Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minibeasts

Hi everyone - hope you are all having a good Easter weekend!

After half term at the children's request we are going to be exploring mini beasts! Have you any idea where i can buy some decent mini beast models in quite a large quantity for them to play with? I thought that mini beast would lend itself well to sorting and classifying, comparing groups counting legs etc so i want them to be a bit real looking if you see what i mean. Thanks ems :o

I'm sure ELC do some. Have yo tried Insect Lore? We had some caterpillars at the beginning of last term - turned out to be really bad timing as they're just hatching into butterflies today! Oh well, my own children are really enjoying watching them and I'm filming it to show to my class after the holiday!

I bought lots of bugs from Amazon which were great for sorting and matching and hiding in compost and drawing round etc. I'll see if I can find the link

They are called 'big bunch o' bugs' and they are from Insect Lore but I got them on Amazon

Edited by Cait

There was another thread a month or so ago and I uploaded a bingo type game using bugs for someone who was having an interview. I'll see if I can find the thread

Here you are

if you input Minibeasts as a title search you'll get loads of other stuff too

Edited by Cait

i brought some mini beasts in string bag from sainsbury - they were only few pounds and had about twenty in. you need to have sainsbury that sells toys etc though - they have been well worth the money - we also hide them in the sand , in jelly -loved that one .

i brought some mini beasts in string bag from sainsbury - they were only few pounds and had about twenty in. you need to have sainsbury that sells toys etc though - they have been well worth the money - we also hide them in the sand , in jelly -loved that one .

Ooh hidden in jelly - love that one! Thanks will be doing that xx

Try them in ice cubes too, the children will love it and it can link with how water changes. Our children loved doing this recently.

samfrostie :o

Hi have you got a mini beast spotting form for the children??? We go off around a large play field with this form on a clip board, in key groups, magnifying glasses and pencils one of the children might bring their camera and we go bug spotting takes ages!!!!! Kids love it!

Have attached the form for you

Kat

mini_beast_spotting_form.pdf

Hi have you got a mini beast spotting form for the children??? We go off around a large play field with this form on a clip board, in key groups, magnifying glasses and pencils one of the children might bring their camera and we go bug spotting takes ages!!!!! Kids love it!

Kat

Ooh - thank you very much! Was going to be one of my jobs today to make or find a form like that! Printer is printing out a copy as i type!

Ems

Kat

Thanks for that Kat - printed off for my grandaughters - 2.5 and 7 - they've had a lovely afternoon 'bug hunting' - started off in nana's compost bin and then off to their great gran's pond!

Sunnyday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)