Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Prom Dress Madness!

has any one got a daughter leaving school this year? mine is driving me bonkers!!! who ever invented the "prom" in this country should be shot!! she and her mates are soooooooooooo stressed over dresses-got to be the best/most expensive/designer etc!! they are only botherd what every one else thinks of it!! so much bitching-so snd sos is "vile" "minging" from "tk maxx" !!!!

she thinks she has found a bargain-can get a designer copy made for "only" £250!!!

i said no so she has thrown a major strop and gone out!! and its only at the school! (who are charging £35 per head!

ohhh and dont get me started on the vintage car to hire (limos are chavvy apparantly!!!

glad the babys a boy!!!

Been there and done this one. TWICE with the daughter and twice with the son!!!!!

Son easy enough to sort..... hire a suit. Shine his shoes!

Daughter was Ok though aout the dress and we did find fab ones from TKMax!

The cost though of the hair, nails and fake tan, tiara, shoes.....

Endless....................

But some gorgeous pics were taken!!!! :o

Gosh horror but I'd suggest daughter has a look on Ebay, I personally have found some dresses that come from China are fabulously beautiful (and reasonably priced), and she's certain not to have anyone wearing the same as her. :o

Peggy

hey boys are no different!!! My son left school last year and we had the same fuss ! He wouldnt have just any hire dinner suit it had to be the most expensive in the shop and the limo had to be a hummer (i think thats what it was called any way) His group of friends also hired a professional photographer to take photos at the venue as well. Your daughter will also want her hair,nails and makeup done so start saving up now!!!

Oh what happy memories. I've been their twice, with both my daughters.

My eldest one found her second prom dress on an American web site, and my younger one bought both hers from Hong Kong over the internet, and they were all sbsolutely stunning, and so reasonably priced.

Transport I'm afraid was local, but slit between a group of them it wasn't too bad.

All contributed to loveley nights and happy memories :o

she hasnt mentioned entertainment- she and her mates will find there own talking about everyone else!!! cant believe how shallow they all are!!!!

forgot about nails, tan, hair etc!!!

good idea peggy ill definately have alook on ebay!

Well it was around here when my son left ( and he is 24 ) so a while now...

but being a boy it was hire of a suit but not just any, his had to be a white jacket and bright coloured cummerbund, and the hire of the white stretch limo.....

but theirs was at local big hotel with all the trimmings, and they had a coach to bring them all back at end of the night as it was about half hour away....

I do have some lovely pics

Since then though a lot of the daughters of friends actually hire their dress......

Inge

i don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but i was talking to a coulpe of friends that are going through the prom thing this year with their daughters and one of the girls friends wants a helicopter to take them to the prom yes i did say helicopter what a joke the thing is the parents were actually contemplating it :o what are they are going to arrive at their weddings if they want to fly to their proms!! i'm glad i had boys!!! xD

i don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but i was talking to a coulpe of friends that are going through the prom thing this year with their daughters and one of the girls friends wants a helicopter to take them to the prom yes i did say helicopter what a joke the thing is the parents were actually contemplating it :o what are they are going to arrive at their weddings if they want to fly to their proms!! i'm glad i had boys!!! xD

maybe im getting off lightly then!!!! at least ive got 15 years till the next one to save up for whatever the in thing is then!!!

Aaaaaaarrrrgggggghhhhh! Who mentioned the "P" word??!! It is BANNED in our house...for the time being anyway! The dress has been purchased - three times! Don't ask..suffice to say we've returned the previous before buying the next so not as expensive as it seems. She now has to show the colour to her partner - another stressful decision - so that he can get a tie to match.

As far as transport goes, yes, we've heard that a limo is too chavvy as well. Not that we had agreed to that, she merely discounted it before getting down to serious discussions about what she could have! Her Dad is very keen to be the driver of the transport, he's a bit of a car anorak, so he's on the case to see what he can hire for her and three friends.

Oh and by the way, someone in the year above her had her dress made for £400! :oxD

Oh the dreaded prom - yes its all madness and we all seem to get hooked up in it - but a helicopter - I think that's stretching it. My daughter's is next year and is already talking about it................ my son who is now at college but should be at school will miss out and I have to say I am a little upset as he will not be able to go - or at least I don't think he will - it;s sort of a passing over to perhaps adulthood - yes it is expensive, it is a pain but I will remember the day as I am sure my son did and my daughter will as well and hopefully my other son if he gets to go.

I will try China/Hong Kong - any idea on search engines for this

Nikki

There is a shop in town which only has one of each dress so they can't sell two dresses the same to girls at the same school. You have to phone to make an appointment and say which school you are, girls can't wander in on their own, they need a responsible adult with them - an by appointment only! There's a lot of money in it, obviously. Cheapest starts at £175

My daughter, aged 24 says she feels very cheated that she didn't have a prom. Would have loved to do it, in fact they (she and her friends) asked if they could do one, and the school said 'no' then did it the following year when she'd left

I would love a prom dress... but sadly my school days are long gone! MrsWeasley has also gone past that stage thankfully, and I doubt either of my boys will be much interested either. Phew!

Now what about my 50th? Should I make a bid on a nice dress and see if I can book the fire engine/firemen now or wait til nearer the time? :o

Maz