Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Garden Centre Role Play

I've just got a temporary post for this term, and we're looking at growing, new life etc etc... and decided to make a Garden Centre role play... however, apparently the RP area has never been anything other than a house. And here was me hoping to enter the store room and see box on top of clear box all labelled with different RP kits... hospital, vets, kitchen, GARDEN CENTRE!

Alas no. SO basically, as I'm starting from scratch, I just thought I'd lean on your collective wisdom first.

Thanks

Porl

How about lots of plant puts and a tray of compost for starters. Could children make some pretty flowers to plant? Tissue paper and lolly sticks. Lots of gardening gloves (cheap on ebay) planting trays etc, plant labels and pencils. Have a look round the garden department in pound shops

We enjoy support from a Local Garden Centre - always worth asking - to date they have provided a propogator free of charge plus pumpkin plants that the children took home and planted out - these were then returned and judged by G.C. owners, pea seeds, pots and compost - children planted and we watched and recorded growth - all great fun!

We also have 'links' with local Farmer's Market - they are providing beans, pots and compost - children will plant and again watch and record growth - these will then be entered in a 'tallest bean' competition!

Hope this helpful

Sunnyday

what about having lots of types of seeds/bulbs - they could be counted out or weighed out?

could you grow runner beans or sunflowers over the term so the children could compare them?

have in the past used small black plastic garden trays (used for seeds) half filled them with damp sand and then children used cotton buds and tissue paper to make flowers , small mirrors as ponds, then other natural itmes such as twigs and stones to make a mini garden -this could be an activity of its own.

use clipboards and notepads to take orders for plants etc - hoave catalogues for children to look at to choose their plants - usually have lots of these in local papers etc.,

I'd ask parents for help. We always let parents know what we are planning to do and ask if they visit a garden centre etc. please will they pick up some leaflets for us to put in our garden centre. This usually brings in the leaflets and various other things, such as plant pots, books, seeds etc.

There's a seed packet template - think it's on ICT games - which we used this year. Once it had been demonstrated the children found it quite easy to use without supervision on the laptops. If you can't find it I'll look for the proper web link.

Sorry to say it lol,

but, have a look on sparklebox. They have lots of printable garden centre things.

www.sparklebox.co.uk

Kat

all great ideas thanks.

I've asked to ask my Head to turn the heating back on again today. It had been turned off for 'summer' but our room is always so cold regardless and none of our plants would ever grow! haha

We have, at children's request, filled the sand tray with compost (also usefull if you need to put lid on to stop some children emptying it all out when your back is turned!).

Children then buy what they need (seeds, pot, trowel etc.) from garden centre and go to the plant your own sand tray. Also have great fun using sieves to find the seeds in the soil when we tip them all out.

Guest heleng

We also have a till and money for them to pay for their goods and allows them to write numbers/ receipts/ price labels etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)