Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can't Believe What Has Happened.

This is my second year in a small rural school nursery/reception class. I took the job on the condition that it was part time but full time in the summer term but on a variable contract. It was also implied that I may be needed to work full term if the numbers were high in either the autumn or spring term. Last year that is what happened. This year I was told by our head who is leaving that this is what would be happening but 1 week before the end of term I have been told by mangement that this is not the case and I won't be full time, as you can imagine I am devastated, it is point 4 wages over 5 months. There is absolutately nothing I can do because I didn't read the contract properly. I am too trusting and felt I had no need to question this. They will agrue that my class is too small to warrant a full time teacher and seemingly this is what the new head has said but she hasn't started yet. As I have no proof that this was said there is nothing I can do. I am just gutted, my kids go to the school so I don't want to move them. I have really worked hard turning the class around and everyone is happy with the results. I just feel so let down.

Oh what a nasty shock. It's a shame the retiring head promised you this as she wasn't in a position to - unless the Governors had given their 'blessing'. It doesn't look like there'll be any redress for you, do you feel that numbers warrant a FT teacher in the class? What do they do when you aren't there?

Oh what a nasty shock. It's a shame the retiring head promised you this as she wasn't in a position to - unless the Governors had given their 'blessing'. It doesn't look like there'll be any redress for you, do you feel that numbers warrant a FT teacher in the class? What do they do when you aren't there?

They join a very formal year 1 and 2 class, what we were going to do is have more free flow so the kids on ieps and last years summer reception and some year 1 could join me.

So sorry to hear of your predicament Ger - and since I'm in pre-school I can't really offer much in the way of advice or support. I guess it is quite a timely reminder for people to get things confirmed in writing even if it does feel too formal and a bit uncomfortable.

Take care

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)