Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Vouchers

We receive the NEF for our children. Today a parent asked me about the vouchers that she can use from her wages.

I honestly said to her that I have never had anything to do with them or how they work, but that I would find out.

so I now asking all you good people out there - HOW DO THEY WORK? what do I have to do to enable her to use them.

HELP!!!!!

Edited by BrendaS

If only life were simple - we accept them, but there's different kinds each with it's on method of payment!!

Best to ask the parent for details of the system she'd like to use then go from there. We're a pre-school and have no difficulty with them. Some come through as direct payments, and some are like the old 'luncheon vouchers' and we just ring to activate the amount on the voucher given to us. We've had to register with the voucher suppliers - but this has not been much more than a simple regisration form.

xxx

not used them ourselves but today just had a leaflet in post about this one

busy bees vouchers

i have had a quick look at the site and it is informative as to what they are etc

you will need details from the parent of which vouchers her company issues and contact them for details of their scheme, they are all slightly different..

from others I have heard they are easier than getting parents to pay you

Inge

They work well - when they work well! Money is taken from parents' wages before tax is taken - so the wage is lower, meaning their tax bill is lower. The money taken is transferred into vouchers which can be used to pay for children's sessions at participating settings, such as preschools, after school clubs, childminders and even some holiday schemes.

The trouble starts when you have lots of children who have vouchers - you get a statement from the company saying how much they have paid you - but they don't break it down into how much per named children, so there can be chasing up to do, and parents can feel a bit 'pig in the middle'. Some organisations have been poor at paying and have to be constantly chased up.

This was all about 5 years ago though, so hopefully things have improved. It may be worth chatting with other groups at trainings and cluster meetings to assess whether things have improved and which organisations are the most reliable, and whether they offer better information etc.

I'm registered with Sodexho. BusyBees, Accor and CareFor to accept payments for childminding.

The parents get the registration forms from their employer, one for them & one for me. I fill in my registration number, bank details and send a copy of my registration certificate to the voucher company. Takes an average 2-3 weeks to set up. You can opt to receive payments weekly or monthly. Parents can choose to have paper vouchers to give you which are activated on-line or by phone (I've yet to have anyone choose to do this, they prefer the automatic electronic set-up. They can set up payments in advance for 3 months to be sent automatically)

Each parent can claim up to £243 per month, so I often receive 2 payments from different companies for the same child - :o hey. it's all money!

I then receive an email telling me the parents X have requested a payment of £Y in respect of childcare for Z be made to me. Payment reaches me 2-3 working days later. Shows on my bank statement with parents name etc.

All the above systems work well, payments arrive promptly each month and saves time & hassle paying in cheques or cash at the bank!

Hope that helps!?

Nona

Edited by Guest

I am registered with Busy Bees, Accor and Early Years Childcare Vouchers. Some work better than others - but the ones I use make it clear which children the money is for. All are paid directly to my bank account, with a confirmation email before the money is credited. For me it is all very straightforward, and the parents find it easy and convenient to use.

Maz

There's a good letter in nursery world about what happens when/if the voucher company go 'belly up' with the parent's money.

Honestly I don't understand why an employer needs to buy a voucher - why can't they just send the money straight to the childcare provider and cut out the middleman - who must take a cut! Software exists to do this - and it's not rocket science anyway!

Honestly I don't understand why an employer needs to buy a voucher - why can't they just send the money straight to the childcare provider and cut out the middleman - who must take a cut! Software exists to do this - and it's not rocket science anyway!

probably because they are taken out of wage before tax and Ni reducing payments made to these, hence why they are good for parents to use.

Inge

Yes, but there's no reason why an employer couldn't take the money out in the same way and send it directly to the childcarer, as far as I can see. It could still be done before tax and NI in the same way

i have found problems with electronic method as it isnt broken down into chldrens names, our accountant told me one parent owed £2000! although they had prove dit had been deducted from salary, turned out it had been allocated to another child, some confusion as parents often have different surnames t0 children, i always recommend paper vouchers as it is easier to track, i find busy bees the most reliable, i actually use these myself to pay for childcare at the nursery i manage, i recive a voucher monthy, its a good scheme as you save arround £8o per month

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)