'cos her car was broken or something, then I'd expect her to come into work, or owe me for a day's work another time. I don't see that this is any different. I'm going with Sunnyday on this one!