Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff!

oh, just me then?!?!

i started in jan as supervisor and am very aware their previous supervisor didnt last long! ...i have brought in a lot of new systems since starting and it just so happens that we are now starting to introduce 'my unique story' ...also our planning is changing slightly - not my fault blame the eyat!

my staff arent happy and complain alot about the amount of paperwork they now have to do ...i keep getting the 'i'm too busy, to do anymore' statement from them when i ask them to do something else!

it's not my fault! i didnt take on the job to make their lives difficult, it's just the way things are changing but also because bits weren't done properly before i arrived!

just had one of those mornings!!!

It IS hard. Are you able to give non-contact time? even 20 mins here and there can have an effect. My staff are trialling snack time as their paperwork time, they do the handwash whilst I prepare everything, then off they tootle into the adjoining room (door open) whilst I sit with the children and chat etc during snack. Then I help with coats and shoes and they go out with children whilst I do dishes. They also can use group song/story time to jot things down.

I'm also employing the cheapest member of staff (that sounds awful, but you know what I mean) to have some extra hours whilst the remaining staff get together to do their planning and write up obs etc.

Like I say, we're trialling the 20 mins bit - but so far feedback has been good.

I do all my planning etc at home in my own time.

It DOES seem a heavy workload at first, but as they get more familiar with the materials it gets better

Could you put off the planning change whilst they get to grips with the learning story? Also - your EYAT is only there to 'advise'. If your planning works for you, and you can justify why you do it that way, why are you changing?

its very difficult, we are in a church hall, everything is seperate e.g toilets, garden, kitchen, preschool room ...nothing is joining!!! a nightmare most of the time. we are currently running on minimum staff because of costs although we are always within ratios.

we have to do all our paperwork at home, just not practicle to do it in the setting, which i know the staff hate and i dont blame them one bit.

i have a good manager and she supports me really well.

i am also supervisor of an asc and doing my level 4 ...its really hard to have 2 completely different sets of staff/kids/parents/paperwork/key children!

the planning at the moment doesnt work great as i am pretty much expected to do it, ive tried so hard to get the staff to contribute but again 'i'm too busy!' keeps popping up!

i've resorted to giving up my free time between the 2 settings to help my staff with their paperwork but for me its not really the ideal situation.

could really do with some good advice as to how i can make things easier for them???

I really feel for you. We're in a church room too. Could they go to one end of the room? Presumably you are all making lots of post-it notes which are just to write up, which helps.

It isn't easy. Try and just do small bits at a time.

Try and have an evening out together to recharge your batteries - and your friendships. Buy them all a drink and thank them for everything they are already doing - make them feel valued, as they are far more likely to do things for you if they know you really understand and appreciate everything they are managing to do already.

it is always hard to start to introduce things when they ahve ben used to having everything completed for them....or not completed at all.

I found best way was to only introduce one thing a a time, and not move on until it had been mastered to a reasonable degree anyway, not always completely as often once under way and they undestood what I was getting at i would then ask them how we could improve it .

it took lots of time and did mean that for a while I was still doing large bit of the work, but eventually things turned around.

choose which you feel more important and work on that first, it all takes time, you have not been in the job long and I felt too many changes put staff against everything .

Inge

could you have a staff meeting or meet with staff individually and talk things through with them - talk about the need to change and why- encourage them to put forward their ideas on how things could be changed,perhaps they might be more receptive if they feel they have helped with the changes?

good luck keep us informed on how it goes

no, not really, approx a third of our children have speech and language / behavioural difficulties, one has one-one and a couple more desperately need it and 2 dont speak english ...it's very full on all the time and i desperately need my staff with the children at all times!!! i sometimes step away for 10 mins to "try" and get some stuff sorted but always end up being needed again pretty soon after.

I do think getting together outside of work is a good idea, not quite sure what they'll think about that though!

could you have a staff meeting or meet with staff individually and talk things through with them - talk about the need to change and why- encourage them to put forward their ideas on how things could be changed,perhaps they might be more receptive if they feel they have helped with the changes?

good luck keep us informed on how it goes

we very regularly have staff meetings, usually one a week just to do planning, often the manager will hold staff meetings as well but in a really strange way it makes me feel better when they go against her ideas too (not just mine!)

i dont know whether theyre struggling with the fact im a lot younger than all of them, infact half their age ...may be the route cause???

agree with inge never a good idea to introduce to many things in one go

try giving staff resposibility for different areas that need changing put them in an action plan, use appraissal time to find ut what there gripes are

we meet outside of session we have one paid staff meeting a half term and they would meet if needed without pay

how about providing lunch if you cant pay, i have done this, it is one way of helping the staff to feel valued.

what about an evening out for a meal to bond

Hi

I started at my setting 2 years ago and the behaviour of the staff was unbelievable. Even changing from giving the children biscuits to fruit at snack time was too much for some to bear. Needless to say they all left, I just have two exisiting staff left, who still moan about everything. One's appraisal says in answer to what do you find difficult 'Trying to do assessments in the session'. I do need to speak to her about this as it would be hard to do the assessments when the children have gone home!

The rest of my staff are brilliant and manage to get all their observations etc done. As Supervisor do you get any paid non contact time. I get 6 hours a week, which is something but it's never enough.

Stick at it, you will get there in the end. If you watch the staff who haven't got time to do anything they spend alot of time talking, in the kitchen, standing around. (sorry about that, but soooo true)

sadly been there too - you really can't introduce too much at a time. Staff hold on to past rituals deeply (even if they know deep down they are wrong). 5 years on all the staff I inherited have gone, but I have a team that believes in our values. You can do it - do some reading on change management. Think "the foundation stage teacher" has some (sorry can't move from sofa at mo.

Otherwise take it slowly - big steel underwear needed some days and chocolate!

You can do it - keep battling and you knwo where we are

no, not really, approx a third of our children have speech and language / behavioural difficulties, one has one-one and a couple more desperately need it and 2 dont speak english ...it's very full on all the time and i desperately need my staff with the children at all times!!! i sometimes step away for 10 mins to "try" and get some stuff sorted but always end up being needed again pretty soon after.

I do think getting together outside of work is a good idea, not quite sure what they'll think about that though!

First step, deep breath and give yourself a huge pat on the back for even identifying what changes are required within just 3 months of starting your post as supervisor. xD

Lots of good advice already regarding small steps with changes, enable staff to have some sort of ownership of changes by being involved in giving their ideas of how best to move forward to agreed goals.

Ask your EYAT to give advice on the practicalities of meeting her suggestions re planning etc. What has she seen work well elsewhere in other settings with similar children and staffing levels. Could she recommend another setting who may be prepared to share what works for them with you, a sort of local buddy preschool.

Also, have you asked for support from the local area SENCO (or inclusion co-ordinator), are you entitled to financial support for extra staff if you don't already have it.

As others have said in various ways, it will get better and yes we are here to listen and help, However, I also look forward to reading a post from you in the future which tells us about your lovely supportive staff team, because I know you are on the first steps to achieving this because your staff team have a very dedicated supervisor leading them. :o:(

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)