Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Alone?

Ok you lovely people I think I know the answer to this but am interested to see if others agree!!

If a setting is registered to open from 8-6 and the 'odd' child arrives at 8am (3 at the maximum) and the vast majority of children arrive at 9:15 is it necessary to have at least two members of staff present from 8am? or is it OK for the manager to be on her own with up to 3 children for up to half an hour until other staff arrive at 8:30

Guest roopal

yes, Inge is right. we sometimes have only 1 or 2 children for a while but must have at least 2 staff, one of whom must have level 3 or above.

I also think about the "what if.." if something were to happen to the staff member who was alone whilst in charge of the child(ren). Suppose the member of staff were taken ill suddenly, who would take care of them and the children? Unlikely circumstance I know but ....

There's just me and a committee member most mornings, other staff take their own children to school so can't be with me. Parents are made aware that this is the case, it's usually only 5 or 10 minutes max

Many thanks for your replies. :o

I feel a bit of a twit for asking in the first place, but today was one of those days where I was questioning everything and doubting my ability to answer anything! :(

You have confirmed what I knew and thanks again xD

Many thanks for your replies. :o

I feel a bit of a twit for asking in the first place, but today was one of those days where I was questioning everything and doubting my ability to answer anything! :(

You have confirmed what I knew and thanks again xD

Oh you have days like that too - thought it was just me!

Sunnyday

It can be very hard, first thing, when staff have other commitments and can also be held up at school, but I think that so long as we remain sensible and aware or potential pitfalls, there are ways round it.

There's just me and a committee member most mornings, other staff take their own children to school so can't be with me. Parents are made aware that this is the case, it's usually only 5 or 10 minutes max

I guess that so long as your committee members fit the criteria of a suitable person, and are able to be counted as part of your adult:child ratios (and can be left in sole charge of a small group of children, or accompany others to the toilet etc) then you're covered. If this isn't the case, even if parents are aware of what is happening, then Mrs Ofsted is likely to have other ideas!

Do your committee members take it in turn to do this with you or do you always have the same person? You have to admire their commitment to turn up and do this kind of thing really - because obviously without them the children would need to start later in the morning to allow your staff time to get to work!

One benefit to having a committee? :o

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

She is a parent of a child, it's always the same one and she's CRB enhanced as she's on our Management Committee. Ofsted have been whilst it happened with no problem.

It'll all change in September though - we'll have to think of something else then!

your right there has to be two staff or rather 2 adults over 18, provided the first person is a level 3 CRB fit person cleared by ofsted to be left in charge the rules are very flexible as to who the second person can be, even a rota mum can count !

its more to make sure there are 2 people in the work place which is a h & S requirement anyway

I always think its a bit unfair when childminders are permitted to work alone day in day out.

its more to make sure there are 2 people in the work place which is a h & S requirement anyway

Very interested in this comment. One staff member left behind to tidy up room while other 2 staff take children to lunch club at school next door. Should this be allowed? Cant see the comm deciding that there have to be 2 staff!

As far as I'm aware there is no requirement for there to be two members of staff working at all times, unless they are looking after children. If there are no children present then one person is fine.

sorry my mistake about the two people in the work place

I misunderstood what had been said to me

there are times when H&S requirements state there should be two staff in the work place but it depends what the person is doing

I'm sure I've read something that states that no-one should be on the premises alone. I often am as I'm cleaning or doing odd bits of paperwork, but I'm always locked in and text my deputy when I leave.

the other important issue here is one of procting yourself and not leaving yourself open to any kind of allegations.

Geraldine - how could you ever doubt yourself!! ( :o )

Sue

xD I knew as I was typing the question what the answer was but at the time it was just one of those days where if you had asked my name I would have hesitated!! :(:(

UGH we all get those! During songtime yesterday I segued from 5 little caterpillars sitting on a leaf into 5 snails slither slowly! haha

one little caterpillar fell asleep - when he woke up, found that he could fly now there's ........... 3 little snails came outside to peep

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)