Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Aid

I am in a pvi setting and have always thought that staff need to complete a 12hour First Aid cert every 3 years and have a 3 hour interim upskill every year. But, I have heard that you only need to complete the 12hour course once and can redo 3 hour epdates each year now!!! Any one know the truth?

A similar question came up in our LA as they were offering a requalification which was a half day. Great thought me - one less thing to fit in. But I had my doubts and after I questioned it the course has been withdrawn. As far as I am aware it is required that you complete a 12 hour course every three years and is good practice to do annual updates unless required to by LA rules. Hope that helps you some.

I think it used to be the big course once and then the updates every 3 years, but it's probably changed - nothing surprises me any more. we'll probably have to have a full nursing qualification and then be registered SRN by 2015 too

I think it used to be the big course once and then the updates every 3 years, but it's probably changed - nothing surprises me any more. we'll probably have to have a full nursing qualification and then be registered SRN by 2015 too

hehehe!!!

sunnyday

Cait ... he he he

"By 2015 every early years seeting must have, by law, an EYP, a registered nurse, a midwife (all those young mums), a health visitor, a social worker, a GP, a solicitor and probably a Michelin starred chef and someone with the AA advanced drivers qualification"!!!!

he he he

pw1

Cait ... he he he

"By 2015 every early years seeting must have, by law, an EYP, a registered nurse, a midwife (all those young mums), a health visitor, a social worker, a GP, a solicitor and probably a Michelin starred chef and someone with the AA advanced drivers qualification"!!!!

he he he

pw1

Please don't give them ideas!!!!!

sunnyday

synic! I agree though!

i just had a look on page 54 of the ofsted first aid bit for schools and it is a bit misleading. I think it says that if you update each year you dont need to do the 12 hour course again, but I might be barking up the wring tree

sorry to Cait.. but SRN has to do the first aid in addition..... I should know.. got that already..... parents loved the fact a nurse was present every session as my deputy was too!

sorry to Cait.. but SRN has to do the first aid in addition..... I should know.. got that already..... parents loved the fact a nurse was present every session as my deputy was too!

Yeah - I know that really, when mr sister (who was SRN, RM etc) came to do my Brownie camp as first aider, she had to do first aid training.

Yeah - I know that really, when mr sister (who was SRN, RM etc) came to do my Brownie camp as first aider, she had to do first aid training.

Thanks all. guess its more overtime on the salary bill then!

I'm certain its 12 hours every three years. Our LA reimburse the first £50 too which helps a lot. In fact I'm starting yet another 12 hour course on saturday ( :o ) and its free from our CPD booklet.....

Yes I agree I thought it was 12 hours every 3 years. Our Borough used to help and subsidise our courses so we only had to pay £20 last year they took away the subsidy and now no one is doing the course unless they have to. I used to have every staff member qualified first aid now I'm down to a couple of us.

The courses are like gold dust as well they only get put on a couple of times a year.

I'm frustrated to high heaven as I have a First Aid at Work qualification ( which I've had for 15 years), the course is organised by the authority and tailored to the settings of the course participants. I did an initial training of 24 hours followed by 12 hours every 3 years to validate my certificate but I also have to do the Paediatric certifcate every three years too!

I'm frustrated to high heaven as I have a First Aid at Work qualification ( which I've had for 15 years), the course is organised by the authority and tailored to the settings of the course participants. I did an initial training of 24 hours followed by 12 hours every 3 years to validate my certificate but I also have to do the Paediatric certifcate every three years too!

I too have just done the paediatric first aid course. In my last job I also was the first aider at work. To be honest I found the first aid at work course to be much more detailed and it invoved practical testing (which you could fail) which the paediatric one didnt. Now I dont like taking tests but i felt the work one did ensure that we mastered it all. The paediatric one was a bit shocking in that Im sure some of the people there only practiced CPR a couple of times. It seemed that nobody could fail. You got the certificate for turning up. One lady had a bad neck and didnt do any practice at all and still got certificate. Just seemed a bit wrong for me.

Just to add fuel to the fire: two of us are also 'Appointed Persons' trained - that is to administer to fellow members of staff, adults etc which isn't covered by your paediatric cert.... Anyone else doing that or aware if its still compulsory?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)