Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Play Dough

Hi! I want to make playdough with the children and always follow the same recipie (flour/salt/cream of tartar/water/food colour) but sometimes have sucess but have many times failed and ended up with a sticky mess that wont comes off fingers :o !! Its nothing to do with how long I'm cooking it for because I can't seem to keep it in the pan for any longer once its come away from the sides. Someone once told me that green food colouring =disaster. Surely this can't be true? As I want the children to see the whole process I'm thinking of doing it in the microwave (its at their level but hob isn't) has any one ever done it like this??

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in avance (I hope!)

The recipe we use does not need cooking. the hot water is simply added to the other ingredients and mixed together. In this way the children can watch the whole process and participate fully. I will find the recipe and post it here. It always works successfully for us. Good luck

I use this recipe all the time to make playdough in the microwave.

2 mugs plain flour

2 mugs salt

4 tsp bicarb soda

3 tsp oil (I have used veg oil or sunflower oil)

half a bottle of food colouring

2 mugs water

mix all together in large bowl. Put in micro on high for 2 mins - stir. Then in micro for another 2 mins - stir and then a final 2 mins in micro - stir. When you tip it out if it is a bit tacky then put back in micro for a few seconds at a time making sure it isn't sticky.

I have also added coca powder (11/2 cups plain flour and half cup cocoa - lovely smell. Other essences can be added before cooking.

Sue J

I always use cream of tartar, does bicarb work? its alot cheaper? and just a few drops of colour!

I also have used the microwave to involve the children. I mix all the ingrediants with them before heating and then stir after every minute--takes about 5 mins depending on microwave output!

The Little Book of Dough has some great recipes too ... (peanut butter dough, custard powder dough, carrot dough and shampoo dough !! ) I have more trouble with blue colouring ending up a bit sticky... will try in the microwave.

:D

I like bright colours that's why I use half a little bottle of colouring when I want a pale/pastel colour I use less.

I hope Zim sees the change of ing. in the recipe. Don't know what will happen if she uses bicarb!! It might make an erupting volcano - now the children might be interested in that!! :D (K & U)

Sue J

having a break from Pudsey, this is the non cooking method we use.

2 cups of flour

1 cup of salt

4 tsps cream of tartar

2 tsps of oil

2 cups of hot water

Just mix together and knead until it becomes pliable. We add colourings or smells etc to the basic dough

But here's Pudsey

There was an article in EYE a while ago about dough!

They suggested using paint as colouring although I think it was ready mixed.

I also use tablespoons of oil not teaspoons!

Salt dough also lasts a long time if stored in an airtight container and the cooked dough can be cooked to harden too!

Thanks everyone. Gosh it is a good job I read your ammendment to the Cream of Tartar/Soda thing Sue. I usually use CO Tartar but was quite happily going with the CO soda thing (I was quite excited about it too-sad as I am-because its cheaper I think!!) I wonder what would happen....? not sure if I'm willing to volunteer trying!! My problem now is which one to go with....Maybe try a different one each week I've never tried uncooked dough before so that'll be interesting. Do you think my unsucess could have been because I sometimes use SR flour instead of plain ? Would this make a difference? How strange that reen/blue colouring= a sloppy mess, o I'm not the only one who's experiencced that! Love to know the science behind that one! :o

Don't use bicarbonate of soda-it doesn't work!!! I used it once because I didn't have any cream of tartar-the results were very bad!!! And I think that you use SR flour instead of plain could be the reason it doesn't work sometimes Zim-plain flour is needed.

Linda

SR flour used in the non cook method given by someone above makes a stretchy dough , can be pulled and stretched very well,

we use ink to give colour for really bright colours, or watercolour paints from tubes. we often find this very cheap in packs in poundshops.

i have found that yellow paint always left things sticky!! no problem with food colour at any time, even when mixing them to give some wonderful oranges and purples.Is this because when using food colour we always count it as part of the liquid /water we are adding?

also using the cheapest flour can cause it to be sticky but that is always a different experience for the children, even if we end up with half of it in the hand washing water.

when the children make it measurements are not always as accurate and it never lasts as long... but we do change ours weekly, it gets lots of use.

Just be careful with the adding of scents and colours-- chocolate smells wonderful but is very tempting to eat --all that salt not good.. we had one child who always atre it and used clay for a long time instead. (we use clay at least once a week now )

we now always ensure the smell and colour are in no way related to make it less tempting.

Inge

I use powder paint in mine rather than food colouring. It always gives a really rich colour. :)

I presume you mix the powder paint up first do you? Or do you let it mix up by itself with the water added to the ingredients?

Sounds a better idea to me than food colouring. :)

We make our playdough with the children most weeks. It is about one third salt to flour and as much water as you need. Sometimes the children add more and more water but that is Ok as they get a feel as to how much is too much as time goes on . Also some children do not want playdough they just want a tactile material to play with. At Christmas we add mixed spices to the dough as well as other seasonal things. :D:D:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)