Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letting Off Steam!

Cait

Was in a classroom on Friday and saw this in a display - wish I'd had my camera!

'How many orange's are their?'

I think I did one of those pantomime jaw drops!! No wonder our children are no good at spelling and grammar!

I had a similar one with an NQT recently, we were playing a game on the interactive white board matching babies to their mothers. One of the children chose a foal and the Teacher said you chose a pony. when the foal was matched to the mother the board said congratulations I am a foal and my mother is a horse. The teacher then said to the children a baby horse is a pony but on here it calls it a foal.

also she tells the children initial letters such a mu instead of mmmm etc. sorry to moan on but as you say these things irritate me because the children have no chance.

killowengirl

It used to be just greengrocers, didn't it, with their 'potatoe' and 'tomatoe' but honestly, if teachers don't know the diffeence between their, there and they're and where, were and we're, what hope is there for the children!

which witch is which? hehehe

Edited by Cait

I had a similar one with an NQT recently, we were playing a game on the interactive white board matching babies to their mothers. One of the children chose a foal and the Teacher said you chose a pony. when the foal was matched to the mother the board said congratulations I am a foal and my mother is a horse. The teacher then said to the children a baby horse is a pony but on here it calls it a foal.

also she tells the children initial letters such a mu instead of mmmm etc. sorry to moan on but as you say these things irritate me because the children have no chance.

killowengirl

I heard a teacher telling a child that a fir cone they'd brought in to show was an acorn - and she was adamant, even when I challenged her!!

me to, my setting was in a rural area and I asked if any parents had any acorns for an activity. Afew said yes we have load I will bring some bags full. when they did bring them they were pine cones and as yourself when I said what lovely pine cones, the parents were adament they were acorns

Doesn't exactly set a good example does it!

But it does give children a powerful message that adults aren't always right! :o

I was sitting with some fellow EYPs and other degree qualified bods during a coffee break at a training event last week. On the table was a sign which read "buy two coffee's get one free!". I pointed the sign out to them with a groan and one of them said "oh well they didn't tell us that at the till, did they?".

What does it say about me that I'm offended by the misused apostrophe whereas some people are miffed at the lost opportunity to save a bit of cash by ordering three people's coffees together rather than individually?

The problem with typos (or should that be typo's? xD ) is that the brain sees what it expects to see, so it is much more difficult to spot your own blunders than those of others. And the problem with being a pedant in respect of these matters is that one's friends and colleagues are delighted when they catch you out in a rare lapse of grammatical correctness! :(

Maz

Likely story - but at least now we can see when you've edited your posts Cait! :o

This is where I need a whistling and innocent looking emoticon - nothing to do with me, guv! xD

Can we all share our pet peeves, or does it have to be spelling related? Me and Maz have lots of things that annoy us! :(

I think this is just the place for you - go on pressure cookers at the ready!

oh - and if I dare - "Maz and I" :o

So your first will be 'people who correct you all the time?'

Edited by Cait

I totally agree about the spelling issue - I have a trainee working with me at the moment (she is at collage and I think she is about 17) she was writing some lovely observations of the children at the sand tray which I thanked her for and asked her to file them. When I went on to read them carefully and transfer them into the correct diaries I had to rewrite them as the spelling was so terrible. My spelling may not be the best in the world but if I am unsure I take a moment to check it with someone else in my class - as you say what hope have the children got if we can't get it correct! - Its a real thing of mine!!

I totally agree about the spelling issue - I have a trainee working with me at the moment (she is at collage and I think she is about 17) she was writing some lovely observations of the children at the sand tray which I thanked her for and asked her to file them. When I went on to read them carefully and transfer them into the correct diaries I had to rewrite them as the spelling was so terrible. My spelling may not be the best in the world but if I am unsure I take a moment to check it with someone else in my class - as you say what hope have the children got if we can't get it correct! - Its a real thing of mine!!

had that one as well really irritates me also the speech some of them use but on the other hand I have had some brill students.

I think it's unfair to single out teachers though. They are, after all, drawn from the same pool as the rest of us, and shouldn't be weeded out necessarily for their lack of spelling ability.

The reasons for being a teacher are many and varied - and I know several inspired (and inspiring) teachers who are pretty ropey at spelling. I'd feel very depressed if I thought they couldn't teach my children because their maths or english skills weren't up to scratch. In the same way I'd be enthusiastically taking part in demonstrations if some of the inspirational nursery practitioners here, who are not necessarily the most accomplished grammaticians in the world, were disbarred! :o

I think it's unfair to single out teachers though. They are, after all, drawn from the same pool as the rest of us, and shouldn't be weeded out necessarily for their lack of spelling ability.

The reasons for being a teacher are many and varied - and I know several inspired (and inspiring) teachers who are pretty ropey at spelling. I'd feel very depressed if I thought they couldn't teach my children because their maths or english skills weren't up to scratch. In the same way I'd be enthusiastically taking part in demonstrations if some of the inspirational nursery practitioners here, who are not necessarily the most accomplished grammaticians in the world, were disbarred! :o

Well said, Steve!

I agree to a certain extent but what about knowledge base, children take what their teacher say as gospel and if they are told that pine cones are acorns or that a foal is called a pony is that acceptable? Sorry dont mean to sound critical but if we give our children wrong information they will never learn properly.

The reasons for being a teacher are many and varied - and I know several inspired (and inspiring) teachers who are pretty ropey at spelling. I'd feel very depressed if I thought they couldn't teach my children because their maths or english skills weren't up to scratch. In the same way I'd be enthusiastically taking part in demonstrations if some of the inspirational nursery practitioners here, who are not necessarily the most accomplished grammaticians in the world, were disbarred! :(

I'm glad you've said that! I said in a different thread that my daughter has terrible spelling and grammar and yet is just finishing an English degree. She has decided that she wants to be a secondary school English teacher and last week heard that she had been accepted on a PGDE course at Glasgow uni which we are delighted with. :o She has seen how much her dyslexic brother has struggled with English as a subject and has been appalled at some of the teaching he has had and this has been her inspiration for her career choice. I think that although her spelling and grammar are suspect she will bring so much to the subject and hopefully help a great many children along the way. :(

Sorry, proud mum mode took over! xD

No need to apologise for being a proud mum, Carol. Sounds like you've got a lot to be proud of! xD

I agree to a certain extent but what about knowledge base, children take what their teacher say as gospel and if they are told that pine cones are acorns or that a foal is called a pony is that acceptable? Sorry dont mean to sound critical but if we give our children wrong information they will never learn properly.

Hmm. OK killowengirl, well I for one am not allowed to be a teacher then. I may know that pine cones aren't acorns, but there are many things I don't know at the same level. The only way I'd ever be able to be a teacher is if I could be wired directly into Wikipedia... :o

I think teachers should know correct spelling and grammar - but maybe that's my age. If they don't then they should be 'up front' about it with other staff and with children. As someone said, it helps children to know that their teacher is only human, and as long as they are prepared to say -'I don't know, let's look it up' then that's got to be acceptable, but what I object to is teachers who don't acknowledge they are wrong and even - as in one case I'm aware of, make children write a word out 10 times with the wrong spelling!

The only way I'd ever be able to be a teacher is if I could be wired directly into Wikipedia... xD

Is this the technological project you're working on now Steve? How would the connection be made - USB into the ear? Or contact lenses that deliver information just at the right time so that you can correctly identify whatever the little darling is holding up at show and tell time?

I'd settle for an implant that delivers an small(ish) electric shock everytime the person says "PIN number", tries to go through the checkout of a supermarket without ending their telephone conversation or makes a sweeping generalisation that can't possibly be substantiated. Oh, and also when they make some outlandish statement that starts with "research says..." or "under the new EYFS we have to..." without being able to back up what they say with hard facts!

Beau - you've started something now! :o

Maz

I was looking around an 'exemplar' school to help with my professional development and saw in big bold letters 'Color Mixing'. No it was not in America, it was in Birmingham; just for the record; I am an NQT and the display belonged to the outstanding teacher with 20 years experience!

Beau - you've started something now!

Yes...some of my pet hates

Urban Myths

Intolerance

Predjudice

not knowing how to do spell check when using the forum

not knowing if peoples (belonging to more than one person) should be written as peoples' or people's (as I think the ' is used to replace a missing letter such as it's, replacing the 'i' in is, but where does the ' go when writing in plural???)

Other pet hate is the (poor) fox which ran out in front of my car at 4am, (what I was doing out at this time is another story).

I couldn't help but run the fox over, horrible experience, then to find this morning that the 'accident' has caused me to lose my front bumper and both foglights off the front of my Merc. :o

Why did it run in front of my car??? With only 2 other cars on the road seen during my 20 mile journey????

Peggy

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle
Beau - you've started something now!

not knowing if peoples (belonging to more than one person) should be written as peoples' or people's (as I think the ' is used to replace a missing letter such as it's, replacing the 'i' in is, but where does the ' go when writing in plural???)

But peoples is not the plural of people, because surely people is a group or collective noun? so it must be people's ?

and yes spelling and wrongly used apostrophes and when you see 'of' used instead of 'have' or the shortened form 've - 'i should of thought of that' - when what is really meant is 'I should've thought of that'

Ok I'll stop now!! :o

Of course typos and deliberate mispellings don't count xD nite Maz :(

as a bad speller myself I would be extra careful to proof read anything that was going on display commas and apostrophes confuse me and I find the simple rule if in doubt leave it out tends to be the best people dont seem to get as upset about a missing apostrophe as one put in the wrong place?

as for there their and they're or where were or we're I always tell my children to look for "here" in the word for where and there and we dont have a problem as to which word to use

my pet hate is text speak when not texting okay the odd abbreviation fine but not a whole passage its hard work to read!

what about the use of "was"? I've lost count of how many times I've heard "we was" or "what was we doing?" If OP had been in past tense, it could have said "how much orange's was their?" a quadruple whammy!