Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snails

That sounds great Emilia, that's how the best things evolve isn't it. WE just have to be on the look-out for incidents we can extend.

We have some snails in a tank (from the garden) and I think they are the most boring things in the world. They only seem to move at night, so in the morning we play 'find the snail' and then that's it. They stay where they are all day so nothing else to look at! We've enjoyed finding lots of other bugs and things, but I'm disappointed in the snails. Children saved cucumber and things for them from snack and everything!!!

[

We have some snails in a tank (from the garden) and I think they are the most boring things in the world. They only seem to move at night, so in the morning we play 'find the snail' and then that's it. They stay where they are all day so nothing else to look at! We've enjoyed finding lots of other bugs and things, but I'm disappointed in the snails. Children saved cucumber and things for them from snack and everything!!!

Cait we did the same with the snails and some slugs that must have bred because there were piles of slimy eggs in a corner of the tank when we returned after a weekend. All the staff thought that we were very clever to have nurtured them so well that they had bred- children were'nt interested at all. within a week everything was dead and the stench was d :o readful--never again!!!

That sounds great Emilia, that's how the best things evolve isn't it. WE just have to be on the look-out for incidents we can extend.

Cait - try 'spraying' them with tepid water - plant mister thingy - we have a Giant African Land Snail - that's part of his care - he loves it - can't see why it won't work with garden snails - sorry this is gibberish - what I'm trying to say is that it should 'wake them up' - get them moving and eating.

Sunnyday

Cait - try 'spraying' them with tepid water - plant mister thingy

Sunnyday

Hmm, yeah we tried this. We are now wondering whether they hibernate, because they really are just stuck to the side of the stone or the side of the tank. We've had them in the summer and they nip about all over the place, much more animated!

Hmm, yeah we tried this. We are now wondering whether they hibernate, because they really are just stuck to the side of the stone or the side of the tank. We've had them in the summer and they nip about all over the place, much more animated!

good point - I have to take ours home everyday - he would get too cold overnight in our setting and would then hibernate and/or die!

Sunnyday

Paint the inside of the tank with cornflour "paste" and they will eat it and leave trails

Paint the inside of the tank with cornflour "paste" and they will eat it and leave trails

I'll give that a go on Monday and let you know! Didn't know they were cornflour addicts! :o

Snails do hibernate in winter, one it warms up a bit you should find them getting more active.

If you put a big chunk of cucumber in they leave patterns on the skin as they eat but they need to be somewhere warm and moist to be active.

I guess it's still pretty chilly in the chapel at night - although that's when they are moving about. During the day when it warm because we're there they seem to be fast asleep!

I've tried cucumber - that's how we found out they weren't dead, i'll try the cornflour and put some damper moss in - there'll be plenty of it after all this rain today!

I've split this into it's own thread so that the two conversations don't get too confusing! And this way it's easier for others to find if they are having snail issues too. :o

Ah, wondered what had happened!

We've got 2 giant african land snails. I love them. If you want to wake them up put them under a running tap (tepid of course). They lURVE it!

Gonna try the cornflour thing too.

We had some of the compost pellet things left over from the Marie Curie Daffodil thing so I thought I use that for their tank. They hate it. Usually they'll bury themselves for days at a time but not at the mo. Better go and change it today methinks!

I've split this into it's own thread so that the two conversations don't get too confusing! And this way it's easier for others to find if they are having snail issues too. :o

you did that to really confuse me.. kept trying to find the post that Cait was referring too....

Inge

Sorry Cait, I meant to pm you to let you know but having not been on the forum yesterday (shock, horror!) I spent 3 hours this morning catching up. By that time it was lunchtime and I completely forgot. :o

Ah, wondered what had happened!

We've got 2 giant african land snails. I love them. If you want to wake them up put them under a running tap (tepid of course). They lURVE it!

Gonna try the cornflour thing too.

We had some of the compost pellet things left over from the Marie Curie Daffodil thing so I thought I use that for their tank. They hate it. Usually they'll bury themselves for days at a time but not at the mo. Better go and change it today methinks!

I love our snail too - really wasn't keen to have him at all when he was offered to us but now I think he's great. When I went on holiday last year, number two son and family looked after him, two days in to holiday I was busy texting my son - hubby said you're checking on the snail aren't you, I don't believe you, have you remembered to ask how our grandaughters are too!

Sunnyday

Haha - fantastic! My husband is like that with our goldfish - although he'd be the last to admit it!

Yesterday we were on our way home from Kendal at 5.30 - the fish's teatime - and he said, "Fish will be sulking, he'll be pacing up and down saying 'this is beyond a joke, where's my tea' " haha - well you gotta laugh, haven't you.

And yes - fish does know when it's 5.30, don't ask me how. He starts dancing in the corner, looking at the tub of fishfood and generally flirting about till someone notices, apologises and feeds him. He's 14 years old now at least (daughter got him in a fair when she was in year 5 - she's 25 next month)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)