Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Happy Thinking Day!

Cait

Sadly my days as a Brownie or Girl Guide are such a very, very long time ago!!!

My sons entered Cubs and then did what they often did - waited until I had bought the uniform etc. and decided it wasn't for them!

So I'm afraid I can't really remember what 'Thinking Day' is all about.

Expecting a visit from my Grandson aged 10 this afternoon - he's a keen cub so will hopefully get the low down from him - and hey how impressed will he be when I greet him with 'Happy Thinking Day'!!!

This forum is fantastic - keeps you ahead of the game in so many areas!

In the meantime a very happy thinking day to you all.

sunnyday

With just a tad of embarassment, me and my sister was kicked out of brownies and my older brother out of cubs, the younger one didn't get a chance to embarass my mum as she refused to enrol him! :o But never one to bare a grudge, Happy Thinking/Founders Day to you all.

Karrie

Our church service this morning was Thinking Day themed. At the end everyone who is or ever had been a Guide was asked to stand to renew promises. Almost the entire female congregation stood.

Al

How fantastic! It's the largest Women's movement in the world and the statistics are huge for the percentage of women who have had connections with it at some point in their lives.

Girlguiding UK is the United Kingdom's largest voluntary organisation for girls and young women, with about 575,000 members including about 65,000 trained volunteer adult Leaders

Girlguiding UK is a founder member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS), which currently has ten million members in 145 countries

What on earth did you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was sooooooooooo long ago I can't remember, but I'll ask my mum later. We also got kicked out of ballet classes, and had to sit with the priest during catechism classes..... and I'm not drawing a very good picture of myself & siblings am I? :o I think my mum was most embarassed though when my dad got banned from 'supporting' our football and netball matches for being a bit to 'vocal'.

Karrie

Happy Thinking Day everyone! Our thinking day celebration is next Saturday so that's something to look forward to! xD

Maz

PS You'd need to be very very bad indeed to be kicked out of Brownies these days! :o We often laugh about 'Asbo Brownie' - but I never imagined I'd actually know one, Karrie! :(

Hehe. He'll still probably look at you and say 'eh?'

Sad but true!

I'm sooooo glad that he is enjoying cubs though.

I look back at my Brownie days with such fondness - still feel immense pride that I was the first ever girl from my pack to 'fly up' to guides having gained all my badges - do they still do that?

Guides didn't go quite so well - only attended for a year or so and then got interested in boys! Couldn't possibly be seen in a Guide uniform - oh dear that's so shallow!

sunnyday

Well the Guide uniforms scarcely look like Guide uniforms any more - I had a triangular neck tie when I was a Guide (and Brownie) so that dates me!

Oh yes - I seem to remember that they were checked to look at the quality of ironing and tieing!

Now what about this 'flying up' business - I'm hoping that when my Grandaughters reach the appropriate age they will join Brownies - if I talk to them about 'flying up' will they have any idea what nana is talking about?

I don't know whether all packs still do it, but what we used to do was all the Brownies were at one end of the room in a horseshoe shape and all the Guides were at the other end, there was the toadstool in the middle, or the 'pond' or whatever and the Guiders - one from Brownies and one from Guides held the Brownie under her arms and ran up the room from Brownies to Guides, leaping her over the toadstool as they went! All great fun!

I don't know whether all packs still do it, but what we used to do was all the Brownies were at one end of the room in a horseshoe shape and all the Guides were at the other end, there was the toadstool in the middle, or the 'pond' or whatever and the Guiders - one from Brownies and one from Guides held the Brownie under her arms and ran up the room from Brownies to Guides, leaping her over the toadstool as they went! All great fun!

Brilliant - thats the sort of thing - but this only happened if you had earned all your badges!

The die was cast for me - horribly competetive at 10 and still waiting to 'grow out of it'!

Said to a dear friend recently when she asked me to join a quiz team - "oh no I couldn't do it with you, you won't care enough about winning" - waited for the ground to open up and swallow me - couldn't believe that I'd said that - luckily she didn't take offence at all!

sunnyday

So what is it? I've been Snowy, Tawny and Brown and when I was District Commissioner I was Eagle Owl (or Evil Owl as one Rainbow called me - haha - and that name stuck I'm afraid!)

Its Fluffy Owl.

They had the choice of 3 if I remember, Fluffy Owl, Barn Owl, Snowy Owl. Fluffy Owl was out voted 11 to 3! Some of the girls suggested Tea Owl get it Tea towel! Ah Brownies are such fun! :o

Beth

Well the Guide uniforms scarcely look like Guide uniforms any more - I had a triangular neck tie when I was a Guide (and Brownie) so that dates me!

Our Guider tried to introduce neck ties to our unit...

And she insepcted them for whether they had been ironed and whether they were tied properly!

Didn't go down too well.. :o