Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sparklebox

blondie

• 2 weeks later...

There is some nice bits on communication4all as well as sparklebox.

Nowhere near as many resourses but few nice bits to download.

Go and see what you think to that site. It's worth a look

Click here for the Communication4all website.

Just downloaded some lovely Mother's Day writing frames for children to list all the things they love about their mums!

Thank you for recommending it, Vicky!

Maz

• 2 weeks later...
best to use a mix of these kinds of sites so rooms are not clones

That's my concern too, biccy. Otherwise it all gets very 'samey' and I'm sure children will stop looking!

Madgesty

Edited by Guest

I only have the occasional sparkelbox type thing if I absolutely can't do better myself.

Same here. Our displays certainly aren't taken over with Sparklebox. It's more used for teaching resources for games etc... that we use it for so it's not things that the children are always looking at.

I liken the use (or rather over-use) of Sparklebox resources to going on a training course led by someone who has just learned all of Powerpoint's bells and whistles and is keen to demonstrate their prowess by using almost every one on each slide. Death by Powerpoint can neuter the trainer's message because the learner is so irritated by the flashy shiny presentation. I worry that if every role play area or display has the same 'corporate' look because the labels, pictures and resources are produced from the same template, there will be nothing to entice or intrigue the child after a while.

That said, I'm not by any means saying that Sparklebox or other similar resources are inherently bad or inappropriate. Just that they need to be used sparingly for the best effect!

Especially when as Cait has said, you can't do better for yourself (or more likely in my case, because you've left it all to the last minute as usual and just don't have the time or headspace to think about it!). :o

Maz

Yup - I'm with you there! So often the use of sparklebox is to totally wallpaper the room from floor to ceiling and there is just no evidence of children doing any thing for themselves!! In the worst case scenarios it is used as a filler to prevent the need for doing displays at all and across my experience it seems to be used in reverse proportions to the degree of experience the teacher has!

Judicious use of anything makes it effective and there is really only so much sparklebox I can take!

Cx