Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff

have to get this off my chest AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i had a member of staff come in and say got new job and not coming back or giving notice

thanks said i

well its ok you can run the session with 3(no not legally)

or 4 (no not if i want the best for my staff and children)

well im off heres my folders

why do people think its ok to do this ???

letting every one down i am all for doing whats right for yourselve you have to come first but this was a big let down by someone who had only been with us a term but said she loved it

obviuosly not enough!!

all that inducting,buddying

thanks guys rant over sorry if spelling rubbish just had to go with literacy flow :o

thats a sore point for us because we are awaiting contracts from employer (small curch run organisation) i asked for these last summer !!

but i also work for a large supermarket and to be honest for this kind of thing contract are useless becuase no you wouldnt take someone to court ( i know the supermarket would not)

it would hopefully make some one think twice before walking out

and also i dont want someone working for me who is not committed to the children or colleagues

so maybe a lucky escape

This happened to me.. but she left mid session!

and she did ask for a reference.....

Must admit to being very honest on reason for leaving! and apart from that only the dates she worked for me!

Don't know if she got the job but not had another request.....

She lost the wage she was due too.. in lieu of notice.....committee decided this one... dont know if it is legal but she never queried it!

Inge

That's awful! I hope it doesn't cause too much distress for the children. Funny if they bump into her at the supermarket and say in a lovely clear voice "You are the lady who walked out, aren't you!" :o

How awful!!! Know how you feel though i had one who text me to say she wasn't coming back and yes she did ask for a reference!!!!!

I would have no problem saying in a reference that a person gave notice in this way, or that no notice was given. Did you ever ask why she gave notice in this way?

This has reminded me of a situation in an office many years ago when we had offered a position to an applicant. The boss suggested she go off sick during her notice period so she could start with us a bit earlier. Being the straight laced person I am, I asked if this was entirely ethical but he replied that it was her current employer's problem and not his. And of course it became his problem a couple of years later when she moved onto another job, and went sick during her notice period - effectively giving three days' notice...

What goes round comes round, they say!

Maz

In 10 years of having my own business I have had notice give by:

text,

after a 2 hour staff meeting organising who was doing what and when (back in the days of heavy planning)

uniform and books left in a box on the door step with a 2 lined note saying not coming back

being told that they were going for an interview and probably would take the job (I did tell them to take the job!!!!)

It never fails to amaze me how people have no idea on the repercussions of handing in their notice!!! It seems to be a very old fashioned way of putting it as no-one these days seems to hand in their notice. Although saying that I have had some give me very nice letters, and those are usually the ones that you don't want to leave.

My philosophy now is that the way a person hands in their notice says alot about that person!!!

Its just the hassle that goes with them leaving is always the main problem

Good luck finding some new staff

steph

uniform and books left in a box on the door step with a 2 lined note saying not coming back

Well there's my plan for next Monday gone up the chimney then steph! Will have to think of another way now! :o

Just to let you know, I spoke to ACAS the other day has I am having major issues with work. Anyway ACAS says that in leiu of a contract the minimum Statutory Noitce is ONE WEEK! So people cannot just walk out of a job and into a new one, not sure about school holidays though.

Beth

Mmmm wouldn't want someone there who didn't want to be there tho' Nasty business this - especially the references issue. I've had problems with ex-staff shouting and swearing at me down the phone becuse they've had a less than glowing reference - even if it was truthful. It seems that unless you can write a 100% perfect reference you probably shouldn't write a reference at all. Now when we do references we give it to the staff member before they leave - they can choose to hand it over to their new employer if they want to. Definitely had my fingers burned!

So people cannot just walk out of a job and into a new one, not sure about school holidays though.

But she has, Beth! As hali says, is there any point pursuing someone who leaves without giving notice?

It seems that unless you can write a 100% perfect reference you probably shouldn't write a reference at all. Now when we do references we give it to the staff member before they leave - they can choose to hand it over to their new employer if they want to. Definitely had my fingers burned!

This seems like a good idea. In the past when I've struggled to write a reference I've just confirmed the start and end dates, and what their responsibilities were. The person who receives the reference then has to draw their own conclusions... :o

Maz

THANK YOU GUYS......YOU HAVE MADE ME SMILE and no she hasnt yet asked for reference my guess is she went back to her old jolb which she left becuase she hated it?? o well thats life too much to think about...... need to start my portfolio for our i caqn talk accreditation !