Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creativity In The Early Years

After reading some of the other postings, I wondered if any of you would help me by participating in my research into creativity in the early years. I have compiled a questionnaire to explore whether creativity is being promoted in settings and if staff are using the new EYFS to support their planning.

Thanks in advance.

If there is a problem downloading I will put my email address in the forum.

What_type_of_setting_do_you_work_in.doc

Welcome to the forum, mrsblazer

I have filled it in (sorry I've gone on a bit - but this is one of my passions). I did my Foundation Degree research project on how gender stereotyping of pink and blue affects how children take part in creative activities in pre-school, so I will be very interested to see your research when you've finished!

Good luck - hope you get lots of replies.

Oh and a warm welcome to the Forum - make yourself at home won't you?

Maz

After reading some of the other postings, I wondered if any of you would help me by participating in my research into creativity in the early years. I have compiled a questionnaire to explore whether creativity is being promoted in settings and if staff are using the new EYFS to support their planning.

Thanks in advance.

If there is a problem downloading I will put my email address in the forum.

Hi mrsblazer and welcome to the forum. :o I hope you managed to get the replies you need for your research - unfortunately I am not working in a setting at the moment so can't help you out.

I just wanted to point out that we do not allow email addresses to be posted on the open forum. If anyone has a problem they will be able to message you via the forum private messaging system and you can give people your email address by this means if you feel you need to. xD

Thanks for the advice Beau. I was concerned so set up a new email account that I can close. To everyone who has responded a very big thank you I appreciate you taking the time. I will let everyone know my findings which should be early April. Anyone else wishing to participate your opinions would be much appreciated.

I am trying to discover if and how practioners are promoting creativity in the early years, what types of successes they have, what barriers they have to overcome and if the new EYFS supports them.

If you do not fancy the questionnaire I would appreciate any responses/ thoughts you may have on the subject.

Thanks again.

Mrsblazer, I dont think we can offer a truely creative environment until we can do away with routines. I appriciate that wont happen, but its hard to be really creative if you have to stop for snack, nappies, lunch, register, circle time etc.

I also know that there are ways around these routines from reading posts on the forum, but its sometimes about having the will, the understanding and the confidence to put the creative curriculum first.

Thank you Rea, I had found the article. Trouble is I've read so many journals, books and articles which all tell me what most of us know is good practice but in reality it is not happening in settings. I am trying to discover the reasons why practitioners can not deliver what they know is a good thing for the children.

Routines do disrupt the day but at the same time children need routines to help them feel secure. I am looking at physical obstacles as well as others. Details such as brand new purpose built settings being fully carpeted, sinks or washing facilities not in the room etc.

I'd be grateful for anymore.

Thank you Rea, I had found the article. Trouble is I've read so many journals, books and articles which all tell me what most of us know is good practice but in reality it is not happening in settings. I am trying to discover the reasons why practitioners can not deliver what they know is a good thing for the children.

Routines do disrupt the day but at the same time children need routines to help them feel secure. I am looking at physical obstacles as well as others. Details such as brand new purpose built settings being fully carpeted, sinks or washing facilities not in the room etc.

I'd be grateful for anymore.

Hi, I'm new to the Forum and am finding it all very interesting and useful.

We have just been inspected and the inspector was impressed by the way we didn't let ourselves be restricted by the mainly carpeted area. I do use sand/playdough and paint on the carpet area, bt try to encourage the children to take care. It doesn't always work and at times i have a very grubby carpet....but the children are getting the opportunity to be creative! :o

Vicky

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you who have responded and given me loads of data. If anyone has downloaded the questionnaire there is still time to get it back to me. Lecture today on how to analyse the data so will get some feedback to you soon.

Thanks again your help has been much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

From the data collected from the questionnaires and observations it would appear the majority of practitioners are fully aware of the importance of supporting the development of creativity in the early years but very few of us can carry it out to our best ability because of the barriers in our way. The building, the layout, the routines, the ethos of the setting, the lack of support from colleagues and the pressure for the children to produce something as proof of what they have achieved. It has highlighted how few practitioners have been able to access training on creativity and that there are still people out there who think creatvity is just about painting and sticking!

It has been amazing to see how creativity is interpreted in different settings and reinforced my views on how creative children are because if they are not given the resources they need then they'll find something else to use!!!!!!

A very big thank you to everyone who filled in the questionnaire. With responses from this forum and others I handed out, a total of 106) I had 72 completed forms returned. :o

A very big thank you to everyone who filled in the questionnaire. With responses from this forum and others I handed out, a total of 106) I had 72 completed forms returned. :o

Good percentage of responses then - well done you!

Maz

It has highlighted how few practitioners have been able to access training on creativity and that there are still people out there who think creatvity is just about painting and sticking!

xD

The PLA in Birmingham were going to run a course called 'Creativity in the EYFS' last year, (I know because I'd been asked to run it). It all went to the wall though when not enough people applied and now I'm not sure if it runs at all. How about if everyone got onto their local PLA training person and asked about it.

Glad you've spent your Easter hols wisely mrs blazer :o

Edited by Rea

• 2 months later...

A huge thank you to all of you who helped with my dissertation research, it helped me to get a first in my dissertation and an overall first class honours degree. :o

Many, many thanks from a very happy lady!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)