Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Prom Dress Madness!

For some reason or other my daughter (always a bit level headed) decided it was all a big joke and her and her friend went in facny dress...... I never thought she had it in her to do something so drastic - her and her friend wnet as 'romy and michelle' They had the time of there lives..they were the belles of the ball and the most photgraphed- and remembered pair of the night!

only cost a tenner for fabric- they made there dresses!!

xx

I am assuming you are all discussing the end of high school prom. I can top this (and ask you all to keep your fingers crossed for me at the same time). My eldest is in Y6 and last year the Y6 class had a "prom". I would like to say that it was all on a smaller scale but I have heard limos were hired and dresses cost about £50-£75!!! For 11 year olds!

I have been told it was because of pressure from the parents at the time so I will be mobilising the sensible parents this year to boycott it if it suggested again. Fortunately my daughter is extremely anti establishment at the moment so would probably wear jeans and trainers, but I certainly hope no fool suggests it again.

I have been there as well, and sincerely hope that the madness has passed by the time my 2 younger daughters are that age. My daughter insisted on the expensive dress (which has never been worn since!) and her and her boyfriend shared a limo with friends. My son and his girlfriend were much more sensible. He hired his suit, she bought a dress she knew she would wear again and they got her brother to drop them off in the family run around! :o

post-64-1234944938_thumb.jpg

post-64-1234944963_thumb.jpg

Wow Beau don't they look fantastic and what lovely girls- I do like the wee laddie in the kilt he's so smart!

Well I went off to look on ebay and dream about fitting into the gorgeous dresses there. A local Primary school has been having Proms for the last 4 years, complete with Limosines, but I can't imagine their parents are paying that amount for dresses...or are they! I'm probably really out of touch.

Maz we should have a FSF 'prom- meet' then we can all dress up, and the most adventurous will of course turn up in fancy dress. xD I shall come as a fairy-godmother, then I can wear a flimsy dress without people commenting too much about it being inappropriate at my age :o:(

They do look good. I think prom in year six is a bit over the top. Last year the local rag had a story about a preschool 'prom' but of course the girls were all in those princess barbie type dresses and the boys in shirts and ties. I can remember the sinking feeling I had. Mike had just reminded me about this - my brain had shut it out, but it's there again now!

Maz we should have a FSF 'prom- meet' then we can all dress up, and the most adventurous will of course turn up in fancy dress. :( I shall come as a fairy-godmother, then I can wear a flimsy dress without people commenting too much about it being inappropriate at my age :o:(

Now this is an idea I can get behind Jaqcuie! Then I could really increase my total of FSF members I've met this year (three new ones in two months isn't bad is it?). And I'd have met more if they hadn't sloped off whilst I was buying puppets... :(

Now the question is whether to attempt glamour or comic fancy dress? Well I can hear the stifled laughter at the thought of glamour, so comic fancy dress it is.

Any ideas anyone? xD

Maz

How about a pirate to go with FaceBook?

I've just had to change to English Cait - couldn't find what I was looking for and realised that the Pirate English terms might be the reason. I could be a pirate though - I already have Avast! behind... :o

Maz

I am assuming you are all discussing the end of high school prom. I can top this (and ask you all to keep your fingers crossed for me at the same time). My eldest is in Y6 and last year the Y6 class had a "prom". I would like to say that it was all on a smaller scale but I have heard limos were hired and dresses cost about £50-£75!!! For 11 year olds!

I have been told it was because of pressure from the parents at the time so I will be mobilising the sensible parents this year to boycott it if it suggested again. Fortunately my daughter is extremely anti establishment at the moment so would probably wear jeans and trainers, but I certainly hope no fool suggests it again.

My middle daughter is YR6 and some of the mum's have been talking about hiring limo's etc since last summer,I've already said no way. We didn't do this for the eldest, but she did get some rather nice leaving presents from us which I think she appreciated more and my daughter this year would rather this also. Both my girls are 'anti-establishment' so frou-frou dresses are a real no-no anyway. My eldest declined to make her First Holy Communion because it meant having to wear a frou-frou dress but as she doesn't have to for her Confirmation she's thinking of doing both at the same time! A blessing really as some of the girls dresses for their FHC cost £100+! We got a bridesmaid dress in the sale from BHS for my younger daughter and she looked beautiful.

Carol, your photos are gorgeous!

Karrie

Honestly I think the world's gone mad!!

Our school had nothing to do with our prom, and we had a "prom committee" who organised it. But of course the prom committee was made up of all the "it girls" who got exactly what they wanted for it and didn't listen to a thing anybody else said.

I don't even remember much of my prom.. just that there were various ticket prices depending on what you wanted. Me and my friends opted for the £10, single ticket with nothing included. But the most expensive ticket was something like £150 which included a room in the hotel it was in and breakfast the next day. :( When you worked out how much you were paying, it was actually so much more than if you bought a standard ticket and booked a room separately. But nobody was that clever obviously :o

Well.. we got there and it was a complete disaster. One girl had decided to buy aroung about £75 worth of stawberries for the chocolate fondue. Only problem being she'd bought them on the monday.. and they'd been in her mums car all week. xD

My friends and I left after about 30 minutes, and went to Waggamumma's for dinner! :(

We then found out there had been a huge punch up between some of the girls, because they found out that the girl who'd bought the strawberries had used some of her friends ticket money to buy her dress.

All in all, we had a better time at one of our friends house after a yummy meal, with a good film, and lots of chocolate. :(

Touche everyone! My Y11 daugther is coming close to being kitted out for the event. Dress from Monsoon sale in between Christmas and New Year, so great bargain. Transport booked and cost split, meal paid for, shoes and jewellery bought (Christmas sales again) Just evening bag to purchase. It's not been too bad for us as hubby and I both teachers, but I think schools should consider a payment scheme from about y9 onwards- some parents can't afford to fork out the amount we have in a lump sum .

I did suggest going in school uniform on the bus as a sure way to be different, but this fell on deaf ears....can't thinkwhy! At least other child is male.

on another note..what size is your daughter, i have a once worn metallic blue ball gown/prom dress in my wardrobe from my graduation ball, cant imagine i'll ever wear it again - got it from debenhams its a debut one :) quite willing to let it go on the cheap :)

on another note..what size is your daughter, i have a once worn metallic blue ball gown/prom dress in my wardrobe from my graduation ball, cant imagine i'll ever wear it again - got it from debenhams its a debut one :) quite willing to let it go on the cheap :)

OOH post a picture!

OOH post a picture!

call me a softy but ive give in!!!!! its so important to her ive give her the deposit to get it made!!! on the provision she saves up fot the shoes etc!!!!

call me a softy but ive give in!!!!! its so important to her ive give her the deposit to get it made!!! on the provision she saves up fot the shoes etc!!!!

Not a softy jaycooks, its sometimes difficult to go against the flow if all their friends are doing it, and who wouldnt like the opportunity to dress up in a glamourous outfit even if it was just for one night.

Luckily Sam had a suit for his that cost just £35.00 and next year Rich has already said he just wants shir,t tie, trousers and his leather, so a cheap night again.

Only you know what's right for her, jaycooks - and you've made it clear there are strings attached and that she needs to keep her end of the bargain!

I hope she appreciates what a lovely mum she's got! :o

Maz

• 2 weeks later...