Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm Leaving

Well after 11 years in childcare - I have made the decision to leave. :( Basically I am fed up of all the paperwork, and the EYFS has finally finished me off. We do all this hard work on observations, learning journeys etc etc etc etc and no one seems to appreciate how much time and effort is put into it.

Don't get me wrong, I think that change is a good thing and I have seen a lot over the last 11 years, but the EYFS has finally done it for me. :(

I think that if I worked out the actual 'real' hours that I work I would also be under the minimum wage :o As a partner I also do all of the admin, filling places, funding forms etc etc etc.

It's not a decision I have made lightly and I will leave in July at the end of term.

Up until about a month ago we were going to have to close. Myself and a friend own and run the group together, but we have come to an agreement over ownership and a new partner has been found. Ths is good as it also secures jobs for four other members of staff. :(

I don't know what I shall do with my life from July onwards, but hopefully will be able to find a part time job somewhere however that's a laugh in this economic climate!!!!.

Hopefully now that the staff have been informed and parents will find out this week - maybe my headaches will stop and a good nights sleep may be coming my way!! xD

Wish me luck for the future!

BrendaS it is so sad to read your post - the world of early years needs people like you who are passionate about the job and take their role seriously. I'm glad to see that your group is secure now that you have found another owner - it is difficult to walk away under normal circumstances, let alone when you are one of the owners!

I hope you enjoy the time until July, I'm sure now that the burden is lifting you'll remember what it was about the job you loved before your management responsibilities took hold.

Have you given much thought about what you'll do next? It would be a shame if your knowledge and expertise was lost altogether.

Take care and keep us posted about your new job, wherever it might be!

Maz

Guest budgie1

What a shame xD

It is such a worthwhile job it is just terrible that it is so under valued and underpaid. I read recently that we pay our cleaners and gardeners more money per hour than we pay someone to look after and educate our most precious children !!!!! :o

How can this be?????????

Anyway, well done for making your decision, after all your health is more important and you do need to find a better work /life balance

I hope you can now enjoy the term and look forward to a new challenge!

Good luck!

Guest MaryEMac

Sorry to hear your news Brenda, that must have been a hard decision to make. Best of luck for whatever you do after July. Enjoy the rest of the term.

Mary

Brenda, what a shame but I'm sure that now you've made the decision you'll feel so much better. Enjoy the time you have left with your group and take away all the happy memories from your years there. :o

All the best Brenda - I too can appreciate why you have made this decision as I am in the same situation. If it wasn't for the children, decisions such as yours would be so much easier to make. I hope you enjoy your 'free' time until (as you surely will) find something else to fill the time.

Good Luck!!

aaaaw Brenda such a lot of empathy coming from all of us....as everyone has said we need you but having said that I think we are all feeling it .....I really hope you can enjoy the rest of your time and what a difficult decision to make, can't of been easy.

All the very best for the coming months of mixed emotions....don't forget we are all here for you. :oxD:(

Empathy here too Brenda. Having just found myself unemployed I can assure you that finding something to do wont be a problem, I've never been so busy!

You'll find after a just a few weeks that you'll be glad you made the decision even if you fel a bit sad about it now. Good luck :o

I left my post 6 months ago now and have never felt better..

its fun looking forward to the next step and what will be a new chapter in your life...

it is a hard decision but for me worked out very well.. hope it does for you too..

now you enjoy the last few months with the children ,

I am lucky and still able to go back and visit and it is a joy , children love it too..

Inge

oww brenda - i do feel for you but dont blame you in the least - ive spent years getting myself to EYP status - but am now im at a standstill - thinking whats the point of it all....

good luck for the future - im sure it will work out xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I resigned from full time teaching in 2003 I gave the letter in to the head and went back to my classroom. One of the children commented on that fact it was the happiest he'd seen me in a long time (he had no idea I'd resigned). I knew then and there it was the right decision. Paper work, politics and a c**p head had destroyed me. I am now in my first full time post since then that I truly love.

I wish you all the luck in the world. You'll have made an amazing difference to all the children who have been in your care. Hopefully Karma will give you something back. xxxxx

Well after 11 years in childcare - I have made the decision to leave. :(

Oh Brenda I am really not sure what to say but you have my absolute admiration for having the guts to make a decision that can't have been easy.

I have been edging nearer and nearer to making the same decision but my message would read 'after 36 years in childcare'. I haven't got the strength of character to actually do it ..yet .

I wish you every possible happiness for the future and do keep in touch :oxD I hope you will take comfort from knowing that you have made a valuable difference to the lives of many little people (and their parents!)

Sorry to hear of your decision Brenda. A colleague at work is considering resigning too but coming back as a 'bank' worker to escape the endless paperwork and to spend some time with the children. Sounds good to me!

I wish you the best of luck in finding something that makes you happy and healthy! :o

good for you. i have just done the same thing after 24 years i am fed up with paper work and yes i agree with eyfs etc but not when all the work is undervalued by most of your4 collegues best of luckx

Thanks everyone for your support.

I know I have done the right thing, in fact I decided upon this in September last year and let my colleague know. The positive from it is that the staff still have a job and a new partner has been found for my friend - so everyone happy.

If I could just work in the setting without the endless chore of paperwork then I would be very happy to stay - but that isn't going to happen so it's time I moved on to other things.

I shall keep you posted with what comes next :o

good luck brendas in whatever you decide to do - make sure you enjoy your "you time" - you deserve it - it is a job which is so undervalued by everyone outside of it.

i almost blow my top when you say what you do and people say

"oh you just play with children" -I WISH.

perhaps you could become a regualar visitor/ bank staff to your old group or others in the area - that means you enjoy the play side of the job but dont have the paper work side.

but whatever you decide ,even if it is a change of direction please enjoy it and keep in touch x