Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Warning Re. Hire Charges In Community Buildings

sunnyday

Our rent goes up in January by around £5.00 per session. The letter telling me of the rise said 'as per our phone conversation...' I have no recollection of the conversation!! I know we spoke about this terms rent, how much and when but I honestly dont remember the rest.

Luckily we are fairly well off so can absorb it or even put fee's up in the new year.

Its so maddening having a change of comittee during the summer. The old ones leave in July, new ones come on in Oct at the AGM and inbetween we are in a kind of limbo with just me this year sorting out all this stuff.

I need a holiday :o

hi Sunnyday, sorry to hear your circumstances, I have every sympathy. I have been paying £6.per hour for our church hall for 5 years - this year had a letter saying that they are increasing it to £8. per hour and then next Sept to £10 per hour we rent the hall for 19 hours per week. Not sure how we will get along with this as yet. We charge parents of non funded children the same hourly rate as the NEG, most of the children are receiving the NEG so i don't see much scope to increase fees! As we are not a committee run charity group, don't think we can do a fundraiser - will just have to keep an eye on the pennies!!

The old ones leave in July, new ones come on in Oct at the AGM and inbetween we are in a kind of limbo with just me this year sorting out all this stuff.

I need a holiday :o

Just out of interest, we also have our AGM in the new school year (Sept) but the old commttee don't step down until the AGM so even if their children leave Pre-school they understand that they are still responsible for any decisions that come up during the summer....

Our rent has just gone up by £30 per week so we are now paying £250 per week. We do have our sole use of inside and 2 outside areas but we dont seem to get any maintenance so not sure how they can warrant charging this. It is a shame that there seems to be no guidlines about rent charges, as many others we are a charity and to have to pay that amount is dreadful. any way moan over

Salm

Just out of interest, we also have our AGM in the new school year (Sept) but the old commttee don't step down until the AGM so even if their children leave Pre-school they understand that they are still responsible for any decisions that come up during the summer....

This year is worse because of personal circumstances with the chair and the treasurer, who was her husband. Both had to come off during the holidays for legal reasons so I find myself doing both roles for now. But a letter is about to go out to all parents warning them I will have to close the group if more committee members dont come along.

Guest babyjane31

Just reading this thread has made me realise how lucky I am, have just received first rent bill from the children's centre from whom we rent our room, we have sole use of a large room, office, children's toilets and office and landscaped outdoor area. as well as shared use of a fully equiped kitchen with dishwasher, washing maching and tumble dryer, lobby and staff toilets/staff room. The rent is £3.40 an hour all in inlculding all utilities, maintainance and cleaning. Thought it was high but having read this I think I should think myself lucky and try and build up a large contigency for when they realise they are losing money and hike up the rent!

Please can I come and rent a room there? Don't know where all this money going out is going to end up! If the single funding formula cuts the amount we can have from the LA we will have to give up. We will be paying £10 per hour from next Sept. Kitchen has a refridgerator, cupboards and a sink. We don't have to pay for heat and light. We do our own cleaning as hall cleaner only comes twice per week, and I can use the photocopier, but supply own paper.