Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Uniform Or Own Clothes?

Hi Everyone

I just thought I would ask for your opinions on whether you think it is better to wear a uniform or own clothes in a playgroup setting.

At the moment we all wear a uniform but we are considering ditching them and letting staff wear their own clothes.

Personally, in my opinion, I think it looks better on a whole when staff members wear a set uniform. It has its benefits, one being that you dont ruin your own nice clothes and dont have to spend time on what you think you'll wear to work etc etc, and everyone looks smart and parents and children are able to recognise staff easily and quickly.

we preferred a uniform, well polo shirt , and fleece jacket. Children had the option to wear the same

reasons were several,

it was supplied so no cost so cheap! even though we had to buy own trousers.

saved our own clothes from being ruined (we could have worn tabards or aprons )

Identified us to parents and visitors at a glance (name badges? )

Children liked it when they could wear the same as us, often proudly telling us

getting dressed in the morning there was no worry about what to wear.

Inge

without a doubt uniform. It distiguishes the staff from anyone else, especially helpful for the younger children. It also creates a standard, without a uniform then you would have to have a dress code, which will let everyone know what is accesptable and what is not.

Claire x

We have always had uniform, It does look smarter and makes a more cohesive workforce. We are easily identifiable, and are proud to wear it, even at the end of the day as it works as free advertising too! I have also had grandparents come up to me because of the badge to say what a wonderful time their grandchildren had with us, and how they still talk about us - which is fantastic

HI

I work in a school teaching reception i actually would like to have say a polo top and fleece i wouldn't mind school logo. Our clothes need to be practical and trying to find clothes in the morning to wear well would make it so easy.

I'm going against the flow here xD but I'm against staff uniform but then I'm in a school. School does provide for staff, fleece jackets if they wish, I don't :( . I'm prefer to wear what I choose not what someone else chooses for me be it item, style, design or colour. :o

I have worked in various roles and a variety of establishments that required a uniform and have conformed but I prefer to be me.

At our pre-school we all wear uniform, usually polo shirt, sweatshirt and fleece with our group logo . The children also wear t-shirts and sweatshirts they really love the fact that they have the same logo on their sweatshirt as the staff do. It helps them have a sense of belonging as everyone looks the same.

I would also agree to all the other posts about being practical, smart, professional etc.

Thankyou for all your responces so far.

They are facinating and not quite what I was expecting.

I thought everyone would say they prefered their own clothes as they are all individuals etc please keep them coming.

It is going to be very interesting to see what our staff members feel about it when we raise it at the staff meeting in a couple of weeks.

I too would prefer uniform but working in a school doesn't give you that option so I opt to wear cheap but cheerful trousers tops etc. that you don'[t mind getting paint and glue etc. on. Obviously downside is that cheap clothing quickly gets shabby looking

Sorry, no uniform. I hate it. I am an adult and chose to be in the profession I'm in because of the individuality and creativity it suggests. I can see from a practical and whatto wear point of view, but I chose to work in a school/Nursery NOT in a job where uniform is a requirement. Make me wear a uniform and I leave!

Sorry, no uniform. I hate it. I am an adult and chose to be in the profession I'm in because of the individuality and creativity it suggests. I can see from a practical and whatto wear point of view, but I chose to work in a school/Nursery NOT in a job where uniform is a requirement. Make me wear a uniform and I leave!

have to agree to disagree!!! cant think of any thing worse than having too decide what to wear each day!!!!! at least if the babys had a bad night and im still half asleep i can pull on a polo shirt and fleece and be ready!!!! in other job as tutor/assessor had to dress really smart- suits etc- just not me!!! like my comfort!!!!

have to agree to disagree!!! cant think of any thing worse than having too decide what to wear each day!!!!! at least if the babys had a bad night and im still half asleep i can pull on a polo shirt and fleece and be ready!!!! in other job as tutor/assessor had to dress really smart- suits etc- just not me!!! like my comfort!!!!

just to note trousers as well!!! would cause a stir if just polo and fleece!!!!!

As a I go to various places I prefer it if people are in some kind of uniform so I know who's who.

I always wear black trousers and I've got a handful of tops that only get worn at work, I wouldnt dream of mixing work and home/pub clothes.

I'm with you jaycooks, i hate thinking what am i going to wear especially with having a baby and a little girl who i have to get out of the door to breakfast club. But yes do find wearing some trousers would go well with the polo top and fleecy. Tescos and sainsbury both have some for anything from £6-15 great for school i have a stock of black ones!!

I just find i'm wearing my tops that i have bought say for weekend and then wearing to school because i just pull out what i can. I just think back to the days in secondary school when there was a teacher that wore the same clothes week in week out i look at my wardrobe and don't want to be one of those teachers so a uniform would be great

I just think back to the days in secondary school when there was a teacher that wore the same clothes week in week out i look at my wardrobe and don't want to be one of those teachers so a uniform would be great

but isn't that what a uniform does?

some mornings i even remember to put on my socks and shoes!!!!!!!!

ok Im going to be silly ....but I hope underwear is also included

we dont wear a uniform but we have a tabard to wear over our own clothes Im like rea I keep a selection clothes specially for work so its not a major issue thinking what to wear to work but I frequently dont bother to put my tabard on and we have said as a team that a uniform would be nice we just cannt decide on what we are a mature team and dont think polo shirts would suit us all plus it can be seen as a bit casuall our setting doesnt have a budget for uniform so we are sticking to tabards

Im inclind to agree with the no uniform thoughts of being individual but uniform doesnt have to mean matching polo shirts with logo it can be simple dress code or an agreed colour scheme.