Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Give Up

Rea

After cleaning, rearanging, vacuuming, polishing, striping beds, emptying bins, removing laundry and generally tidying up and decluttering the lads rooms today I felt I should warn them when they came home from school.

"I've done your rooms today. Keep them tidy" I instructed

"Till when?" was the reply.

I ask you! :o

Hi - as much as we find it hard - we just have to leave them to live in it until they decide they want clean clothes etc................................................I walked into my daughters room today - I iwent to work at 7.30am - she had her first lesson at 6th form at 1pm - "why should I clean up"....................... :o

It's all so futile....I skim around the edges and hardly ever tidy my children's rooms, it's up to them...and looking at my own bedroom I wonder where they get there untidy habits from. :(:oxD

I just warn my girls they're dad's poked his head around their door, and believe me that's enough to send them running up the stairs. He empties every drawer, cupboard, box, bag etc into the middle of the floor and leaves them to get on with! My youngest came home from school today, went upstairs, tidied his room and put away his clothes without a word being said to him! He's 5, how long can I expect that to last for I wonder?

Karrie

I well remember two occasions with my daughter:

1 - A strange smell my husband felt the need to investigate............. a couple of carrier bags full of furry green citrus fruit and a diabolical pair if shoes later, one sweet bedroom. Distraught daughter - he'd chucked out her shoes for work!!(Sainsbury's whilst a student) Not so effective, as we ended up buying her new ones - but at least they weren't plastic so didn't stink so much :o

2 - same daughter! Decided to tidy her room (Mother faints dramatically and completely!) Emerged hours later triumphantly waving not one, but two pairs of highly decorative Doc Martens (it was a few years ago!!) "Look what I've found!!" She started being tidy after that - wonder why?

Strangely, my son has always been tidy - could this have anything to do with all the expensive guitar equipment, lighting bits and pieces and his very own mini-sound desk????? :(

Sue xD

My 13 year old and 7 year old share a room, so you can imagine how bad it is!! Went in there last week (try to avoid the room as much as possible) and the only part of the carpet I could see was where the door had just shoved the c**p out of the way!! :o

Well I have one tidyish bedroom. Well I don't have enough space for my clothes, yes I need to chuck some out been meaning to for a year lol. I also have one of the 2 printers (yes 2!) with paper at the side in a tidy pile!

Oh and my poor mum does the hovering/dusting in my bedroom as I have an allergy to dust! lol

Beth

My youngest is so untidy and a couple of months ago I told him I was never going to tidy his bedroom again (you know those threats we make which are impossible to carry out!). Well it lasted a couple of weeks and got to the point where there was so much on the floor you could not tell the colour of his carpet. He was not in the slightest bit bothered and it drove me crazy. I spent the whole of the Saturday in there cleaning (he helped me for the first 20 minutes before he drove me mad and was told to leave, with a big smile on his face I must say). Kids!

What worked for my lads was me telling them that I understood that they were their rooms and I had no need to go in so they could keep their 'pig sties' otherwise known as horrible, messy, dirty rooms forever. The only conditions were that they did all their own washing and that the doors were kept shut at all times.

My conditions were imposed so that I didn't have to go in there and so that 'any live form wouldn't crawl onto the landing' - within 24 hours I had 4 tidy bedrooms and several years on with only 2 still at home you could eat you dinner on their bedroom floor they are so spotless.

I also got an added bonuse as they did their own washing and still do!

I did much the same .... told my son that it was his room and I did not venture in.. up to him.. to begin with any washing he wanted doing had to be put out on a set day... then at about 16 he had to do his own...... once he realised I really was not going to do it he began to become tidier... For me it was learning that he had to take responsibility at some time if I did not want to be doing it forever!

And I foiled him of the door slamming in his teens whenever he was angry at me by removing the door!! He only had a curtain at his bedroom door for a while... worked he never slammed a door in anger again!

Cruel mum!

Inge

:( :wacko: xD bless Rea had to do my daughters this afternoon - could stand it no longer!!!! :rolleyes:

You can do mine too if you like hali? :(

He empties every drawer, cupboard, box, bag etc into the middle of the floor and leaves them to get on with!

My dad offered to help me tidy my room, after totally sorting it out for me when i royally messed it up.

So I said "Thanks. I don't want you to help me though, I want you to DO it!" and he said he doesn't mind doing it for me, but I won't get any choice in what gets binned because everything will! :oxD

So I'm debating about whether I should just let him throw absolutely everything out! :(

When my friend was due to move we giggled about how on earth her daughter was going to cope with moving her indescribably messy room. After a little thought we decided that one of those leaf blowers switched to 'suck' was probably the best idea............ just switch it to 'blow' when they got to the new house!!!!!

Have you seen this fab clip on you-tube?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7R9SFBLvIk