Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs

Guest poppysue

Guest poppysue

hi again,

i have been reading through some post's and im a bit worried now.

how im i going to cope with the new eyfs if other people out there can't. i read off a manager asking how to do the new eyfs as she has found it hard bringing it in to her setting.

im now thinking i wont be able to do it!

i have read through it and still find it hard to take in. as i was a nursery nurse and learnred the old way im not sure im going to do to well doing this as well as starting as a new childminder!! sorry i must sound very sad!! i no im more than capable of looking after this children but its just the work!!

sorry to ramble on!!

many thanks

lisa x

Hi Lisa

don't panic you will get the hang of it if you knew the old foundation stage and birth to 3 then you will get the hang of the EYFS it is more or less the same its just combined the 2 and then added or reworded a little. This forum is a god send and everyone is helpful and you get lots of tips. but you must remember that everyone works differently and what works for one may needed tweeking to suit you.

Salm

Hi Lisa,

Don't worry.

The EYFS can be really flexible. I don't use it to plan ahead. I just note the activities we have done and use the EYFS to show that those activities covered all of the area of learning over the week. Ofsted were perfectly happy with that.

I tried loads of different types of planning before I worked out what was right for me and my setting.

There are loads of different planning examples around so have a surf and see what you think will suit your style of childcare.

Keep asking for advice!

Your local Early Years Service should be able to give you some guidance too.

Alison

Hi - don't panic!

Ofsted are far more concerned about your interaction with the children than with your planning. I, too, write up the activities we've done and link them to the EYFS areas of learning afterwards.

Good Luck!

Nona

If you can it is good to get to a training session of the EYFS. I think local authorities are still doing them. This should put your mind at ease and I am sure it will be less daunting once you so this. What about your local NCMA rep? Are there any other childminders who can support you?

Good luck and bear with it.

dx

Lisa don't panic

Like Denisse said contact NCMA and ask about courses they are doing on the EYFS my area are still doing two one on the EYFS in general and then one concentrating on obersvations, assesment and planning. Do you have a support childminder scheme in your area? Here when a childminder registers they get a more experienced childminder who has gone through some additional training to help the new childminders through their first 12 months of registration to help with things like EYFS, policies, inspections, child minding groups etc After are Observation training we also had the choice to be signed up to a a EYFS mentor who were accredited childminders so been doing the observtions and planning already. This site is a really good place for surport and advice to so I am sure once you calm down a little it won't seem so daunting after all. Childminding has been the best job I have done and although when the EYFS first came out I had to change the way I did a few things I now havea system that seems to work and it doesn't take to long to do all the OAP now!

Hello, yes I agree, once you actually start doing it, EYFS isnt that bad.

I am Accredited so I was doing observations, assessments and planning anyway, but I didnt have any training when I became accredited. I had to learn as I went along.

This site has been really useful.

The trick is not to forget that EYFS is flawed in parts and bring to it your own existing skills and knowledge and recognise the bits that will work and the bits that will not

Just be aware of the bits which are guidance and the bits which are legislation.

God Luck

Have you read the article..'The Early Years Foundation Stage is like an onion' on here?

EYFS Onion

It may help to put your mind at ease a little - I think its great! :o

I'm working in a preschool but in any setting I think the most important thing is to be there for the children, play with them, take account of what they need / like and have fun with them..dont let planning, obs and assesments take over.

Like others have mentioned - try writing it up afterwards. The evaluation / reflection will be an automatic part of it as you will be choosing the most relavant parts to record and it'll probably set in motion the next steps planning too as you consider what went well and what really motivated the children.

have a look at the article "cheerful or cheerless childminding in the face of EYFS challenges" too - it'll reassure you how much of it you are already doing :o

Nona

Welcome to the forum 9aZA :o

Thanks Sienna. Hello everybody. I can't quite work out how to track posts yet -like a hotlist. Any suggestions. I got back to this one by seraching my name/ There must be an easier way.

Could you possibly tell me where I could find the article cheeful or cheerless

I've linked to it here, Kiverpool18. If you look at the left hand of your screen and click on Articles and then on Members' Articles.

Maz

I can't quite work out how to track posts yet -like a hotlist.

One way is to click on the 'options' box at the top of the screen (it will be displayed at the right hand side of the title bar of the first post of the thread being displayed) and select 'track this topic'.

Welcome to the Forum, 9aZA!

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 9aZA
One way is to click on the 'options' box at the top of the screen (it will be displayed at the right hand side of the title bar of the first post of the thread being displayed) and select 'track this topic'.

Welcome to the Forum, 9aZA!

Maz

Thnaks Maz

• 4 months later...

hI

Where can I fnd these examples of EYFS planning? I am a childminder and I am not sure what I should be doing with this EYFS...can you help?

Hi Lisa,

Don't worry.

The EYFS can be really flexible. I don't use it to plan ahead. I just note the activities we have done and use the EYFS to show that those activities covered all of the area of learning over the week. Ofsted were perfectly happy with that.

I tried loads of different types of planning before I worked out what was right for me and my setting.

There are loads of different planning examples around so have a surf and see what you think will suit your style of childcare.

Keep asking for advice!

Your local Early Years Service should be able to give you some guidance too.

Alison

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)